Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

#3301 Post by mcewanw »

I've used gtkdialog for the ffmpeg warning splash. Will post the new precord deb tomorrow.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3302 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
And dillo changed with IceWeasel (works fine on my old computer this "latest" squeeze Iceweasel version).
Just for info:
I was curious and installed the squeeze Iceweasel on DD Wheezy.
At first glance I liked it (because of it's size and also the speed) but then I noticed the constant high CPU usage around 50%, even when minimized it's continues around 50%.
But maybe on squeeze it's different.
Tried same version of firefox from here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/
And same problem but the 4.0 version is ok (and about the same size as 3.5)

Fred

mcewanw

Precord 9.0.1 for DebianDog uploaded

#3303 Post by mcewanw »

EDIT: OK, fixed and re-uploaded...

Hi Toni and Fred,

I ended up making some major mods to Precord for DebianDog, such that most of its functionality no longer requires ffmpeg at all. However, I have included gtkdialog ffmpeg warning splash screen anyway (partly as a reminder to myself of how to do that using gtkdialog rather than yad or Xdialog). This new 9.0.1 version can now playback audio on DebianDog without ffmpeg needed (uses lame and aplay for mp3), and can even playback video files (though not record them) by using mplayer as the fallback player.

Download the deb package for DebianDog here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 446#370446

I've tested it as well as I could manage, but there are many options to test...

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3304 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!

I think pup-volume-monitor is fixed with your files.
Firefox 4.0 works much slower for me. I will keep Iceweasel.

Thank you, William!
Too late to include it in DebianDog-Squeeze but I will add latest Precord in Wheezy version.

For anyone interested from old stable version here is DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 190#741190

I will continue now with Wheezy updates for final iso.

Toni

fredx181

#3305 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
For anyone interested from old stable version here is DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 190#741190
Congratulations!
I guess the squeeze version runs smoother on your low-ram hardware?
I think pup-volume-monitor is fixed with your files.
I forgot to mention that the service "/etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor" needs to be set up (in case you didn't realize).
By:

Code: Select all

insserv start-pup-volume-monitor
The .deb provides this with the postinstall script to make it run (start/stop) every boot.
I will continue now with Wheezy updates for final iso.
Shall we upload test iso first?

Fred

saintless

#3306 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:I guess the squeeze version runs smoother on your low-ram hardware?
The boot process and CPU and RAM usage is almost the same as in Wheezy on first boot (BTW with SID also), but using latest squeeze version applications is much faster on my hardware. I can't use IceWeasel from Wheezy but I post this from Squeeze IceWeasel and the system uses less than 20 % from 650 Mhz CPU.

I forgot to mention that the service "/etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor" needs to be set up (in case you didn't realize).
By:

Code: Select all

insserv start-pup-volume-monitor
The .deb provides this with the postinstall script to make it run (start/stop) every boot.
I use the same DEBIAN folder content from your pup-volume-monitor deb but it was not enough for squeeze. To auto-show and auto-remove icons for plugged in/out devices it needs also autofs package. Wheezy has the same function in initscripts package that replaces autofs.
Shall we upload test iso first?
Tests from who :) I think we will upload both versions on the site and after testing from you, me and William we will reupload them in the next days if we find something for fixing.
I think I will be ready tomorrow night but I will wait for your upload first.

Toni

mcewanw

DoMyFile

#3307 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni and Fred,

It's probably too late for the new iso(s) but I just uploaded a new version of DoMyFile. Not to big a deal if too late to include this time round. It is pretty much the same as first version except that it includes what I can the 'hijack' addon capability as provided also in Precord and pAVrecord.

I only made the new version because I was in the process of producing a dotpet of it for Puppy distributions anyway. You can find the latest deb here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=790246

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3308 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

If I have to make another remaster I will install domyfile latest. If not before final xz compression squashfs I will replace the binary in /usr/bin and change the version in status and available files and binary md5sum in /var/lib/dpkg/info/domyfile.md5sum (it will be the same as installing the deb).

Toni

saintless

#3309 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Not very important if you already builded the iso but I add small changes in example-boot-code.txt and live.conf. Attached in archive.

Also changing the iso name to: DebianDog-Porteus-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-final.iso

Toni
Attachments
live-conf-ex-boot-code.tar.gz
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

fredx181

#3310 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Not very important if you already builded the iso but I add small changes in example-boot-code.txt and live.conf. Attached in archive.
Ok, I'll change these also.

