How to recover XP system with Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Moat

#41 Post by Moat »

Fundalogy wrote: The problem with the recover Cds is that they are CDs. This system has no CD ROM.
It might be possible to boot the recover CD's with an outboard, USB (or firewire?) CD-ROM drive... or even remove the hard drive and install it temporarily in another computer that has a CD-ROM drive - and then use the Windows mbr/recovery tools from there... :?:

Bob

Latitude

#42 Post by Latitude »

Hi Fundalogy,
I am sending you a Private Message.

Regards,

Latitude

Fundalogy

#43 Post by Fundalogy »

I have now dowloaded FUBCD and all I got was a bunch of crap software like Reguclean, malware programs, Advanced system protector, PC cleaners, Maxi Get Download Mgr, etc etc etc....all downloaded on my system and FUBCD still nonexistent.

In short, it downloaded and opened up a whole bunch of crap and clutter on my system and not the target program.

I did say earlier that I had downloaded a heap of ultimate boot CDs that never worked. So, here we are again.

This is so frustrating.

starhawk

#44 Post by starhawk »

Do you have (or can you get) an external USB CD drive? If you can boot USB, you can boot USB-CD ;)

Then you're home free with the install/recovery/etc Windows disc...

Fundalogy

#45 Post by Fundalogy »

Oh dear me..... This Falcon and Hiren's Boot CD downloads have truly stuffed up my personal laptop.

I have tried to uninstall all the crap programs and did a PC & regclean, but ALAS....my system notifications tray still show these programs as having left remnants behind. These stubborn spam programs are the biggest pests. Now, this is destroying my good Win 7 system. These are the types of programs that have stuffed up my registry keys and the reason why I cannot create a restore point on my laptop running Win 7 anymore.

Yes, I have been heavy at searching for a solution for that too but, there seems to none, unless I change the registry key values to correct the Volume Shadow Service (VSS) on my machine. But, I am not going to play around with registry keys and really stuff it further.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any install CDs (even for my own PC) because when I bought my machine, a friend said to take it to him and leave it with him for a while. He own his IT company and is really busy (and I was rushing off overseas for months within 5days). His got his staff to install and configure everything on the system. He loaded everything under his company license, too. So, I am truly stuck there. Either I have to fix it myself or get online help. I hate bothering him for it because he runs a company and I feel very uncomfortable going to him every time where his staff spend time working on my machine.

I have been thinking where I can get an external CD ROM. I would usually have access to so much IT stuff when I am working in a large corporation because I can usually get my staff to do it for me. But recently, I have been between jobs and am at home, without access to any of my IT staff. So frustrating to have a career in IT and not be able to fix this. BTW, I have never been a techie. I just manage technical & business projects with highly technical people in it.

Is there anyone who knows how to put a Mini XP in an autoplay file for me to copy to my USB to get XP working....maybe??? Right now, the XP POS system is saying "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" because I copied the Falcon's exe file into the USB and just in the XP to see what would happen..... :twisted:

cthisbear

#46 Post by cthisbear »

Fundalogy"

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me and give me your phone number.

Didn't notice you are in Sydney.

The Falcon 4.5 has no issues booting off usb.

v4.6 I couldn't get to work but my mate has working with unetbootin???

Anyway PM me.
And have some freakin' sleep.

Chris.

Fundalogy

#47 Post by Fundalogy »

You've been PMd Chris. But this stupid PM system doesn't send my messages for hours.

Unfortunately I'm OCD with lots of other issues and can't let go of this so easily.
Thanks heaps to you and everyone who've tried to help. I feel like the dumb blonde among the techie boys....again!

cthisbear

#48 Post by cthisbear »

J2 580 POS

Directory listing for support.j2rs.com/Legacyproducts/580/

http://support.j2rs.com/?directory=.%2F ... s%2F580%2F

Size
Directory BIOS 1 elements
Directory CashDrawer 5 elements
Directory CustomerDisplay 2 elements
Directory Drivers 265 elements
Directory MSR 2 elements
Directory OPOS 3 elements
Directory WIFI 5 elements
Directory CE 6.0 J2 650 580.pdf 246 KB
Directory J2 580 System Manual.pdf 2 MB
Directory J2_580_Datasheet.pdf 2 MB

Chris.

starhawk

#49 Post by starhawk »

Thank you, whoever reported that post from "exstaff" -- that really was a bit much...

Flash, I assume you were the remover? Thank you, too...

Fundalogy

#50 Post by Fundalogy »

So far, I have created a DOS boot USB via HPUSBDisk and rebooted the XP.

After the "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." it gave me the following:

C:\>

However, it will not recognise DOS commands because it is seeing the USB drive as C:\
eg.

C:\> dskchk /r
Bad command or file name

Btw, what was the post from "exstaff"? Was it offensive?

starhawk

#51 Post by starhawk »

exstaff was very rude. Ignore that he even existed, please -- you're better off that way ;)

In DOS -- 'cd' is change directory (folder) -- EXCEPT for drives. Drives you type the letter and the colon but not the backslash. (BTW -- Linux is caps sensitive, but DOS is not...)

So if you have a floppy drive A:\ and you're in C:\, you type:

C:\> a: [ENTER]

...and if there's a readable disk in the drive, you get...

A:\>

Probably your HDD is drive D:\ so try 'd: [ENTER]'.

Also, the command and program for the disk-checking utility, would be CHKDSK ("check disk", of course) -- briefly (for Win9x only) there was a "ScanDisk", but with XP, MS went back and made an NTFS-compatible CHKDSK utility rather than extend ScanDisk... probably just as well. IIRC ScanDisk was not the best of disk-checking utilities ;) (not that CHKDSK is really all that great either...)

However -- while CHKDSK will scan and fix errors on the HDD, it's probably not anywhere near sophisticated enough to do what you want. At this point you need an install CD.

Since your friend set this system up in the first place, maybe you should give him a call? At the least, he can lend you a CD and an external drive, I'm sure... ;)

Honestly -- I'd send you my drive and a Win 9-in-1 CD (I have the ISO, and the key is what makes Windows legit, anyways) -- but I'm in the US, and postage out of the country is insanely expensive. (It's truly maddening how someone in Hong Kong can send me a package for what amounts to US domestic letter rates -- when sending that selfsame package back would be upwards of us$20!)

Well... if you want to pay for it, I'll send it. I'll put it that way. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you a quote.

Fundalogy

#52 Post by Fundalogy »

I have tried all drives already, right up to H: but it sees nothing.

Chris advised that maybe the USB didn't contain all the DOS files. So, I tried to recreate the DOS boot USB but, now it won't even copy one file into the USB. I am trying to recreate it and try again but, if that fails then I just have to give up because all these downloads onto my laptop have now damaged my laptop system files, too.

I see a lot of people have confused between the 2 machines I have. For the record, I have 2 machines:

1 - Windows 7 laptop - my personal computer which I use to communicate and create all these downloads etc. It boots up but, these downloads have begun to stuff up my systems files and registry keys. My friends installed the OS and the programs on this computer with his company license.

2 - Windows XP POS Terminal - This is the system that will not boot in Windows at all. It only has USB and LAN connection available. I acquired this terminal from the store I had invested in where my business partner embezzled me in the hundreds of thousands and fled the country. When the business went under I ended up with this terminal because it has the Aloha POS system and the shop's accounts in it. So, I have no knowledge of this limited system and have no install programs etc for it either. This is why it is important that I recover everything on it.

So, here we are.

cthisbear

#53 Post by cthisbear »

" Chris advised "

you to visit him for a free fix.

Chris.

Fundalogy

#54 Post by Fundalogy »

That's right! Thank you Chris.