Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 06:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
VLC 2.1.6 for Dpup Wheezy
Page 2 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 29 May 2014, 15:44    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
where's pup_ro2? i can't find it..

This may depend on the type of installation you have, but with live or frugal (which is what I normally use) you should have all the original virgin files under /initrd/pup_ro2

You can copy them out from there or alternatively deleting the overwritten files in the save-file under /initrd/pup_rw will restore by re-exposing the originals in pup_ro2 in the layered file system.

I did do a brief test of this VLC in Precise 5.7.1 myself and it seemed to be working. Glad you are finding the same. I believe Precise has the same libav (ffmpeg) version as Wheezy so that will help. Often stuff compiled in Wheezy will work in Precise but not the other way round because of glibc. I haven't seen this version of VLC for Precise anywhere so perhaps other Precise users would care to give it a test run also, but take the usual precautions if you do.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 30 May 2014, 20:31    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
where's pup_ro2? i can't find it..

This may depend on the type of installation you have, but with live or frugal (which is what I normally use) you should have all the original virgin files under /initrd/pup_ro2

You can copy them out from there or alternatively deleting the overwritten files in the save-file under /initrd/pup_rw will restore by re-exposing the originals in pup_ro2 in the layered file system.

I did do a brief test of this VLC in Precise 5.7.1 myself and it seemed to be working. Glad you are finding the same. I believe Precise has the same libav (ffmpeg) version as Wheezy so that will help. Often stuff compiled in Wheezy will work in Precise but not the other way round because of glibc. I haven't seen this version of VLC for Precise anywhere so perhaps other Precise users would care to give it a test run also, but take the usual precautions if you do.

so how messed up is it that i haven't got vlc stuff under _ro2? there was a little bit under _ro4. can you explain what the various _ro directories mean/are? thanks in advance.

at this point, "perfecting" this 5.5. set up with my preference for vlc over smplayer isn't a big deal--it works well enough and your vlc is on my "audio player computer" anyway. and now that i know i can hook up my modded-on-ebay (someone was cheaply putting large hard drives in old models a while back and i grabbed a few) zen nomad players to puppy, i have yet another way to access my music library on this machine, so this is as much for educational as practical purposes. i figured i should start asking questions rather than copying and linking what i could find... but it did occur to me to ask something that may be both practical and educational: is there a file or directory i could just copy from the 5.7.1 machine that can run it to the 5.5. machine that can't?

also, i'm loath sometimes to simply reboot, so i might be wasting your time with something that can be solved very easily and apologize in advance for possibly wasting your time.

anyway, thanks for all the stuff i've gotten from you, OscarTalks. it's quite a bit, actually.

Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Fri 30 May 2014, 22:16; edited 1 time in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 30 May 2014, 22:15    Post subject:  

Well, I would not expect to see VLC files in pup_ro2 because that is just the original .iso of the Pup. The ones like pup_ro4 are probably your .sfs packages that are loaded. The pup_rw is the save-file which is the top layer I think. This may all depend on your pupmode though.

I was thinking more about the libs that VLC is trying to link to. If you have previously installed something which has overwritten a good lib with a bad one and it is still stuck in there you can restore easily because the good one is always in there in pup_ro2 (it has to be). This would be a bad file covering up a good file of the same name in the layers, so for example, good libxyz in pup_ro2 can be restored by deleting the bad libxyz from pup_rw or by copying the good libxyz from pup_ro2 out into the main system tree.

One of your errors mentioned libtaglib_plugin.so which links to libtag.so.1 in the system so there is one lib to look at for starters to see if it has got lost or corrupted.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 30 May 2014, 22:17    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Well, I would not expect to see VLC files in pup_ro2 because that is just the original .iso of the Pup. The ones like pup_ro4 are probably your .sfs packages that are loaded. The pup_rw is the save-file which is the top layer I think. This may all depend on your pupmode though.

I was thinking more about the libs that VLC is trying to link to. If you have previously installed something which has overwritten a good lib with a bad one and it is still stuck in there you can restore easily because the good one is always in there in pup_ro2 (it has to be). This would be a bad file covering up a good file of the same name in the layers, so for example, good libxyz in pup_ro2 can be restored by deleting the bad libxyz from pup_rw or by copying the good libxyz from pup_ro2 out into the main system tree.

