Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 01:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Can swap file manager run swap in a live multi-sessn dvd?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
partsman

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 20:52    Post subject:  

Hmmmm Confused
Could be Flash Shocked
Just curious rbrehton what kind of box you running ?
Be specific Very Happy
Maybe someone else with the same hardware could confirm Wink
Maybe even more important is what puppy are using ?

rbrehton

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 21:44    Post subject:  

It's an HP ze5185 Pavilion laptop and I'm using pup-431-k2.6.25.16-intel_modems.iso

It seems to work well in this machine, except for saving sessions on disk but I can save them in the usb drive. I've been using a dvd-rw and I read now that a dvd-r is recommended, but that wouldn't be causing the problem would it?

I was able to successfully burn a multi-session dvd using K3b. I think it worked before by default to burn in multi-session mode, but this time I was sure because I found the right menu. I used a new dvd-rw but it still didn't allow save to disk at shutdown. I'll save to usb.

Any way to install updates like a PET package and an updated browser, maybe with a different computer to write to the disk? Or can it work somehow with files on the usb drive to load during boot?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 21:52    Post subject:  

No need to make coasters. In my experience, if a rewritable DVD won't work, neither will a write-once DVD.

With a Save file on your flash drive, any changes you make to Puppy will be there when you reboot.
partsman

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 22:05    Post subject:  

OK rbrehton Wink
Try using pup-431-k2.6.25.16.iso here :
http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/pup-431.iso
If you have video issues after making a M/S dvd we see prob easy fix Wink
Also make sure that when you put your dvd in the tray give it time to spin down before trying to save Wink

partsman

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 22:21    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
No need to make coasters. In my experience, if a rewritable DVD won't work, neither will a write-once DVD.

No offense ! Flash you have been around longer than me but I have nothing but problems with RW-DVD's Confused

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 22:33    Post subject:  

Sure your CD/DVD drive can write to DVD?

The specs I read about this computer say it only writes to CD but can read CD or DVD's

You can try with a multi session CD install of Puppy.

rbrehton

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:03    Post subject:  

I think you're right, this laptop reads but won't write a dvd. I tried using Pburn, says media not recognized as recordable, a multi-session dvd-rw.

Yes, I'm using pup-431-k2.6.25.16

So I can add a PET package or update the browser and it will save this in the usb file for the next boot? That will be great.

Last edited by rbrehton on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:27; edited 1 time in total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:08    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Sure your CD/DVD drive can write to DVD?

The specs I read about this computer say it only writes to CD but can read CD or DVD's

Aaah! That's called a combo drive. Good catch, bigpup. Laughing
In that case, a multisession Puppy CD (not DVD) might work.
rbrehton

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:10    Post subject:  

I guess I can spare 40 cents to try it. How many sessions is a CD good for in normal use?
rbrehton

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 18:50    Post subject:  

Update -- I added details in case developers want to know. I burned a new multi-session cd-r and booted it. At first shutdown, it did the same as the dvd at first shutdown (I selected Power off Computer) -- it dropped out of X without asking for a save and began from there without shutting down completely. It stayed in xvesa and I got the wizard to configure the screen again. It remembered the connection and my gmail password and the usb drive wasn't in the machine. When I shut down the second time, I saved to cd and then it shut down completely. On start up I got only the HP logo and then a flashing underscore. I waited several minutes, hit enter, esc, f keys and then control/alt/delete. Then I booted my previous puppy disk and saved the session to usb.

I like the way it works saving to usb. So the only benefit of a multi-session disk over saving sessions to usb is faster boot and shutdown?

I've been able to play a couple of youtube videos but I have trouble opening certain webpages and gmail only works in basic html. I tried installing service_pack-430-to-431.pet but I get an "error. . . failed to install". Will this help me and how can I install this if possible? Thanks in case I haven't thanked anyone.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 22:34    Post subject:  

Actually a multisession Puppy will probably boot slower than a Puppy CD (or DVD) with a Save file on USB. At any rate, I don't think it will boot any faster. It depends on how many saved sessions have to load when Puppy boots. The main advantage of multisession Puppy is that each save creates a unique session folder on the DVD. These sessions are all loaded and recombined when Puppy boots. A session is where any changes you made to Puppy are saved. If, later on, you find a problem, or suspect you picked up some malware, etc., you can troubleshoot by telling Puppy to skip certain saved sessions when it boots. Multisession Puppy is unique in that every change is saved for possible forensic analysis, kind of like a wiki. Forum member Ted Dog has made multisession work on a USB flash drive, but I haven't tried it myself.
tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2014, 00:44    Post subject:  

For those who want to explore different multisession possibilities, using cheap DVD-Rs, here are some links, with more links inside:

Save directories to DVD+RW as sessions, using growisofs

Updating software

tallboy

Last edited by tallboy on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 00:56; edited 1 time in total
rbrehton

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

I like the idea of a bootable flash but I like the bootable puppy cd because it can't be corrupted if the session is closed. I was getting some keyboard bugs until I burned another puppy cd and closed the session.
Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: