Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 27 Jun 2016, 09:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
wish list for next puppy release
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 24 [354 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
someSven

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 06:48    Post subject:  

Thanks for the hints, some of them are usefull, but I'm not talking how stuff works, but that it should be easier or happen automatically.

Quote:
Alt+Tab
Thanks, but both should be working, if possible.

Quote:
If you can still open a terminal and the mouse works, the application "xkill" might work for you. Or the command "restartwm", to restart the desktop instead of a full reboot.
No, I often get the problem of a complete freeze. My script is also not working yet, gonna try to improve it when I've time for that. I would so or so prefer to limit the ressources of programs instead of killing them.

Found something else: My notebook is not shutting down or going to sleep mode when batteries are empty. Seriously? Yeah, there may be a program for that, but this should be in the standard distro. Especially if you think of the problem that puppy can't fsck an encrypted filesystem at startup.
nubc

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct 2014, 16:16    Post subject:  

Rolling release Puppy based on Manjaro 0.8.10 -Xfce, -Openbox, or -Net (minimal). Develop the derivative in beta until Manjaro 1.x comes out.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 02:21    Post subject:  

ok some wishes :

- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...(solved)

...edited because I changed my mind and also solved one prob.

Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:10; edited 1 time in total
ASRI éducation

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 04:31    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
- add steam by default (for games)

What is steam?

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 05:32    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
ok some wishes :

- don't include abiword. It's buggy, it doesnt open or save my doc documents with images properly ...
- include firefox instead of seamonkey ? (ok I don't see many differences but people are used to firefox).
- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...

I agree with most of that, but the advantage of seamonkey over firefox is that it includes a basic e-mail program. (So does Opera, although the latest versions unfortunately aren't compatible with Puppy or even Linux; still, Opera 12.16 is pretty good).

Puppy also comes with Grub by default.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 05:47    Post subject:  

ASRI éducation wrote:
What is steam?
it's a platform for games.

Colonel Panic wrote:
I agree with most of that, but the advantage of seamonkey over firefox is that it includes a basic e-mail program. (So does Opera, although the latest versions unfortunately aren't compatible with Puppy or even Linux; still, Opera 12.16 is pretty good).
Puppy also comes with Grub by default.
I don't think a lot of people use an email client, mostly use webmail now. As for grub, when installing puppy, it doesn't install any bootloader, you have to do it manually. Plus grub is buggy in precise (missing grub-probe).
ldvivier

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 04:52    Post subject: On screen keyboard  

Good day

Not sure if I am missing it...but is there an onscreen keyboard bundled with PuppyLinux? Like Tahr or Precise or Lucid?

If I did miss it (using Tahr presently) I apologize...but otherwise I would just like to really recommend that it be standard install/bundled with all puppies.

It is one of those things that you NEEEEEEEVER need...until the day you REALLY REALLY REALLY need it... Smile

Regards

Last edited by ldvivier on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 07:42; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 05:02    Post subject: Re: On screen keyboard  

ldvivier wrote:
is there an onscreen keyboard bundled with PuppyLinux? Like Tahr or Precise or Lucid?
The only one I am aware of is called "xvkbd" and it comes in various versions (some need extra dependencies). I use a cutdown version (english characters only) which has a small format that doesn't take up too much screen real estate. If you want to try it the download link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ggu2isgwudd93z/xvkbd_gg_small-3.5.pet

If you find it doesnt run you can try typing xvkbd into a terminal and note any error messages regarding missing deps and we should be able to find them for you.
recobayu

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 10:56    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
ok some wishes :

You can try mukstart here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=859024#859024
Feel free to improve that Very Happy
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:08    Post subject:  

recobayu wrote:
linuxcbon wrote:
ok some wishes :

You can try mukstart here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=859024#859024
Feel free to improve that Very Happy

I found some time ago :
edit .jwmrc
add this line in the "Key bindings" :
<Key keycode="115">root:3</Key>

restart jwm
Left windows key should work.
peterw

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct 2015, 06:21    Post subject: Working Touchpad
Subject description: Kernels which have the means to work with the Cypress Touch pad as in Chromebooks.

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to raise this. Chromebooks such as the Acer C720, HP14, Dell machines have a Cypress touch pad. After kernel 3.17 the "driver" for the touch pad is in the kernel. As I understand it, when the kernel is compiled this feature has to be set to be included in it. Most recent distros work well on Chromebooks but Puppy ones (with the exception of Fatdog) do not. I know that Fatdog is different from the rest in that is uses "Linux from Scratch" sources whilst other Puppys use Woof. Could Woof be amended to include the Touch Pad feature? I might have got this wrong but it is what I understand.

I believe that Chrome books are a natural machine for Puppy in that they are cheap, are more than powerful enough for Puppy, etc.

peterw
darry1966

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2015, 05:40    Post subject:  

MMM ETP had made this: (First Link).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96910
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93008
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2015, 01:21    Post subject: Re: Working Touchpad
Subject description: Kernels which have the means to work with the Cypress Touch pad as in Chromebooks.

peterw wrote:
I believe that Chrome books are a natural machine for Puppy in that they are cheap, are more than powerful enough for Puppy, etc.

Is on the way to "mainstream"
You can actually build a chromebook puppy today from the rk3288 woof-CE branch

peterw

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2015, 09:36    Post subject: Puppy runs OK on Chromebooks with Intel Processors
Subject description: Compiling kernel with touch pad support

Hi mavrothal

I have never had any success at compiling the kernel. I have read much about it and ended up totally confused. I even joined the git site because that is what I thought I had to do. Anyhow I will have another go. I think that Tahr could be used as a base and then try and recompile the kernel for it. I may need much help.

peterw
grr_argh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 16:39    Post subject:  

I can't speak for whats on some of the newer pups, but on the long-term supported Price, here's the wishlist of an end user...

* Replace Seamonkey as the default browser with either Firedog or Chromium. I understand the desire to keep the Seamonkey suite as it offers a lot of applications in a compact size, but there are better alternatives out there. (see below)
* Include Sylpheed as an Email client.
* Replace Osmo with Sunbird.
* Rationalise the number of calculator programs. Currently there's four of them by default. Gcalculator would be the best one to retain, being the most user-friendly and intuitive, as well as having the most mature GUI.
* Same with the text editors (four of them!).
* Refresh the default desktop theme to something a more neutral/modern.

Page 23 of 24 [354 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: