Portable Google Chrome for Puppy

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
slavvo67

Fluxpup

#21 Post by slavvo67 »

Confirmed working in Fluxpup after including the dependencies as suggested on page 1 of this thread.

shinobar

google-chrome-portable-0.7

#22 Post by shinobar »

google-chrome-portable-0.7.tar.gz (2014-06-27)
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/

Add required libraries so that it works with any Precise Puppy and Slacko.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

#23 Post by gcmartin »

I have a test machine that I use for testing differing version of Slakco. In that system, I have a HDD which is available as /mnt/home upon boot. I have "Portable" installed on this version of Slacko.

When testing a new version of Slacko,what are the recommended steps for the new version to use the Portable installed on /mnt/home by the prior Slacko? (assume the new version boots pfix ram)

With these "portable" subsystems, is there a script that exist somewhere which will attach all the subsystems in a "portable folder" to a new PUP?

Thanks, in advance, for advice on using a single portable location for all future Slacko testing.

shinobar

Using Portable Google Chrome on multiple Puppy

#24 Post by shinobar »

Once you build the Google Chrome on any Puppy, You can run it from any other (Precise or Slacko) Puppy just clicking the google-chrome-portable. It runs with the same settings and bookmarks.

To register on the new Puppy, right click the google-chrome-portable folder and select 'Register on the Puppy menu' if you want to. Or click the executable 'Register' in the folder.

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for that guidance. This is probably published somewhere, but I could not find it.

vicmz

#26 Post by vicmz »

Spanish locale

EDIT
xml attached as well
Attachments
AppInfo.xml.gz
rename to remove false .gz
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
google-chrome-portable.mo.gz
rename removing false .gz
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

gcmartin

Attempting portable Chrome after portable Seamonkey fails

#27 Post by gcmartin »

I have a Live media PhatSlacko running. I have successfully installed a portable Seamonkey V0.4 moments ago,and am now trying to install a portable Chrome V0.7. It does NOT pull the Chrome from the web. Instead, the following terminal window shows what happens when Chrome portable installation is attempted. Seems the prior portable SeaMonkey has left some settings which negates this portable to complete successfully.

Code: Select all

# mkdir -p /mnt/home/apps/portable
# /initrd/mnt/dev_save/apps/portable/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
google-chrome-portable:/initrd/mnt/dev_save/apps/portable/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
google-chrome-portable:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/seamonkey:/mnt/home/apps/portable/google-chrome-portable-0.7/lib
google-chrome-portable:Build
seamonkey-portable:/mnt/home/apps/portable/seamonkey-portable-0.4/seamonkey-portable https://www.google.com/chrome/
seamonkey-portable:HOME=/mnt/home/apps/portable/seamonkey-portable-0.4 /mnt/home/apps/portable/seamonkey-portable-0.4/seamonkey/seamonkey https://www.google.com/chrome/

# 
Please advise

shinobar

downoading

#28 Post by shinobar »

@gcmartin
Does the not seamonkey launch?
Have you closed seamonkey after downloading completed?

gcmartin

Re: downoading

#29 Post by gcmartin »

shinobar wrote:Does the not seamonkey launch?
Have you closed seamonkey after downloading completed?
OK, a recap to show path taken yesterday and today:
  1. Started with Seamonkey
    1. Download Seamonkey Installer from Shino webpage
    2. Read its README
    3. Created a folder path in /mnt/home
    4. Installed Seamonkey allowing the auto-installer to download and complete
    5. Seamonkey is started and running
  2. Onto Chrome
    1. Downloaded Chrome Installer from Shino webpage
    2. Read its README noting differences in steps
    3. Created a folder path in /mnt/home
    4. Launched the installer
    5. Failure noted from before where Installer would not advance
  3. Today
    1. Restarted desktop with nothing running
    2. Open terminal and launched Chrome Installer as was done yesterday
    3. Installer progressed further, Open a browser for me and waited for my selection after download browser indicated download installation success.
    4. Mnually close the browser and installer kicked back to life
    5. Dragged the Chrome DEB to installer Window
    6. Installer progress indicating successful installation and offered to start Chrome
    7. I took the offer and it failed with window shown below
    8. tried the Menu and it, too, failed with same window.
      And tried the path from a terminal window getting same failure.
    Note: see "Try to RUN Chrome from a terminal.txt.fake.gz" for its message.
I attached the messages generated when installer was run, today.
Attachments
Try to RUN Chrome from a terminal.txt.fake.gz
After installation, Open a terminal for messages.
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Chrome fails when it offers to start.png
Installer indicates Chrome installation success.
Took the offer to start Chrome from Installer message window.
Failure results.
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times
Chrome fails when it offers to start after successful installation message.txt.fake.gz
Terminal window messages, generated by the installer.
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

