new old topic - Arduino under Puppy Precise

Using applications, configuring, problems
thewrightman

new old topic - Arduino under Puppy Precise

#1 Post by thewrightman »

The demise of XP gave me the push. Get Puppy Precise running on ancient laptop then I could keep the development machine in a drawer in the workshop when not in use.

Sounds easy. Linux users claim that it soooooo easy to install programs - and most have been, but Arduino is the exception. No idea of what I have done wrong and cannot apparently correct it.

Don't want useless style travel advice i.e. don't start from here. The old laptop is what I have and that is what I should be using. So, does anybody know of an idiots guide to getting Arduino up and running under Precise?

Thanks for the help,

Ian

P.S. Even as a new kid on the block I can appreciate some of the charm of Linux. More is undoubtedly to come!

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

hello thewrightman,

not sure how you tried to install the arduino ide but, as it's java based, you can download either the 1.0.5 ide, (or the 1.5.7beta depending on which board you have) from here, extract it anywhere, and the ide should work...providing you have a working java installation.

For a working java install, see Shinobar's thread here, for a java sfs file.

The latest is jre-1.8.0.05.sfs. Just download to /mnt/home, right-click, then select sfs-load.

thewrightman

Thanks for the reply

#3 Post by thewrightman »

Thanks for the reply Muggins.

I did what you suggested namely:

1) "For a working java install, see Shinobar's thread here, for a java sfs file.

The latest is jre-1.8.0.05.sfs. Just download to /mnt/home, right-click, then select sfs-load." Useful tip with the right click.

2) downloaded the 1.0.5 ide

but still no joy. Nothing happens when I try and launch Arduino. Do I ned to modify a config filw somewhere so that Arduino can find the Java installtion?

I try again at the weekend but thanks again.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Since I didn't have an install of precise, I downloaded precise-5.7.1.iso & did a frugal install. I then downloaded jre-1.8.0.05.sfs, right-clicked & selected sfs_load. (i checked it was working by just running the command java in a terminal.)

Then I downloaded arduino-1.0.5-linux32.tgz, extracted it, then clicked on the included arduino script, and it opened the ide straight away. (see attached screeny)

If you wanted it to be in the menu, say you had a frugal install, and had extracted the arduino archive to /mnt/home, then right-click the arduino script & symlink it to /usr/bin, then copy the text below and save to /usr/share/applications/arduino.desktop:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Arduino IDE
Icon=/mnt/home/arduino-1.0.5/reference/img/logo.png
Comment=Arduino IDE
Exec=/usr/bin/arduino
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utility
GenericName=Arduino IDE
then run the command fixmenus in a console, then Menu>Shutdown>Restart JWM, then it will appear under the utility section of the menu.
Attachments
arduino.png
(39.88 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

thewrightman

nosuch file

#5 Post by thewrightman »

First of thanks for the patience and the friendly advice.

Just downloaded jre-1.8.0.05.sfs to mnt/home and did a sfsload. It appeared to work. Then went to console and typed "java" and got the message "no such file" for /usr/java/jre*. Change directory to /mnt/home and tried again. Same message.

Just out of interest, tried to extract arduino tqz file to /mnt/home and got "wrapper excited with error"

Once again thanks for your time and help.

Ian

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Just downloaded jre-1.8.0.05.sfs to mnt/home and did a sfsload. It appeared to work. Then went to console and typed "java" and got the message "no such file" for /usr/java/jre*. Change directory to /mnt/home and tried again. Same message.

Just out of interest, tried to extract arduino tqz file to /mnt/home and got "wrapper excited with error"
Are you on dialup? this sounds like incomplete/corrupted downloads. I would try downloading both again using wget in a terminal.

Code: Select all

wget -c http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/jre-1.8.0.05.sfs
wget -c http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/arduino-1.0.5-linux32.tgz

onecansay

Arduino 1.0.5 does not see serial port

#7 Post by onecansay »

Hello. Not new to Linux but I am to Puppy.

Have installed Slacko 5.7 succesfully.

Have installed Arduino IDE successfully.

Problem is that the Serial Port selection is faded out as if it cannot recognize any.

My USB mouse works fine as does the USB stick which I have booted from.

Does the UNO have to be plugged in for serial port to recognize?

This is not an issue when using Ubuntu 12.04 as the serial port is available for selection without UNO being plugged in.

This Puppy is new to me. I cannot find where to initialize coms.

Using Acer Aspire 3050.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
onecansay