One of your errors mentioned libtaglib_plugin.so which links to libtag.so.1 in the system so there is one lib to look at for starters to see if it has got lost or corrupted.

thanks. that clears it up quite a bit.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 13:43    Post subject:  

I have compiled and uploaded version 2.1.5
Improvements include better handling of .mkv files.
Seems to work very well.
See first post.

Lil_humpers

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 15:06    Post subject: Thanks  

OscarTalks wrote:
I have compiled and uploaded version 2.1.5
Improvements include better handling of .mkv files.
Seems to work very well.
See first post.

Thanks for all your work. I generally check your threads for new apps and I am very appreciative of the files you do post...skype, deadbeef, VLC and your browsers.

Thanks!
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:09    Post subject: VLC 2.1.5 in Precise  

I'm using it in OpenBox Precise, the only difference with Precise 571 is the Woof-CE scripts and updated Puppy apps, so we could say it works OK for Precise as well.

Mmm... now that I remember, sound was muted at first, only for VLC. I had to set my sound device because audio was set to "Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)". In the VLC window I clicked Tools > Preferences and in Audio I specified ALSA as output module and Intel ICH4 Default Audio Device as preferred output device. I don't remember to have had to do it with the previous package in Precise 571, it could be something in my derivative. Also, Intel ICH4 is part of my hardware (IBM Pentium 4), sound cards/devices may be different in other hardware.

Anyway, this got VLC to produce sound, and I saved it to my personal vlc configuration files, which I copy to /root/.config/vlc after installing, starting and closing VLC for the first time--quicker than setting my keyboard shortcuts and other stuff from the beginning.

BTW, for those interested, the stream in the screenshot below is BBC Radio 1, click Media > Open Network Stream (or press CTRL+N), paste the following URL and click the Play button:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r1.asx

***EDIT***
I've tested the VLC 2.1.5 PET both in Precise 571 and OBprecise 140726 as fresh RAM sessions. In both cases sound did work OOTB. Apparently I did some tricky configs that I don't remember now, but in case anyone has VLC muted the solution described above may help.
Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.58.40.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   17.11 KB
 Viewed   1354 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.58.40.jpg

Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.29.18.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.98 KB
 Viewed   1308 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.29.18.jpg

Last edited by vicmz on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 20:51; edited 3 times in total
Lil_humpers

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 11:15    Post subject: Re: VLC 2.1.5 in Precise  

[quote="vicmz"]

Mmm... now that I remember, sound was muted at first, only for VLC. I had to set my sound device because audio was set to "Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)". In the VLC window I clicked Tools > Preferences and in Audio I specified ALSA as output module and Intel CH4 Default Audio Device as preferred output device. I don't remember to have had to do it with the previous package in Precise 571, it could be something in my derivative.
Illutorium

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:21    Post subject:  

I have a problem for Compile at VLC v3 (for FatDog64):

Compiles - "Compiles..."
[strike]But I am sure that's not a GUI as be can (That's will be turn on Command instead or When I will be use a VLC 2.2 instead?)...[/strike]

Update (11/11/2014): I will be compile with qt4.sfs (with dev' profiles) instead.

Now it's a command: ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-fatdog-linux --with-x --enable-run-as-root --enable-faad --enable-bluray --enable-fluidsynth --disable-dbus --disable-lua --disable-dc1394 --disable-dv1394 --disable-live555 --disable-nls --enable-rpi-omxil 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/opt/qt4/lib64/pkgconfig'

(with "make install-strip")

Now VLC GIT for FatDog64 is here -> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-xgN0KQ1LaSQWMzS1FwSXdwQXM&usp=sharing

When if you want check builds command then you can use at "vlc -vvv"
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2015, 05:51    Post subject:  

VLC 2.2.0 has been released. I did try compiling it in Dpup Wheezy but it looks like some libraries are too old or something. It certainly needs newer libdvdread and libdvdnav but even when I update those I still get an error.