pcpunk

#30 Post by pcpunk »

I am new to all this and am running Fatdog64-600 64 bit and want to run Google Chrome as it is my default on other OS's. I can't even come close to doing this lol. can someone run me through it? I looked at the help/directions on that page but could not perform the installation.

gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

I thing there are plans/steps to do such on 64bit forthcoming for this and other portable browsers. I haven't tested this utility, as of yet, on FATDOG.

If you want one Chrome I've used in the past, I think there is one in the FATDOG REPO (BUT, its NOT portable). If not you can use the one from the LightHouse64 REPO.

shinobar

chrome on Phat Slacko

#32 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:[attached the messages generated when installer was run, today.
The log wrote:/mnt/+mnt+home+apps+portable+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: /usr/lib/seamonkey/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.14.3' not found (required by /mnt/+mnt+home+apps+portable+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome)
You can see proper message when you click the google-chrome-portable folder.

Running google chrome on PhatSlacko is a bit complex. Same as slacko-5.6 and older.
Do next 3:
1) Install recent seamonkey-solibs from the updated slackware repo.
you need seamonkey-solibs-2.26.1, but I couldn't find on the Puppy Package Manager.
Here is a direct link:
http://slackbuilds.org/mirror/slackware ... ck14.0.txz

2) Edit /etc/profile at line 52.

FIREFOX=$(find /usr/lib -type d -name firefox-*|tail -1) #slacko
if [ -d "$FIREFOX" ];then
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$FIREFOX:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
  export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="$FIREFOX"
fi
to
line 50-54 wrote:FIREFOX=$(find /usr/lib -type d -name firefox-*|tail -1) #slacko
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$FIREFOX"
fi
3) Reboot PC
Last edited by shinobar on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 02:28, edited 3 times in total.

pcpunk

#33 Post by pcpunk »

gcmartin wrote:I thing there are plans/steps to do such on 64bit forthcoming for this and other portable browsers. I haven't tested this utility, as of yet, on FATDOG.

If you want one Chrome I've used in the past, I think there is one in the FATDOG REPO (BUT, its NOT portable). If not you can use the one from the LightHouse64 REPO.
Thanks gmartin, I asked for some advisement on another thread as I am thinking I will go to LuPu as Fatdog seems a bit complex to me. I did have LuPu installed but was advised to go to fatdog? I liked luPu but did not really have it long enough to really know much. All I know is I did not like deciding where to same too every time I quit in fatdog. Any opinions are welcome, I am a newbie and want something easy and fun as just a backup OS.
I tried to get that browser to fatdog and was lost lol. All this is so confusing repositories and such geesh!

gcmartin

#34 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Shinobar, but without any changes at all ...My system currently shows /etc/profile as:

if [ -d /opt/mozilla.org ];then #101220 path fixes.
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
 [ -d /opt/mozilla.org/bin ] && PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/bin:${PATH}" #may not exist.
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla ] && export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla"
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox ] && export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox"
fi
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
if [ -e /usr/lib/seamonkey ];then
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/seamonkey"
 export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/seamonkey"
 MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="${MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH}:/usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins"
fi
FIREFOX=$(find /usr/lib -type d -name firefox-*|tail -1) #slacko
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$FIREFOX:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
fi
And the following shows currently installed packages without making ANY changes at the moment.

