Fatdog64 700 alpha1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#1 Post by fatdog »

Kirk and jamesbond are pleased to announce the release of Fatdog64 700 alpha1. This marks the first public release of Fatdog64 700 series.

Thank you to all contributors: rcrsn51, 01micko, and many others.
Thank to preview-testers too.

Summary
Fatdog64 700 alpha1 is a new major release of Fatdog64. All of its five-hundred-odd base packages have been updated to the latest and greatest. Some highlights:
- kernel 3.15.5
- glibc 2.19
- gcc 4.8.2
- Xorg 1.15.2
- Mesa 10.2.4
- GTK2 2.24.24 with Glib 2.38.2
- vlc 2.15
- seamonkey 2.26
- ffmpeg 2.1.3
- abiword 3.0
- gimp 2.8.10
- ffDiaporama replaces avidemux
- cups 1.7.3
And many others.

Another thing that will be immediately obvious: Fatdog64 dispenses with PET packages and have now switched to Slackware-style packages. Fatdog64 now uses gslapt from http://www.jaos.org as its primary package manager. Note: While it is possible to install pet packages from older version of Fatdog64, *they may not work properly* in 700 series. SFS from 600 series may or may not work - some of them do work.

Get it from the usual location in ibiblio or one of its mirrors: aarnet, uoc.gr, and nluug.nl.

SFS-es are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/ and on ibiblio's mirrors too.

Fatdog64 700 does not update from Fatdog64 631 or any other earlier versions..

Longer reads

Unlike the 500 and 600 series which were built from T2, Fatdog64 700 is built from modified versions of LFS (Linux From Scratch) and BLFS, version 7.5 - the latest as of today. We compiled every single package from source by hand - we own and know the process of how every package comes to be, from the cross-compiler onwards. (The build system is indeed similar, and was actually adapted from FatdogArm build system).

Major infrastructure changes:
---
Like its predecessors, Fatdog64 700 is a pure 64-bit system, but all libraries now live in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. There are no more bind-mounts - /lib and /usr/lib are now almost empty. All scripts that depend on the fact that /lib and /lib64 contain the same files will fail.

Xorg now lives directly under /usr, there is no more /usr/X11 or /usr/X11R6 or /usr/X11R7. All scripts that depend on these locations will fail.

Random Notes
---
1. Despite the fact that it uses Slackware-style package (and uses Slackware package management tools), Fatdog64 700 is not based on Slackware. I haven't tested how compatible 700 is with Slackware packages.

2. It is now possible to *remove* built-in packages - a feature that has been long asked for.

3. We have been running 700 ourselves for a couple of months to iron out the most obvious bugs - but being the first release, this of alpha quality and may still contain a lot of bugs.

4. Documentation have not been updated yet. While most of them still applies, some (with regards to making your own packages) have not. I will update this posts with details on how to making your own packages - there are 3 ways of doing so.

The final version of Fatdog64 600 series (version before this one): Fatdog64 631.
Last edited by fatdog on Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:31, edited 7 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

FAQ
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

EDIT: There is an updated information for this here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... ckage.html.

Making packages for Fatdog64 700

This guide is targeted for seasoned package developers in Puppy/Fatdog64 600. It assumes that you already know how to make packages in earlier version of Fatdog or in Puppy Linux.

To make packages in Puppy/Fatdog64 600, you do two things:
a) collect the files of an installed package to a directory (e.g "package-1.1" directory) - usually using "new2dir make install"
b) turn that directory into a pet, using "dir2pet".

To make package for Fatdog64 700, you do the same thing, except that the tools are different.
a) to collect the files - you have 3 different tools:
- new2dir (yes, still works, provided for backward compatibility)
- paco
- Fatdog's native package builder system (pkgbuild) - build-pkg.sh
b) to turn that directory to a "package", you use:
- "slackdesc" to generate package information
- "makepkg" to really make the package

I will go with b) part first, since there is no variation in it - whatever method you use for a), you have to do b) in exactly the same way. Let's assume you already have "/tmp/package-1.1" filled in with files you'd like to make into a package (you can use "new2dir" to get this if you aren't familiar with anything else). What will you do next?

1. "cd /tmp/package-1.1". Yes, you must be *inside* the directory you want to package (this is in contrast to "dir2pet", where you must be outside, that is, you must "cd" to "/tmp" not "/tmp/package-1.1").

2. "mkdir install" - create an "install" directory inside the package-1.1

3. If you have a "pinstall.sh" script, you can put it inside "install" directory and name it as "doinst.sh" ("install/doinst.sh"). Doinst will be called and used exactly like pinstall.sh is used.

4. If you have a "puninstall.sh" script - scrap it. Yes, really. Slackware-style package does not support post-removal script. Make sure you design your package so it can be removed without harming the system even without a post-installation script. If this is a problem, tell the user a message during installation to do certain things when you uninstall.

5. Generate package information using slackdesc. The format is this:

Code: Select all

slackdesc package-name version "(summary)" "description" "url"
- "package-name" is the name of the package, choose carefully as it must be the same as the name of the tarball filename.
- "version" is the version of the package; it must also be the same as the name of the tarball filename (more on this later).
- "summary" is optional, if you don't use it, just put "()".
- "description" is optional, if you don't use it, leave it blank.
- "url" is optional, if you don't use it, leave it blank.
When you run this command, you will see the output of the package information. After you're satisified with that you see, save it to a file called "slack-desc" under install directory.
Thus, you usually do this:

slackdesc pkgname version "(summary)" "description" "url" > install/slack-desc
6. Finally, make the tarball by running

makepkg -c n -l n /path/to/where/you/want/to/keep/the/package/package-version-arch-build.txz
Notes about the package filename. Slackware package filename consist of 4 components:
- package name (can be anything)
- version (must start with a number)
- arch (x86_64 for 64-bit, can be i486/i586/i686/arm/armhf or other platform, or "noarch" if it is applicable to all platforms (e.g. icons, or shell scripts)).
- build number (can be anything but it's better to start with a number).
Each component is separated by a "dash". Example of valid names:
- mypackage-1.0-x86_64-1.txz
- my-other-package-1.1-x86_64-2special.txz
- icon_collections-2-noarch-2.txz

That's it.

Note that step 2,3,4,5 are entirely optional; if you don't need install script or can't be bothered to write package description, you can skip it.

More later.
Last edited by fatdog on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

fatdog

#4 Post by fatdog »

Other notes

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Reserved for future posts. :wink:

Gobbi

#6 Post by Gobbi »

Just downloaded it from nluug.nl : they provide a good link :!:
I'm curious to test the new approach and the updates . :D
Attachments
FD700a1 download speed.jpg
(140.07 KiB) Downloaded 6599 times

Tote

#7 Post by Tote »

Just downloaded this; manual frugal instal on T61 Thinkpad; very fast boot time, wireless and sound okay.

I'm not very technically minded, unable to start vlc from menu, can start it with terminal; it runs, but get this;

[0xd81c88] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

[0x3b5d58] qt4 interface error; unable to load extensions module.

No problems otherwise.

Many thanks.

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

Downloaded and posting from fatdog-700

It is very quick boot. After summoning hardinfo from terminal blowfish came in at 8.18 ! Top notch!
Nice comfy interface/theme, look and feel!

One thing I noticed on my hardware, wpa_gui didn't show scan results, but cli net_setup.sh worked first time. After connecting and restarted X wpa_gui updated itself.

:)

Edit: Just experienced a system lockup while watching youtube videos in seamonkey! Eventually exited seamonkey and continued normally. 8gb ram laptop.

mories

libelf.so.1 is missing

#9 Post by mories »

@fatdog
Thanks for the new and updated version of FatDog.

libelf.so.1 is needed by r600_dri.so (radeon) and is missing

For now everything else is perfect

Gobbi

#10 Post by Gobbi »

Posting from FD700a1 .
Fast boot , smoother interface than previous one,
Gslapt is really nice and it has a lot of details of the packages :D
Also , nice touch with the new icons set . I didn't find though Icon switcher in Control Panel/Desktop/...
VLC did not start from the Menu , but it opened all the media I tried and works fine.
Control Panel/Desktop/pupX-Set mouse,keyboard and screen saver does not work for me .

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

I'm not very technically minded, unable to start vlc from menu
Thanks, fixed.
One thing I noticed on my hardware, wpa_gui didn't show scan results, but cli net_setup.sh worked first time. After connecting and restarted X wpa_gui updated itself.
After clicking Scan the Scan results window opens, click the Scan button on that window. Yes, it does seem you only have to do that the first time or if you want it to update immediately.
libelf.so.1 is needed by r600_dri.so (radeon) and is missing
Seems to be there:

# ldd r600_dri.so 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff69fff000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib64/libz.so.1 (0x00007fc9ea1ce000)
	libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libffi.so.6 (0x00007fc9e9fc6000)
	libncursesw.so.5 => /lib64/libncursesw.so.5 (0x00007fc9e9d7b000)
	libelf.so.1 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libelf.so.1 (0x00007fc9e9b69000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libexpat.so.1 (0x00007fc9e9948000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fc9e972c000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fc9e9528000)
	libLLVM-3.4.so => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libLLVM-3.4.so (0x00007fc9e80af000)
	libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007fc9e7ea5000)
	libdrm_radeon.so.1 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libdrm_radeon.so.1 (0x00007fc9e7c9a000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007fc9e79bb000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007fc9e76ca000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007fc9e7354000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fc9e7142000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fc9eacf1000)
# 
But I'm not running Radeon, maybe someone else can confirm this.
Control Panel/Desktop/pupX-Set mouse,keyboard and screen saver does not work for me.
Thanks, fixed.

irishrm

#12 Post by irishrm »

Just completed a USB install.

For once encountered no problems.

I always struggle a bit configuring the internet connection on all fatdogs but am up and running with both SeaMonkey and Firefox working well.

Thanks guys for keeping the project going.

Irishrm.

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#13 Post by Billtoo »

I used the Fatdog installer to install to a 32gb SDHC card.

I can't find the firewall wizard, maybe can't see it for looking?

Installed the proprietary Nvidia driver and compiled a couple of
applications.
That's it so far.

Thanks
Attachments
taskmanager.jpg
(75.87 KiB) Downloaded 6167 times
screenshot.jpg
(41.32 KiB) Downloaded 6096 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Bindee

#14 Post by Bindee »

Billtoo did you use the pipeline fix ?

stemsee

#15 Post by stemsee »

kirk wrote: After clicking Scan the Scan results window opens, click the Scan button on that window. Yes, it does seem you only have to do that the first time or if you want it to update immediately.
I did press the scan button and got the pop up scan results window, but empty. I saved to folder on exit and after reboot I had to reconnect using net-setup.sh again as wpa_gui still didn't work for me! I will take a look under the bonnet sometime. Not a big problem really.

Converted a video using ffDiapanorama ,,, 90 degree rotation, rendered and opened in seamonkey using vlc plugin, perfectly!

:D

Edit: Seamonkey does not have permissions to read from inbuilt sdcard reader /sdc1. Also seamonkey wouldn't upload photos to ebay. Okay used slapt-get -i firefox, all problems resolved! I never liked seamonkey anyway! First uninstall coming up ;-)

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

mories wrote:libelf.so.1 is needed by r600_dri.so (radeon) and is missing
Thanks, fixed. For now, please install elfutils to get libelf.
Tote wrote:[0xd81c88] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x3b5d58] qt4 interface error; unable to load extensions module.
No worries, that warning is harmless.
stemsee wrote:Edit: Just experienced a system lockup while watching youtube videos in seamonkey!
Are you using nvidia?
Gobbi wrote: I didn't find though Icon switcher in Control Panel/Desktop/...
No icon switcher for the time being. It's one of the infrastructure that gets changed, the new switcher that uses the new infrastructure hasn't been written yet. I can tell you how to change themes manually if you feel like it.

@irishrm - glad that it works! :)
billtoo wrote:I can't find the firewall wizard, maybe can't see it for looking?
Firewall is in the Control Panel -> Service Manager, look for "eztables" service.
You can edit its configuration in /etc/eztables/eztables.cfg.
Note that I *have not tested* this myself, so I'm not sure how well it would work.
More docs on http://eztables.net/

Alternatively you may want to install aovfirewall. Copy /etc/aovfirewall.conf.sample to /etc/aovfirewall.conf and change as needed.
Start it from the service manager.

It's a bit more complicated that old firewall script used but it is more flexible and powerful.
stemsee wrote:Edit: Seamonkey does not have permissions to read from inbuilt sdcard reader /sdc1
Must be the "spot" thing. Anyway, I'm happy that firefox works for you.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#17 Post by stemsee »

Using intel gpu core i3 I feel that firefox resolves the lockup issue.

I uninstalled seamonkey and ran fixmenus rebooted and the entry is still in menu>internet for seamonkey.

Having started firefox and set to default, tray icon does not open new default browser. How to set defaults? Is there a defaults-chooser installed?

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

stemsee wrote:I uninstalled seamonkey and ran fixmenus rebooted and the entry is still in menu>internet for seamonkey.
Hmm, this isn't going to be easy to fix. For now you can delete /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop.
Having started firefox and set to default, tray icon does not open new default browser. How to set defaults? Is there a defaults-chooser installed?
No GUI for defaults chooser yet, but you can edit /etc/defaultprograms and change the default programs used.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#19 Post by Billtoo »

Bindee wrote:Billtoo did you use the pipeline fix ?
No, I just compiled the driver, it's working okay for playing videos etc.

Bindee

#20 Post by Bindee »

Billtoo wrote:
Bindee wrote:Billtoo did you use the pipeline fix ?
No, I just compiled the driver, it's working okay for playing videos etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

No firefox scroll ripple or tearing in the above video and it has straight lines ?