Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 14 Sep 2014, 22:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Hybrid HDD - anyone tried one?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
grump

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 08:28    Post subject:  Hybrid HDD - anyone tried one?
Subject description: Hybrid HDD - anyone tried one?

And how did it work? Any significant performance difference?

I'm thinking of replacing the HDD in my laptop.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 13:15    Post subject:  

Yes dramatic with Windows not so much with linux ( there was a bad bug that effect linux filesystems in early versions no longer In market I think its hardware rejects linux filessystems into the SDD part ) I am currently testing a frugal run SFS file from a NTFS partition from such a device ) linux runs so fast on this machine I can't tell..
does need a few reboots to have speed go to max. However there are methods and setting which allow puppylinux and fatdog64 to run even faster without harddrives and cheaper too. Shocked just need more RAM...
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 13:21    Post subject:  

follow up.. I transfered a harddrive used with Vista based laptop in my windows8 it was a seagate 500G hybrid. The Win8 speedup was well worth the effort. Shocked I now only hate win8 half as much Wink really smoothed out its odd slowdowns.
grump

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 07:01    Post subject:  

I ended up putting a 750Gb WD black in the laptop. It goes alright, but not the dramatic improvement I expected. At least I've got nearly 500Gb free now.

I used Macrium to clone the old drive, then did some tidying up in Win7 with easUS (?) partition manager. After a few restarts, a defrag (Defraggle) etc it is all good.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 13:54    Post subject:  

Is that a hybrid drive? with ortinal Windows vista on the same seagate hybrid it took about two weeks for it to load smoothly and gain max speed. However with Win8 it was only a few reboots over a day or so. But I move Win8 to a very old small harddrive and it was so small it used SSD drive settings ( saw the install script used ) So when reloaded via image to larger than orginal drive it still contained SSD drive settings so I think that is why it improved so rapidly.
Give it a week.
grump

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 22:08    Post subject:  

Ted - it's an ordinary 7200rpm HDD. The original was a 320Gb Hitachi 5400rpm HDD.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 00:15    Post subject:  

grump wrote:
Ted - it's an ordinary 7200rpm HDD. The original was a 320Gb Hitachi 5400rpm HDD.

Yes looked it up after I posted. Saw a 1T hybrid seagate for 18 dollars more. Tempted to buy one. I also have a 750G WD unsure black or blue label. It is a headache the low power modes have caused havoc with my systems especially in systems with more than one drive. I finally used it in my linux based PVR and by itself do not trust it for computing or tasks that require file security. It does nicely with my Mele 1000 and its a true low powered device total watts used was less then 10W per hour in read mode for video player.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: