Save Settings apart from xwin?

Booting, installing, newbie
Staffsmatt

Save Settings apart from xwin?

#1 Post by Staffsmatt »

Hi,

This may be a stupid question but is it possible to save a session but not save the graphics options?

I would like to use Puppy Linux (on a USB stick) on different PCs of different makes and models and would like to transfer settings (keyboard layout, language, and possibly the odd txt file) between them.

On some PCs though if I don't use the pfix=ram option puppy fails to boot (just a black screen with a blinking cursor) even if I use pfix=nox and then run xorgwizard. booting up with the pfix=ram works fine though so I think it must be something in my saved session..

Is there a way to selectively save my session so that the files and settings that I want are there but not the xwin settings?

Thanks

Matt

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

Staffsmatt, As this is your first post and query: Welcome to the forum. Attempting to use a single save file on various computer makes and models is always problematical - the various architectures on each board or the sections, such as video, are so different. Assuming the USB memory stick is relatively new, with lots of space, the easiest way to resolve the issue would be to create a new save-file for each computer you use. At the end of a 'pfix-ram' session save back to the USB as normal, but give the save-file a name specific to the computer you are using. Then, when next booting up, select the save-file for that machine. You can always create documents and folders outside the save-file's so that they are accessible to any of the computers at all times.

Latitude

#3 Post by Latitude »

Hi Staffsmatt,
On my desktop PC I would create a "basic Pupsave" (which I name lupusave_crypta-525_BASIC.2fs) with things like keyboard layout, language, touchpad tapping and filer windows options in it. This name tells me that it's Puppy 5.25 savefile and that it's got my BASIC settings in it.

I boot with a COPY of this "basic Pupsave" on my prehistoric Pentium 3 laptop. Puppy will detect the different characteristics of the graphics and, when prompted, I will set Xwin accordingly. Then I exit and rename that Pupsave file to lupusave_crypta-525_P3laptop.2fs. This way I know that Pupsave is tailored for the Pentium 3 laptop.

Then I boot with another copy of the "basic Pupsave" on my Pentium 4 laptop. Puppy will detect the different characteristics of the graphics card and, when prompted, I can set Xwin for that PC. Then I exit and rename that Pupsave to lupusave_crypta-525_P4laptop.2fs.

This way I can create a Pupsave for each machine quickly and easily, without having to go through all the basic settings every time.
If it's not Backed-Up, then it isn't really yours.
You just think it is.

neerajkolte

#4 Post by neerajkolte »

I thought pupsaves are basic sfs files.
Can't they be opened, delete files related to settings of xwin or whatever else, repacked.
Better yet merged in base sfs?
Kind of like remastering...

Thanks.

-Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Staffsmatt

#5 Post by Staffsmatt »

Thanks for the welcome :)

Latitude: How do you only save the keyboard layout etc? the first thing that happens on boot for me is that xwin is configured so when I save the 2fs file the xwin config goes with it, I think, unless I've misunderstood the process somewhere?

Regards

Matt