Puppy 1.0.5a1

News, happenings
Bancobusto

#21 Post by Bancobusto »

Hey, I re downloaded the iso, and the md5sum is now correct.

Am looking around frantically for a blank CD....

YAY! Here's one! :D

#22 Post by Guest »

I'm lovin' it so far!

Great work - this is my first Bare-Bones, I really like it so far....

Yay! Now I can try to compile VLC myself, instead of begging others to do it for me! (I can try, at least... :D )

Thanks Barry!

#23 Post by Guest »

yep - I finally got it it too

using Opera was a good tip as it kept toping - eventually I was able to stop the download and restart the last few minutes

- then on booting up into the New Pup I used pupget to install Opera and used that to download the second file into /mnt/home

so eh - now what?

:oops:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

With thanks to Rasa (for code help in Vector) and Barry for our new Pup Compiler . . .

For a very simple program. e.g. Hello world or the below test.c you don't even need compilation parameters

Code: Select all

/*  Test by Lobster June 1 2005 */

int main()
  { int i;
       for (i = 0; i < 50000; i++)
         {
           printf ("%d",i);
           printf (" Puppy is Great\n");     
         }
       return 0;
   }

create the above as test.c
open an rxvt in the same directory (you can use rox for this)
type cc test.c -o test

Or if you use gnu C compiler

gcc test.c -o test

will generate a test executable file
which you can run from the terminal like so

./test

Have Puppy - can compile C

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#25 Post by Guest »

cc is just a symlink to gcc....there is no difference......It's put there for the sake of Makefiles that ,rightly, don't assume gcc is the default compiler. That symlink could in fact point to tinycccccccccccccccccccccc

rarsa

#26 Post by rarsa »

I'm going home right now and I will test this puppy!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Barry

danleff

#27 Post by danleff »

Now, how does one set the alpha system up to compile the kernel?

This is what I need to compile the sata drivers directly into the kernel.

Of course, running from the cd causes the uncompressed kernel to run out of space.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

danleff wrote:Now, how does one set the alpha system up to compile the kernel?

This is what I need to compile the sata drivers directly into the kernel.

Of course, running from the cd causes the uncompressed kernel to run out of space.
You'll need a mounted partition with enough space.
I just mounted the partition that has Vector installed, as that's where I've got the kernel source.
On the other hand, if you really need the source to be at /usr/src/linux-2.4.29, ummm, then either increase the size of the pup001 file, or i suppose a symlink would work.

danleff

#29 Post by danleff »

OK, I see now.

I'm also going to try it with a hard drive installation, as well.

If this works out well, I will do a how-to (wiki?).

I have one started for a plain ide drive installation with sata support, as modules.

I'll let all know how it goes.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

rarsa

#30 Post by rarsa »

Barry,

I think it would be a good idea to create a separate pupkernel file. It would be the same as a pup001 file except that it would only contain the kernel.

This is, it would be read/write.

I'll play with it when I get some time.

rarsa

#31 Post by rarsa »

Yea!

I just finished compiling the VPN client.

Now I can fully remote to my office.

With VPN client + rdesktop I can monitor and control the Windows2000 servers from Puppy!

and I can remote to my home from the office with ssh + vncclient !

To compile the VPN client I required the kernel source. I just downloaded it from the official site, extracted it in /usr/src and that was it. I did not have to compile it, though, but there are many apps that just require the headers.

If there are people interested I could create the VPN DotPup.

Now Barry,

For this puppy, the limit is the sky.
I will have to change my reviews after version 1.0.5. as my only 'con' was the need to compile in another distro.

Many people (including me) are going to be very happy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

bladehunter wrote:cc is just a symlink to gcc....there is no difference......It's put there for the sake of Makefiles that ,rightly, don't assume gcc is the default compiler. That symlink could in fact point to tinycccccccccccccccccccccc
Thanks BladeH

this is what I was looking for all along
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... e&artid=33

:)
I think there is a lot of interest in this and I wonder what sort of small ide or interface creator we should be looking at?

I am not a great fan of C - BUT it is very important for those who do and indeed have to use it.

Freeing ourselves from Vector and Mandrake and other environments (for compiling on) is great.

Compiling the source code is not that difficult - it has always seemed mysterious to me. Writing it is not something I contemplate doing but of course for those who wish to learn C Puppy would be an ideal environment.

here is another link
http://intmainvoid.nl/?installing%20software
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 31 Jul 2005, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#33 Post by Guest »

I think there is a lot of interest in this and I wonder what sort of small ide or interface creator we should be looking at?

I am not a great fan of C - BUT it is very important for those who do and indeed have to use it.

Freeing ourselves from Vector and Mandrake and other environments (for compiling on) is great.

Compiling the source code is not that difficult - it has always seemed mysterious to me. Writing it is not something I contemplate doing but of course for those who wish to learn C Puppy would be an ideal environment.
I spent time putting something exactly like this together........beat Barry to it by ages, even included a small console IDE and no-one gave a fucking shit

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#34 Post by Lobster »

What you get all the fun of doing it and expect recognition too? - tsk tsk - not in this dimension . . .

A lot of what you do BladeH is way over my head or explained in a way that I barely understand. For example the framebuffer Atheros.iso

I downloaded and burnt a copy but it would not run, so I assumed it required
a machine that was having graphics display problems that this would solve.

The number of users at present who would value a console IDE - not sure but again they are more likely to download it and use it and be too maverick to even mention it.

Are you gonna tell us about it or have you succumbed to the dark side of the force? If so I have a wrathful (deals with the dark side) Buddhist practice involving a troup of Astral Hell Hounds that you might be too terrified to resist . . .

tee hee [with extra cackle]
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 31 Jul 2005, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

EarlSmith

#35 Post by EarlSmith »

bladehunter, do you still have the things you worked on and is it still availlable? If so could you tell us where? Sometimes the timing of things is important. I am seeing that many of the small usefull programs in Puppy are writtened in Tcl . Would your IDE help some of us to learn Tcl. Back in the late 80s, I learned to use COMAL . It had a very simple ide, but it allowed me to learn it and write programs with it. Tcl seems to be the thing to learn for Puppy. I may be sounding like a fool here because of my ignorance, but some of us do appreciate what you do! You have helped me several times and I thank you!

#36 Post by Guest »

Nope most of it's all gone.......Lost it yesterday and destroyed +$4000 of equipment

BlackAdder

#37 Post by BlackAdder »

Blade, was that you? Very troubling. Anything I can do to help?

EarlSmith, rather off topic, but if you install the Tcl starkit you can run a set of Tcl tutorials. There is a similar set on the web. There was a thread about starkit in Additional Software.

Nathan F

#38 Post by Nathan F »

Bladehunter-

I, and many others, were quite taken with the ideas behind what you put together. I'm sorry that I never got around to trying it. I give you credit for finding a good way to put a package like this together, and I don't really believe that Barry would have done this at all if you hadn't given him the idea in the first place. If he had it would probably have been in some completely different form. In that sense, yes, people gave a shit, or at least you impressed the person who was in the position to incorporate it into Puppy and make the rest of us really take notice.

I fully intend top rip off some more of these ideas for a few of my own projects later on, as soon as I get a little smarter. Things are like that in open source. You start a great idea, and someone else runs with it and gets the credit. But at least you've helped to roll the ball along a little further and make Puppy better for everyone. I'm really excited by the prospects of what applications are going to crop up now that people have an easily accessible way to compile. Please be happy for us all, yourself included.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#39 Post by Lobster »

EarlSmith wrote: Back in the late 80s, I learned to use COMAL. It had a very simple ide, but it allowed me to learn it and write programs with it. Tcl seems to be the thing to learn for Puppy.
G2 has kindly compiled and uploaded a COMAL dotpup
I studied the documentation and web sites
This is indeed an elegant language, combining the structure of pascal with the simplicity of BASIC
I do agree that Tcl is the best beginner language for Puppy ;)
I even came across some snippet of code (my only ever tcl code) that was modified and included in PizzaPup

The best way to learn is to get stuck in and working on the Puppy project has major benefits. However we all I guess, are responsible for our programming . . .

GIGO I think is the term . . .

I work on the principle of Good Input Good Output - though some prefer garbage . . .
Some people have developed a Neuroliguistic Programming Language (NLP) to program people like machines. One of their ideas is:

"The communication is in the result it creates"
Therefore if you wish to be helpful and end up being helpless, who have you helped?

Really!

:oops: if you don't understand what I am saying - I guess it must be me. OK I am off to destroy $8000 worth of equipment so everyone will be REALLY concerned . . . :roll:

pass me the sledgehammer nurse . . . I can feel one of my turns coming on . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#40 Post by BarryK »

I have responded to a private message that Bladehunter sent.

His effort is not at all wasted, rather complimentary.
I emphasised that usr_devx.sfs is "thrown together", to prove the principle of mounting a squashfs development file directly on /usr, and compiling against all the existing library files on Puppy -- which necesitated are rather odd usr_devx.sfs composed of files (mainly headers) taken from both Vector and Mandrake.

Bladehunter was working on something more formal and "self-contained", plus he incorporated an ide. I think he used LFS and compiled the packages to create his development file.
I did look at Bladehunter's file, but decided that it wasn't right for my immediate need.

However, none of Bladehunter's work is nullified. A new more formal usr_devx.sfs is the way to go, created from scratch with packages compiled to work together, with a ide.
I had a particular requirement, so knocked something togther in one afternoon, so could get something running quickly.

I'm working on "Puppy Sourcerer", which means that all of Puppy can be compiled from source. So, anyone comes up with a better usr_devx.sfs, we can compile all of Puppy using it.
Having usr_devx.sfs means that I now have a tool to forge ahead quickly developing Sourcerer, and in the meantime someone else can look at overhauling usr_devx.sfs -- that's why I posted instructions on the News page how to modify the contents of usr_devs.sfs -- in my private message to Bladehunter I invited him to be involved in that.

I really don't want to tread on anyone's toes.