Stripping unused packages out of Pupp 2.12

Using applications, configuring, problems
jac1d

Stripping unused packages out of Pupp 2.12

#1 Post by jac1d »

Hello all,

I'm a fairly new user of Puppy although I've been using *nix for about a decade.

I recently had a hard drive crash and I've been using a customer Puppy 2.12 Beta 2 Live CD as my primary desktop all week, with surprisingly good results.

What has happened though is now that I have FF1.5, xine codecs, Flash 9, skype and MSN installed - the system has bloated and my magical <1 minute boot time has evaporated.

There are a lot of programs/packages installed by default that I don't want/need and I'd love to shave very extra meg out of my install, but leave in the fat stuff like Firefox.

Is there an ISO out there, or a hidden menu or some other method of selectively removing the pre-installed packages? Something I can start with and strip right down and add just what I need to keep that lightning speed?

Thanks!

-Jeff

PS - My only other issues is that my Audigy 2 ZS card is not functioning, which I've read various threads about but found no solution for. It works fine under most other live (non-puppy) CDs. Any tips appreciated.

WhoDo

Re: Stripping unused packages out of Pupp 2.12

#2 Post by WhoDo »

jac1d wrote: Is there an ISO out there, or a hidden menu or some other method of selectively removing the pre-installed packages? Something I can start with and strip right down and add just what I need to keep that lightning speed?
You need to search the forum for pupbegone.pup. I don't believe it is in the PSI repos. It will allow you to uninstall pre-installed programs and you can either delete them or archive them for later reinstall - your choice.

It uses a "hacked" version of wget to first reinstall and then remove the offending programs, so it has program location details to work from when removing. It works well, and I've managed to save several hundred MB's by deleting things like Seamonkey after installing Firefox/Thunderbird.

Hope that helps

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I think Pizzasgood wrote pupbegone.

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Flash wrote:I think Pizzasgood wrote pupbegone.
Yep. I couldn't remember who wrote it when I replied, or I would certainly have given proper credit.

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yes, PupBeGone is very handy. However, keep in mind that it won't help with a live-cd, as the contents are within the pup_xxx.sfs file and are read-only. That does not mean there is no solution. Using PupBeGone with a live-cd (or frugal install) will make Puppy think you removed the packages, so if you remaster it, the new one will not include them. It will also incorporate any new apps into the pup_xxx.sfs file, making them start much more rapidly. This was more or less it's main goal anyway, for helping with a remaster.

Also, it doesn't so much reinstall the packages as analyze them. The main catch is that it needs to download them (unless you already have them downloaded). I plan to fix that while working on Pizzapup A.T.E., but I don't know when I'll get to that specific part. Time hasn't been very abundant the last couple months. :(
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]