$2,400 “Introduction to Linux

News, happenings
Sky Aisling

#1 Post by Sky Aisling »

This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux programmers, system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... is-summer/

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundat ... a-60852793

veronicathecow

#2 Post by veronicathecow »

Many thanks, I have signed up.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

This very same thing was done for Android over the last semester in Northern Hemisphere. It was a large successful world training effort. The lessons learned from the free Android developers class will be applied in delivering this offering as well.

The world is about to get a large influx of people to meet the challenge for tomorrow's need for smartDevice integration.

One industry is reporting an expected 14billion smart devices "talking" on the planet by 2017. That works out to almost 2 devices per person. Imagine your cars, your webcams, your phone, tablet/PC, your new router, a smart TV, thermostats, lights, furnaces, etc and you can easily see that this estimate is unreasonably conservative.

In any event, people with skills are going to be needed to understand and use this stuff.

Check your local listing for a free effort giving you understanding and skill. Better,if you are in the IT industry, be sure to take advantage of the cheap certification(s) offered with these educational opportunities.

They already know they are behind the times and are looking for ways to quickly advance the public in industry to meet needs. "The push is ON!"

neerajkolte

#4 Post by neerajkolte »

I came to know about this course on edx from
howtogeek.com 2 months ago and straight away signed up for it. I was getting impatient then a week ago I got email from them stating course will start on 1st August and a video welcoming me to the program by Linus Torvalds himself. nice touch.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Sky Aisling

#5 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi,
I received an email from the ex course admins.
They are saying that Debian, Ubuntu, Mint can be a choice of Linux Distro to install on the machine in preparation to take the course.

Any suggestions of which Puppy?

Puppy 528 is solid on my main machine as is Precise Puppy.

Also, I'm wondering whether or not to use my main machine.
Perhaps using a spare machine might save some grief down the road?

Thank you in advance for any opinions or suggestions.

:)
Attachments
Preparing for LFS101X course.png
(118.38 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

neerajkolte

#6 Post by neerajkolte »

May be we could use precise puppy?
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mcewanw

#7 Post by mcewanw »

Though standard Puppy may be usable for some aspects of the course, having taught Linux certification courses in the past, I think that you may find that significant parts of the content may involve multi-user admin commands and scripting. Debian, Ubuntu, Mint suggests that package management could involve dpkg, apt etc., though I see that Fedora, CentOS, Suse and so on will also be able to be used (RedHat package management/YaST) so different systems apparently won't be a big issue when it comes to package management needs. DebianDog, which is full Debian capable, would probably fit the course needs well though.

Perhaps the multiuser content needs will be limited, but I expect it will be there to some extent.

William
github mcewanw

Sky Aisling

#8 Post by Sky Aisling »

mcewanw writes:
Though standard Puppy may be usable for some aspects of the course, having taught Linux certification courses in the past, I think that you may find that significant parts of the content may involve multi-user admin commands and scripting. Debian, Ubuntu, Mint suggests that package management could involve dpkg, apt etc., though I see that Fedora, CentOS, Suse and so on will also be able to be used (RedHat package management/YaST) so different systems apparently won't be a big issue when it comes to package management needs. DebianDog, which is full Debian capable, would probably fit the course needs well though.
Here is DebianDog development thread:

http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 686ee13f1b

Thank you, mcewanw

mcewanw

#9 Post by mcewanw »

Please note that a new DebianDog iso is about to be released in the next day or two and if there are any major errors the iso is likely to be re-uploaded a day or so later. DebianDog is a very stable, well-tested and flexible multiuser capable system, so worth waiting on the new iso I think.

There are a few DebianDog versions to choose from (jwm and openbox isos) and various kernels and firmware drivers can be bolted on and sfs files loaded and unloaded as and when required.

Note that the main DebianDog thread link provided above by Sky Aisling includes links to the other main DebianDog threads: Howto Thread, Utilities Thread, and the actual system developers' thread is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=790190

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

nancy reagan

#10 Post by nancy reagan »

Not quite understanding the techtalk here and there but might be of interest: kind of pc running linux android simultaneously or something like that,

http://www.volkspc.org/unified-distribution/

"Volks-pc" means "People's pc"

jrb

#11 Post by jrb »

I want to thank Sky Aisling for bringing this to my attention. I've signed up to audit the course and installed LinuxMint Debian version (LMDE).

I came to Puppy from Windows 2000 and have klutzed around with it for several years now, enjoying it and this forum immensely. :D But, to be honest it has not prepared me adequately for the big world of Linux out there. When I get on another distro I feel hamstrung, its sudo this and su that and GUI's that will show me the files I want to work with and then refuse to do anything, saying "You don't have permission".

So hopefully this course will educate me in the ways of conventional Linux wisdom. (Although I've already found how to login to LMDE as root :twisted: and have installed Geany, Rox, and Gdmap and changed the default browser to PaleMoon, wasn't easy).

Looking forward to the first assignment, J

eternal-sunshine

Now on-line

#12 Post by eternal-sunshine »

This course is now on-line and I'd recommend anyone who wants to gain a good foundation in Linux to sign up. You can take as long as you want to complete it and even if you don't want to take the exam learning is always a good thing.
I don't recommend using Puppy to practise on for the course as mentioned above. Try Ubuntu, Centos or openSUSE which are used for all the examples and then you can come back to Puppy afterwards.

It's not perfect but it's free ( I certainly wouldn't pay $2400 for it myself) and for those who are new to Linux you'll learn a lot in a structured way. An alternative might be a book covering the LPIC courses ( eg Rod Smith's but it's a bit dry.)

Just my thoughts but knowing more about how Linux works has increased my enjoyment of Puppy.