This system has Portable SeaMonkey operational without issues. Chrome still will not start, even after a reboot, while portable Seamonkey continues to work without issues.

Question
  • Which of your recommendations will address the Portable Chrome's operation?
I will follow your recommendation and report back
Attachments
SeaMonkey package is installed.png
recent "seamonkey-solibs"
(140.1 KiB) Downloaded 2891 times

shinobar

Re: chrome on Phat Slacko

#35 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Running google chrome on PhatSlacko is a bit complex. Same as slacko-5.6 and older.
Do next 2:
1) Install recent seamonkey-solibs from the updated slackware repo.
2) Edit /etc/profile at line 52
Humm.. you need seamonkey-solibs-2.26.1, but I couldn't find on the Puppy Package Manager.
Here is a direct link:
http://slackbuilds.org/mirror/slackware ... ck14.0.txz

The PC need reboot after editing /etc/profile.

gcmartin

Portable Chrome starts on PhatSlacko <Solved>

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Shiinobar. As you suggested, I:
  • Installed seamonkey-solibs-2.26.1 from PPM (even thought the PPM showed it installed, I clicked it anyway and the PPM added it to PhatSlacko)
  • Edited /etc/profile at line 52.
  • Clicked PhatSlacko's Menu>Internet>Google Chrome
Chrome Portable now starts to desktop. Seamonkey Portable also continues to start.

Thanks for your guidance.

morochos

Java

#37 Post by morochos »

Hi. The chrome was installed and launched perfectly in precise 5.7.1, however, the java plugin is not working.
How can we use the java runtime enviroment with this version of chrome portable? Thanks
Last edited by morochos on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#38 Post by darkcity »

Using Slacko 5.3.1

error log, after loading solibs 2.1-

/mnt/sda2/supportlibs2/Pets/TARS/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
/usr/lib/qt/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/lib:/opt/qt4/lib:/usr/lib/seamonkey:/mnt/sda2/supportlibs2/Pets/TARS/google-chrome-portable-0.7/lib
'/mnt/sda2/supportlibs2/Pets/TARS/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-0.7.sfs' is mounted on '/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs'.
'/mnt/sda2/supportlibs2/Pets/TARS/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-config.3fs' is mounted on  '/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs'.
HOME=/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs /mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs/google-chrome-config --disk-cache-dir=/mnt/sda2/supportlibs2/Pets/TARS/google-chrome-portable-0.7/Cache --disk-cache-size=104857600 --madia-cache-size=104857600 file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome)
/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: /usr/lib/seamonkey/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.14.3' not found (required by /mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome)
1:'/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs' unmounted.
'/mnt/+mnt+sda2+supportlibs2+Pets+TARS+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs' unmounted.
/etc/profile looks different

if [ -d /opt/mozilla.org ];then #101220 path fixes.
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
 [ -d /opt/mozilla.org/bin ] && PATH="/opt/mozilla.org/bin:${PATH}" #may not exist.
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla ] && export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/mozilla"
 [ -e /opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox ] && export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox"
fi
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
if [ -e /usr/lib/seamonkey ];then
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/seamonkey"
 export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/seamonkey"
 MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="${MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH}:/usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins"
fi

morochos

chrome + java + precise

#39 Post by morochos »

Hi. Thanks for your reply, but I'm trying to use JRE in the precise puppy

gcmartin

#40 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Morochos, I may not be the one who provides correct guidance (I'm in a bit of a time crunch these days), but want to mention this as it may help anyone assisting:
  • What distro are you using?
  • what PC are you using?
In my past, I have added JRE to a base distros BEFORE adding/updating browsers. I have ONLY installed JAVA PETs (as I find JAVA components a necessity).

There are differing views on PETs versus SFSs, but, using PETs from PPM or direct from developers has worked for me in the past on Slacko.

If you are using a 64bit PC, LightHouse64 "Mariner" version, has JAVA built-in. If using a 32bit PC, EmSee, has JAVA built-in.