What Motherboard

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Moose On The Loose

What Motherboard

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I tend to prefer Asus mother boards but I see that they are not all listed as 100% compatible with various versions of Linux. I intend to install 528.

Suggestions?

ardvark

Re: What Motherboard

#2 Post by ardvark »

Moose On The Loose wrote:Suggestions?
Hi...

I've read that Intel based (or branded) boards are well supported but as with any prospective Linux system, I would definitely research the particular board and the individual chipsets to make sure. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Moose On The Loose

Seeing that you're considering Puppy-528 any old 32bit MB will satisfy its need. Thus your cost can be in the $10(US) range ($20 with CPU-RAM onboard).

The issues, that I am aware of, relates to new MBs and Linux matching chipsets with drivers. This has always been a problem as MB manufacturers steer/skew their testing staffs for dominant OSes.

Otherwise, you can give ASUS a call for advice. I would expect that almost every MB you select will see Linux operate on it (sometime, you "may" have a waiting period for the kernel to catch up but probably not very long should you have any problem).

Since we are seeing 64bit Linux distros turning up everywhere, you should expect that your new MB-CPU will house those without much issue, especially since most of them are catering to the newest Linux kernels.

Important to insure that the peripherals attachments are the most current (USB3), LANs, RAM slots, ports for cards; and that the CPU has the features you will want (hyperthreading/KVM/etc).

Also, be aware that some MBs may have SDXC capability where you will be able to use SD/microSD media up to 2TBs; currents do not allow these potential massive storage on that media.

Hope this is helpful.