What is a good image viewer for Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
musther

#1 Post by musther »

Just wondering what people think is a good Image Viewer to run in puppy, I just need something which is basic, has easy scrolling through images, supports full screen and is easy to get working. I quite like Mirage:

http://mirageiv.berlios.de/index.html

Which would be nice to run (if somebody would like to build a dotpup), it only seems to depend on PyGTK 2.6.0 or newer and GTK 2.6.0 or newer, so it's not too over the top, should run quite well on older puppy machines don't you think?

oli

#2 Post by oli »

I use GQview which is very comfortable and already available in Puppy. A smaller image viewer is xzgv. If you need this one I can try to build a dotpup.

Oli

WhoDo

Re: What is a good image viewer for Puppy?

#3 Post by WhoDo »

musther wrote:Just wondering what people think is a good Image Viewer to run in puppy, I just need something which is basic, has easy scrolling through images, supports full screen and is easy to get working. I quite like Mirage:

http://mirageiv.berlios.de/index.html

Which would be nice to run (if somebody would like to build a dotpup), it only seems to depend on PyGTK 2.6.0 or newer and GTK 2.6.0 or newer, so it's not too over the top, should run quite well on older puppy machines don't you think?
Try XnView from the PSI (Puppy Software Installer) repositories under Graphics. It's a great viewer, but also supports all sorts of format conversions - even wbz (Webshots). I can thoroughly recommend it.

musther

#4 Post by musther »

oli wrote:I use GQview which is very comfortable and already available in Puppy. A smaller image viewer is xzgv. If you need this one I can try to build a dotpup.
Thanks, I would very much appreciate you having a go, but only if it's not too much trouble. I like it's simplicity.

About xnview, I'm not sure what license it's under, but it certainly isn't completely 'open', so I'd prefer to give that one a miss.

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

musther wrote: About xnview, I'm not sure what license it's under, but it certainly isn't completely 'open', so I'd prefer to give that one a miss.
How about Freeware PD? Xnview is completely and entirely FREEware! This is from their website:
Note : For commercial use, it is necessary to register. It is a help for the development of future versions. XnView for Linux, FreeBSD are FREE also for commercial use.{my emphasis}
Note that the most stringent requirement is to "register", not pay. If you think about the developer's licencing requirements, he is actively encouraging business towards Linux/Unix and open source! That deserves to be supported, IMHO. 8)

Cheers

musther

#6 Post by musther »

Thanks for the insight, I didn't find that license note on the website. I agree with your opinion and will give xnview a go. It's features certainly sound very useful.

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

Just to say I'm very impressed with GqView!
Compared to it GtkSee is a real clunker, and I couldn't figure out how to use XnView.

Henry

JohnMc

XnView

#8 Post by JohnMc »

I just tried the dotpup for XnView and get a file integerity error when I attempt to install it.

Any ideas??

amish

Re: XnView

#9 Post by amish »

if pupget is not working for you, try downloading a dotpup from the forum, a website, or http://dotpups.de directly.

lastly, you can scroll through images in gtksee (included with puppy) just highlight one filename and scroll up and down with the arrow keys.

there is another way to use gtksee, we figured out recently in irc.

under options, select fullscreen. click an image in the folder you want, and move from one image to another using pgup and pgdn.

i also use irfanview in wine, which is fine for viewing images, but i can't make it view videos. there's always thumbnail view in rox, too...
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

JohnMc

#10 Post by JohnMc »

amish,

Excellent suggestion and I was not aware of the site you pointed me to. Downloaded XnView from there and launched it, installed perfectly! Thx!

XnView works very well in my view. Does all the things I want of a image viewer. Probably the only thing I would add would be some means to trigger the slideshow feature as a screensaver. But no matter.

amish, again thanks for the tip.

amish

#11 Post by amish »

no... thank YOU... i hadn't heard of xnview :)

that site is run by mu... he's a wizard and we're all lucky he's here. he's made a number of the utils in puppybasic. anyway glad it helped.

hamoudoudou

XNview, big too, but available in French ToOppy repository.

#12 Post by hamoudoudou »

Old subject.. Regarding post of newbie on Puppy where he told that gwenview was nice, i check it im PPM tarpup 6.0.5. 152Mbs will be occupied. I remember XNview, big too, but available in French ToOppy repository.
Nice !
You can use Shotwell with Triton (tahrpup) as included in ISO by petichar, te Puppy creator
Topic Triton
PS :i believed it was Musher searching topic. Musther ! Never mind. Information about XNview and Shotwell are still valides
Attachments
XNview.jpg
XNview SFS provided by Arglance (France)
(97.66 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

mikeslr

XnView.51

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi musher0, hamoudoudou,

XnView51, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c3e#659469, 26 Mb. As noted above, it runs under Lucid and Slacko. It also runs under Tahrpup 6.0.6. Doesn't have all the "Bells & Whistles", but does the job.

mikesLr

hamoudoudou

Shotwell improves nicely your pictures (automatic adjustment

#14 Post by hamoudoudou »

merci mikeslr.. Your version dowloade and when saving 'would you want to replace it' it was yet here. in my tool case.
Shotwell improves nicely your pictures (automatic adjustment.