Multi-session DVD incl SFS + all personal settings

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
T_B

Multi-session DVD incl SFS + all personal settings

#1 Post by T_B »

Hi,

Is it possible to create a DVD multi-session DVD for Puppy 431 that includes all personal settings (Dougals Pupremaster?) + some SFS files?
If so, what is the best (easiest) way to do that?

Thanks
T_B

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Creating a multisession DVD to which you can save settings and installed programs, is as simple as burning the Puppy iso of your choice to a DVD with Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, booting the newly-burned DVD and changing settings etc, then shutting down, choosing to save to the CD.

I've not added any sfs files to a multisession DVD, that I can remember. I think you have to add them to the root level of the DVD. There may be several ways to do that. It might work to add the sfs file to the iso before you burn the iso to the DVD. Or you could use growisofs to add the sfs file to the multisession DVD after you've burned the DVD with burniso2cd. I can tell you more about how to use growisofs to do that, if you want to try it.

Burniso2cd will burn an iso to a DVD+RW without having to blank the DVD first. You will have to blank a DVD-RW before Burniso2cd (or any other burning program, AFAIK) can use it again.

T_B

#3 Post by T_B »

Flash wrote:Creating a multisession DVD to which you can save settings and installed programs, is as simple as burning the Puppy iso of your choice to a DVD with Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, booting the newly-burned DVD and changing settings etc, then shutting down, choosing to save to the CD.

I've not added any sfs files to a multisession DVD, that I can remember. I think you have to add them to the root level of the DVD. There may be several ways to do that. It might work to add the sfs file to the iso before you burn the iso to the DVD. Or you could use growisofs to add the sfs file to the multisession DVD after you've burned the DVD with burniso2cd. I can tell you more about how to use growisofs to do that, if you want to try it.

Burniso2cd will burn an iso to a DVD+RW without having to blank the DVD first. You will have to blank a DVD-RW before Burniso2cd (or any other burning program, AFAIK) can use it again.
Sorry I think I didn't explained it clear enough. I know how to create a multi-session DVD, but I like to create one based on a frugal install of Lighthouse pup I am already using and include some SFS files .
I have also tried isomaster once to add the SFS files to the root, burned the DVD with Burniso2cd and the DVD failed to start at all.
Might have been a corrupt DVD or iso though, so I can try that again. I will check the forum for some more info about growisofs, never tried it before.

T_B

#4 Post by T_B »

@Flash

I just tried it again.

Created a quirky 006 multi session DVD, started it, saved one session to the dvd after setting up my network.
Restarted, downloaded the devx.sfs file for quirky to /tmp and then used command growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -D /tmp/quirky_devx_006.sfs

After adding the devx file to the DVD rebooted quirky and tried to add the sfs to the bootmanager. Unfortunately the bootmanager was not able to find it.
The sfs file is added to the root of the dvd.

Should I add the sfs file to another directory?

partsman

#5 Post by partsman »

Hello all I have downloaded 666philb's Tahr puppy and was going to make a multisession dvd.
I wanted to include the devx.sfs but i am not sure where to put it :? root or / on the dvd ?
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper »

Hi partsman,

One method:

If you create a directory named archive and then move the devx file into it and then add it to your Multi-session-live-DVD using PBurn it will not load into ram, but it will be available via the DVD.

You can then delete the archive directory.

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I haven't used a devx file so I didn't know how to advise.

Jasper's method can be done using Pburn without first having to put the .sfs file in a folder or using the Save icon on the desktop. Just open Pburn, make sure it is set for multisession burning (which it should be by default), find the .sfs file and burn it. When next the multisession Puppy DVD boots, it will ignore the devx file on the DVD during the boot process, but mounting the DVD will show the devx file on the DVD. Anything can be saved on a multisession DVD this way and it won't interfere with the booting or operation of multisession Puppy.

If you put the file in an Archive folder, you have to open each saved session on the DVD and look in the Archive folder to find it when you want it.

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi Flash,

Yes, but using your named folder method (which I named archive - because of the special properties of the archive folder already included within Puppies - see the note inside that archive folder)
you can (if desired) keep adding any files (sfs or whatever) to the DVD archive folder using Pburn.

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Ah, you meant a folder named Archive that you create each time you want to save something on your multisession Puppy DVD that you don't necessarily want loaded into RAM every time Puppy boots. I thought you meant the Archive folder that already exists in Puppy's filesystem. If you use that one, it's hidden inside the Session folder that was burned when it was saved.

partsman

#10 Post by partsman »

Hi all thank you for the replies
Yes I get what your saying Jasper
Most likely that is the method i will use in the future
Sadly i tried to make a M/S dvd with no joy
I am afraid that some of the M/S code has been lost in the transition to Woof CE
I have always had some trouble with certain puplets !
Barry's puppies always worked
Lucid 5.2.8 works !
Slacko 5.3.1 works !
Akita works !
Precise 5.7.1 works !
Basically all Barry's works !
And for the others anything after slacko 5.3.1 is a no go !
Too bad ! really a great way to use puppy !
I know Woof CE is young ! I do hope they spend some time trying to improve M/S code such as was done Fatdog
I know Ted Dog has done alot !
Maybe Some one who is interested in M/S should get on board !
Maybe someone is ! :D
I am very happy and thankful for Everyone involved in Woof CE and everyone making puppies
Just so there is no misunderstandings here !
I just belive the Code is Important !
And I don't want to see it get lost
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

tallboy

#11 Post by tallboy »

T_B, are you using the correct code?

When repetedly adding files or programs or whatever which are placed in a directory /tmp/extras/ into a root level directory - or session - named extras/ on the multisession DVD, I use the foollowing code:

Code: Select all

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R -l -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points extras=/tmp/extras
(in the code, the letter l is a small L)

In your case , do you need to use:

Code: Select all

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R quirky_devx_006.sfs=tmp/quirky_devx_006.sfs
I am crawling along in unknown territory here, so I may be totally wrong! :roll:

Besides, don't you need to mount the DVD after booting, before you can copy from it?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Dude, I hope you don't expect a reply from T_B. The post you seem to be answering is four years old. He's long gone.

tallboy

#13 Post by tallboy »

I have trouble sync'ing both braincells... :mrgreen:

tallboy

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Well, your effort isn't wasted. Your post might still prove useful to someone. I for one still am not sure of the proper place to put a .sfs file on a multisession DVD. Was that question ever answered?

tallboy

#15 Post by tallboy »

Sorry Flash, I have never tried to, so I cannot say!

I think I'll take a coser look at Lazy Puppy and it's offspring L.A.S.S.I.E.. The mechanism for loading of an .sfs. on demand online, shuld be able to adapt to loading of an .sfs. from a multisession on a live DVD. If 90% of a puppy, including a setup directory, could be hidden until needed, the resulting puppy would be very compact and fast booting, yet totally expandable.

Whooa, I switched to play-mode! :lol:

Tallboy