There's one thing more I'd like to add:
A simple script to add a new user and at the same time add the user to the most important groups (same groups as for user 'puppy').
Attached addnewuser.tar.gz
I wiil make a menu entry for it in openbox version something like "Add new user".
The reason for this is that I'd like to workaround these problems when new user created with adduser command:
- sudo not working for new created user.
- volumeicon not started for new created user.
- alsamixer won't start.
- and probably more I can't think of now (add to groups video and fuse are probably useful anyway).
I think I will be ready tomorrow night but I will wait for your upload first.
Can't promise but probably tomorrow night I''ll upload new iso.
Tests from who Smile
Yes, from Toni, Fred and William at least :)

Fred
Attachments
addnewuser.tar.gz
Script to add new user and also add new user to most importsant groups
(677 Bytes) Downloaded 165 times

saintless

#3311 Post by saintless »

Ok, Fred.

I will add addnewuser also. Take your time. I can use one more day trying to solve some Rox mime types issues.
I also started adding information in Utilities and HowTo thread regarding encrypted save file/partition options fior live-boot-3x and porteus-boot and new pictures for mk-save.gtkdlg.

Toni

fredx181

#3312 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Looks like you made some mistakes here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 215#773215
Some "changes.dat" on the pictures should be "live-rw" i think.

I understand live-boot v3 initrd.img with crypt support stays as an option to download, not included in the iso?

Fred

saintless

#3313 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Looks like you made some mistakes here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 215#773215
Some "changes.dat" on the pictures should be "live-rw" i think.
No mistakes, Fred. You can create changes.dat or live-rw or persistence or debdogsave (puppy initrd boot) from live-boot-2x, live-boot-3x. You can type any name and label. Maybe it is not clear enough for new user but live-rw save file can not be encrypted. Only persistence and changes.dat for the moment can be encrypted. We can change them later with different pictures but if we need to make it clear enough we will need separate post with separate pictures for each boot method and for no-encrypted and encrypted save file.
I understand live-boot v3 initrd.img with crypt support stays as an option to download, not included in the iso?
We replace in the iso initrd.img with initrd.img-crypt (renaming to initrd.img). Also add portable DebDog-installer in the iso outside /live It is mentioned in Example-boot-codes.txt
I already changed the post for live-boot-3x adding example code for encrypted save file and mounting rw the boot partition.
The old initrd.img will be available from 00-boot-folder.squashfs.

Toni

fredx181

#3314 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:We replace in the iso initrd.img with initrd.img-crypt (renaming to initrd.img). Also add portable DebDog-installer in the iso outside /live It is mentioned in Example-boot-codes.txt
I already changed the post for live-boot-3x adding example code for encrypted save file and mounting rw the boot partition
Ok, I see now, didn't read Example-boot-codes yet.

Fred

anikin

#3315 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and everyone,

Are you discussing bringing DD out of beta stage?
Had a quick run of the latest JWM iso and am curious to know what happened to ipinfo, that Richard has tailored specifically for DD? Why has it been replaced with the one from Woof?

mcewanw

#3316 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Just a small comment that I feel you shouldn't attach the word 'final' to the iso name. Best just to remove the word beta and comment that it is the first stable release if you wish to in the download thread notes. Nothing is final :-)

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3317 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.
anikin wrote:Are you discussing bringing DD out of beta stage?
Yes, the next iso in a day or two will be the last updated Wheezy iso (unless someone find something critical for fixing). All firther fixes will be provided as separate files to replace or deb packages. And new packages will be added to the site for download and install.
Had a quick run of the latest JWM iso and am curious to know what happened to ipinfo, that Richard has tailored specifically for DD? Why has it been replaced with the one from Woof?
I'm not sure what you mean by ipinfo from Woof. DebianDog version has small edit here because some errors appeared running it from terminal. It does not connect by default to icanhazip.com and it is the one you asked from Richard as far as I know.

Toni

saintless

#3318 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Nothing is final :-)
Hi, William.
OK, I will remove the word final before uploading both versions on the site but this does not mean new iso will be updated unless something critical is found for fixing. But I doubt there will be something critical for fixing from this point.

Toni

mcewanw

#3319 Post by mcewanw »

One non-critical utility I would like to have upgraded to latest version for including in iso is ver 1.4.2 of FFConvert. Shinobar upgraded it apparently to fix the multiuser issue we had with it till I put in a temp fix, he also fixed a few other things I haven't had time to check out. Unfortunately I've been too busy fixing up some of my own code for both Slacko and DebianDog, so haven't yet got round to check what if anything needs altered in FFConvert this time round to make it work correctly in DebianDog. Hope to check that soon though. Having said that, the existing 1.4.1 FFConvert seems to work for most things I've tried so far.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3320 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

There always will be newer packages versions. I don't see this as enough reason to rebuild the iso image. We will make deb packages available for download with new applications and new package versions but iso rebuilding should stop at some point. For DebianDog-Wheezy we reached this point.
There is no much interest and no reports about problems. The next updated iso is perfect for my own use and I see nothing more to be added or fixed. I will play a bit more with Squeeze version and maybe I will make one more iso update there. Then I prefer to test more SID or Jessie upgrade instead adding more applications and updating Wheezy iso. Debian repositories are more than enough source of applications to be added from the user.

Toni