How to select which wireless router with RuTilt?

Using applications, configuring, problems
laptopnewbee

How to select which wireless router with RuTilt?

#1 Post by laptopnewbee »

i connect to the internet using county provided free wifi service. from the hotspot i use most of the time my lappy can 'see' 2 or more routers in this service (essid unplugged). my problem is that sometimes the router with the strongest signal acts funny and doesn't issue ip addresses. at these times i must relocate because RuTilt ignores the router i select and switches to the one with the strongest signal. the router of my choice while having the same essid operates on a different channel. is there a way to adjust, change, or edit a setting in RuTilt to make it go with my choice?
so much to learn, so late a start.

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

I thought that if you selected one under the Site survey tab, it would stay with it. But you could try the profiles tab on Rutilt, there you can select a channel. If you want it to connect to the same point at each boot you should probably check out the network wizard under the start menu.

laptopnewbee

#3 Post by laptopnewbee »

thanks for the reply.

in case my last try at a reply shows up i will say that some of this is covered in it.

the wiz in question sets things up so rutilt or wag can work with the card to connect, but i don't think it effects how the gadgets do their jobs after that.

i have made around 7 profiles, and no matter if i'm working from the profiles tab, or the scanner tab rutilt picks the router with the essid that i want, but given more than 1 it picks by stronger signal, not by my choice. this leaves me with having to move when that router is malfunctioning.

in this shot you can see that there are 4 routers in the system i want to use, but the highlighted one has the strongest signal, and no matter what i do that is the one that rutilt will connect me to unless i change my location to make one of the others stronger.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Maybe RutilT isn't the program that controls which wireless AP (Access Point) is chosen? I suppose RutilT is a "front end" GUI which controls other programs that run in the background. Maybe you can use the command-line to do what you want. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any documentation in Puppy for RutilT, yet, so you'll have to Google for it. :(

laptopnewbee

#5 Post by laptopnewbee »

thanks for the reply flash.

i have e-mailed the author of rutilt, and here is what i got back:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: RE: RuTilt: an information request.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:43:03 +0000

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in RutilT.
How do you connect to your network?
There are two ways to do so with RutilT :
- Apply a profile, in this case the utility doesn't
specify to which AP
connect, and that's up to the driver to choose.
- Using the site survey tab by double clicking on the
desired network, this
way
RutilT explicitely request an association to the
specified AP (if supported
by
the driver).
RutilT never change any setting on your back, so if
the association change,
it may comes from the driver policy.
I hope it was helpful, feel free to contact me if you
need further support.

Regards,
Romain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so now i'm looking to find out where such controls are kept in the drivers or the program that actually handles the connection.