They have also released version 2.1.6 on the same day and that one compiles OK so I have added a few more of the plugins including fluidsynth and this version is uploaded as .pet and .sfs

See first post.
vlc216.jpg
 Description   VLC 2.1.6 in Dpup Wheezy
 Filesize   63.12 KB
 Viewed   796 Time(s)

vlc216.jpg

Hesse James

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2015, 02:22    Post subject:  

Good morning Oscar
Thanks for the hint with VLC 2.2.0 being released. I downloaded it yesterday evening. Due to my investigations of some nightly-builds during the last weeks it was no supprise that 2.2.0 compiled ok. After a quick test I could not detect any problems so far (MP3, H.264).
I use latest Tahr build (6.0.2) with removed VLC and QT4.8.6 and added QT4.8.5 from Scabz (QT headers in DEVX modified too).
I overtook the configure parameters below from the Tahr-build VLC 2.1.4 (stems from Ubuntu repository -> therefor the complexity) and modified it if necessary (amount has to be reinvestigated). Of course a lot of libs had to be renewed by me prior to a successful build.
Good luck to your build attempts on Wheezy.
Christian

./configure '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man' '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' '--localstatedir=/var' '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--build=i686-linux-gnu' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro' '--config-cache' '--disable-maintainer-mode' '--disable-silent-rules' '--enable-update-check' '--enable-fast-install' '--prefix=/usr' '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/vlc-nox' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--with-binary-version=0ubuntu14.04.1' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-bluray' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-caca' '--enable-chromaprint' '--enable-dbus' '--enable-dca' '--enable-directfb' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-fluidsynth' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-jack' '--enable-kate' '--enable-libass' '--enable-freerdp' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-libxml2' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-live555' '--enable-mad' '--enable-mkv' '--disable-mod' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-mtp' '--enable-mux_ogg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-notify' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-opus' '--disable-oss' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-qt' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-samplerate' '--enable-schroedinger' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-sftp' '--enable-shout' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-smbclient' '--enable-speex' '--enable-svg' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-theora' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-upnp' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-x264' '--enable-zvbi' '--disable-decklink' '--enable-dxva2' '--disable-fdkaac' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--disable-goom' '--disable-opencv' '--disable-projectm' '--disable-sndio' '--disable-telx' '--disable-vsxu' '--disable-wasapi' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-atmo' '--enable-dc1394' '--enable-dv1394' '--enable-linsys' '--enable-omxil' '--disable-udev' '--disable-libva' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-crystalhd' '--enable-mmx' '--enable-sse' '--disable-neon' '--disable-altivec' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' '--disable-gst-decode' '--enable-xvideo' '--enable-run-as-root' '--enable-vdpau' '--disable-static' '--enable-x265' '--disable-mfx'
Lil_humpers

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015, 17:29    Post subject: VLC 2.16 for Dpup wheezy
Subject description: VLC 2.16 works

VLC 2.16 works in all the following

LX Wheezy 14.02

LX Precise Retro versions 14 and 15 after installing VLC 2.08 from package manager and then upgrade
bruno

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2015, 07:51    Post subject:    

Working great in Wheezy 3.5.2.11
thanks Oscar
vicmz

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:36    Post subject:  

Version 2.1.6 works in Precise. Some videos do not display subtitles, but I confirmed that this is because of the video file and not VLC.

A note for those who'd like to use the video conversion suite, at least in Precise it does not work. For that purpose use either FFConvert or the old VLC 2.0.5 Two Flower PET from quickpet_precise + qt4.8.2.sfs which work OK for video conversion.

8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr 2015, 21:50    Post subject:  

I have Puppy Unicorn as a full install on a 30gig USB hard drive.
Recently, I went to play a children's video 1.5 hours in length that had a web extension.
VLC started to play it and about half way through, VLC shut down and icons started disappearing from the desktop as well as the 29gigs of free space on the drive according to a desktop app turned red.
I had to manually shut down as the usual methods of shutting down did not work including alt-ctrl-bkspace.
I booted to another version of linux on my hard drive and did a file system check of the unmounted USB hard drive linux partition and it came up clean.
So what happened to cause this? Buffer Overflow in VLC?
Do not know. Just a guess.
Page 2 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: