Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 09:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
How did you get interested in Linux/ Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 07:44    Post_subject:  

I was running Win2000Pro on an old [2003] desktop PC I'd been given by ErnieK of the PCGuide forums.
Caught and eliminated a trojan. Shocked

Decided to look for an OS that would be secure to use for online banking.
Tried various Linux distros.
Had difficulty getting them to do anything. [The command line sudo business was confusing]

Then ErnieK suggested trying Puppy Linux.
Liked it immediately.
Particularly the way it explained everything, and gave advice on how to complete the various steps in doing stuff.
Easy to do stuff, and it "just worked". Very Happy

From then on, it has been an adventure...
So easy to use, SIMPLE and FAST.
RSH

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 11:11    Post_subject:  

Galbi wrote:
RSH wrote:
If anyone who is owning illegal Software or anyone who knows someone that is owning illegal Software, would go to the Police and to name those Persons, our Justice-Systems will collapse. It/they could NOT handle it, because of its massive impact to the Justice-System.

And, at the police station, they will write the complaint in... a pirated version of Word, over...a pirated version of Windows...
Mr. Green

I bet something similar in the Justice System.

Exactly!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

In my life as a Musician I personally have met German Policemen that are using illegal Music Software and smoking Pot!!! Laughing

James C

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 11:23    Post_subject:  

I got seriously interested in Linux when Windows Genuine Advantage suddenly decided that my 100% legal retail copy of XP (purchased and installed by me) wasn't genuine.Microsoft would gladly sell me another copy...... no thanks.

Wiped the hard drive and did a full install of Puppy. Smile
RSH

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 14:28    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
when Windows Genuine Advantage suddenly decided that my 100% legal retail copy of XP (purchased and installed by me) wasn't genuine.

I remember something similar happening to a lot of Windows users in Germany that have had bought a new Computer with Windows pre-installed plus a so-called OEM-CD (DVD) but can't remember how exactly this was solved. Though I've never heard of anyone needed to buy a new copy/license.

nitehawk

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 17:58    Post_subject:  

Let's see if I can remember it all...

Dos>win3.1>w95>w98se>w2kpro>Mandrake>Mepis>distrohopping>Slackware>Puppy 3.01>Puppy 4.0>Puppy 4.21>Puppy 4.31>(more and more Puppies)> now WXP & Puppies & Macpup & Vector

...when I first tried Puppy 3.01, I was sold! I still love that particular Puppy.
vicmz

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 19:38    Post_subject:  

Puppy --> Puppy

As I didn't have a computer on my own, I used everyone else's Windows computer. At first I was interested in Ubuntu Karmic, then I discovered Puppy by version 5.0, the only distro I was able to fully test because of its ability to run entirely from RAM, without touching the hard disk.

A couple of years later I got my first computer, and I already knew that Puppy Linux was the way to go in my case. In a country where prices rise largely and monthly because of hyperinflation, I didn't have much money so the quickest way to get a computer was buying an old Pentium 4 without a hard disk.

Surely Ubuntu and the great distributions are great and run fine on older machines as well, but I always liked the speed of Puppy, as well as its many original, unique tools created by members of the forum. I remember how I didn't like SeaMonkey, and now it's my default browser, I even run it as portable on Windows computers.

I can't program or compile, yet I was able to make small contributions as a way of saying thank you for this operative system.

Edited_time_total
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 19:59    Post_subject:  

Linuxquestions.org :
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/uninstalling-ubuntu-from-msi-wind-u100-lead-to-grub-loader-error-22-mbr-missing-800043/
Quote:
04-06-10
PS. Karl, you could try what vigi suggested (the Puppy Linux)

DM was on fire!

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 20:47    Post_subject:  

I was about ten years old when my dad (who was a computer tech) had heard about a new operating system named "Lindows." (The now defunct Linspire) Used it for a few years, got tired of various kernel panics, swapped to Ubuntu after getting student pack of discs from Canonical.
Lost my dualboot hard drive when the motherboard in the PC crapped out. Didn't feel like doing one on the new PC, and had heard about some Linux you could put on a thumb drive. PuppyLinux seemed neat enough. Been using it since 2008 now.
darry1966

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 04:35    Post_subject:  

...when I first tried Puppy 3.01, I was sold! I still love that particular Puppy.[/quote]

Hi Nitehawk me too.
6502coder

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 21:38    Post_subject:  

When I first discovered Puppy Linux, I had no experience with Linux per se, but a great deal of experience (over 20 years) slinging code on UNIX systems. So naturally I was very curious about Linux. I had a spare Celeron-cpu'd laptop lying around and tried the Ubuntu CD (this was Jaunty Jackalope) that came with a Linux magazine. It was not jaunty at all -- more like an elephant in molasses -- and could not connect to the laptop's built-in wireless. Plus, as a hard-core fan of UNIX and a hobbyist from the microcomputer era (Atari 800 and Commodore Amiga), I was astounded and aghast at all the bloat I found in Ubuntu.

Looking around for something much lighter, I eventually discovered Puppy, which at the time was at 4.1.2. It worked like a champ right out of the box, and I've been hooked ever since.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 18:34    Post_subject:  

6502coder wrote:
When I first discovered Puppy Linux, I had no experience with Linux per se, but a great deal of experience (over 20 years) slinging code on UNIX systems.

6502coder name reminds me:

I don't know when I first came across Puppy Linux, but I think it was a few years before I ever adopted it and joined the forum (I didn't adopt it earlier because I needed a multiuser system).

However, I do remember that the first programs I really wrote (aside from some earlier programming efforts with Fortran and Algol, at a time when I had no interest in computing and hence had trouble getting any programs to work...) was on the Compukit UK101 (BASIC in 8KBytes ROM and only 4KBytes of RAM... yes, KBytes, not MBytes or GBytes!!!...no hard or floppy disk - just cassette tape), which I soldered together in 1979, at a small secondary school in the scottish highlands and a colleague built a wooden case for it on my behalf:

http://www.gifford.co.uk/~coredump/uk101.htm

So first language was the tiny Microsoft BASIC on that machine (PEEKING and POKING to make simple computer games...). However, that machine also introduced me to Assembly Language programming (6502 microprocessor), which I learned by trial and error from a single-line sheet listing the available commands and their mneumonics (I had no book or no Internet at that time to find any other info). Actually, the 6502 coding was done in Hex (I almost still remember some of the 6502 hex codes on the tip of my tongue...)

That same year I also obtained a Science of Cambridge MK14 and used to interface to the 'outside world' with that too (school science experiments - I was a Physics teacher for a few years back then) - then we purchased an Acord System One before moving on to the great BBC B.

I loved that time of early days 6502 (followed later by Z80. 80x86 and 8051 with electronics interfacing) experimentation far more, to be honest, than my later dabblings with Linux (though that has its moments too...).

William

bugman-2.0

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 09:54    Post_subject:  

I'm trying to remember. Basically hated Windows and couldn't make sense of my free Ubuntu disc. Was on dialup so Puppy (1.07) was a viable option. So much simple.
delmar

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2014, 02:22    Post_subject:  

bugman-2.0 wrote:
I'm trying to remember. Basically hated Windows and couldn't make sense of my free Ubuntu disc. Was on dialup so Puppy (1.07) was a viable option. So much simple.
The only thing I ever hated about Windows is that every new incarnation of it is a bigger hog of resources than the last. Need more Ram, Need a bigger hard drive etc...

The thing I love about windows is that cheap ram, cheap storage, and cheap "outdated" hardware of just about every kind are now so readily available for those of us willing to forsake Windows.
Packetteer

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2014, 08:13    Post_subject:  

Hi All
For me it all started with a Vic-20.
Commodore basic and like the previous poster 6502 machine programing.
Then I moved up in the world to a Commodore 64 with 300 baud dial up.
Then came the 8088.
Then the Pentium versions of PC. Windows 3.1, 95, 98 , XP, Windows 7

In the beginning I would write basic programs that started out because
I wanted to answer the question "How do you get a computer to do.....?"
Once I had a working program that answered the above question I then
deleted the program and move on to the next How do you... question.

Eventually found out that
1) In the United States you could now get
an Amateur Radio license with out morse code. (1994)
2) That you could connect your PC to your radio.

So now I write software of interest to Amateur Radio operators using
Visual Basic.
Wanted to have Linux versions of my software.
Found Puppy.
I run Puppy from a flash drive.
Came to find out that I liked Puppy a lot more than Windows.
Now I only boot into Windows when I maintain one of my Visual Basic
projects or write new software.
I use Puppy on a daily bases.

On Puppy I use Bacon to write my software. Like Puppy Bacon is light and
fast.

I at one time used Ubuntu but did not like the turn on PC and find out
that it wants to update itself.
In other words I find Ubuntu to be too much like Windows.

Thank you for reading this way too long post
Best Regards
John
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 14:47    Post_subject:  

I first got interested in Linux at the end of the 90's / early 2000s, when I had my first computer (a 486) and downloaded a "Linux on a floppy" called tomsrtbt. It was interesting and had a lot of features and tools for its size, but I didn't do nearly as much with it as we expect to do with Linux distros now. (Looking back I realise I could have done more with it if I'd known more, but there you go).

In 2003 I upgraded to a computer which had a Pentium 100 processor and 32 MB of RAM, enough to be useful with Linux. I ran DOS on it, Windows 3.1, and an amazing (for its time) version of Linux called Basic Linux which could boot off either two floppies or your hard drive (using Loadlin) and was based on an old version of Slackware.

With that one I could surf the Web (in an old version of Opera) with just 32 MB of RAM and the Blackbox window manager.

However, it started to show signs of age, so;

In April 2006 I was given a newer computer, a Pentium 3, which had Windows XP and 5 spare GB at the end of the drive, on which I installed the latest version of Vector Linux 5.1 (a distro I'd seen reviewed in the UK's Custom PC magazine a couple of years earlier and thought I'd like to try).

That was good except that the support for dialup in Vector then was patchy (unlike Puppy's).

I downloaded Puppy, version 2.00 (which I'd also read about), in June of that year and the rest is history. Eight years on I've got Puppy on my hard drive and nothing else.

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.

Edited_time_total
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum