Distrowatch

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
EarlSmith

Distrowatch

#1 Post by EarlSmith »

If you go to the Puppy website through Distrowatch once a day it will be counted in the Puppy totals.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

No need to pump Puppy up with steroids. The little guy is growing fast!

EarlSmith

#3 Post by EarlSmith »

Flash, At the moment I am writing this replay, I am the only registered user and there are 5 guest online. At the moment we have about 440 registered users.
Puppy 1.0.4 just came out and the surge has already passed.
I think the more registered users the better. The more people who know about Puppy, the better for them and for us. The Puppy forum is open 24/7 and at this moment I am the only registered user online.
Do we have a person who is a Tcl guru, a "c" guru, ....etc. We may have most of those but we need more experienced people to help the less experienced. Bladerunner seems to need a rest from we who know very little but are learning, so we must have people to fill in for the people like bladerunner who need a rest Barry is caring a load in development, other people like Lobster seem to still have the enthusiam to want to help everyone. To few people are carring the load, we need more people and a little adverstising on Distrowatch seems to be one way.
Just one Puppy user's opinion! :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

EarlSmith wrote:Lobster seem to still have the enthusiam to want to help everyone.
So much enthusiasm
so little ability . . .

We are getting more users and some people come up to speed very quickly. A very good crowd around Puppy. Long may it continue.
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

I'm just back from a business trip to sunny Southern California and I'm checking the download stats for Chubby Puppy...

Although I'll post my findings on the other page I've got running, here are a few things to ponder as this thread continues... (http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1418)

July 16-31 numbers: 14,082 downloads of Chubby Puppy, 773,625,364KBs transferred.

Although August 2nd isn't done yet, as of the time of this posting, there have been 657 downloads of Chubby Puppy, 22,953,376KBs transferred.

Looking at the trends, I've seen a sharp decrease in hits.

puppian

suggestion only

#6 Post by puppian »

14,082 downloads, not including standard puppy and other puplets. Em...but we just have 4XX registered users. Less than 10%...

Well, there maybe something we can do. Many forums restrict certain rights to non-registered users. E.g., the right to post, to download/upload, or to read certain posts, etc. People (especially puppies) are lazy :) There must be some reasons for them to do something. Once they registered, there would be a sense of belonging and they'll come back more often to check things out :D

but the restrictions shouldn't be too strict of course

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

Ups, I missed it: Restrict access so we have more users? (rarsa makes a flat hand movement over his head). I would have thought that the oppostite is true.

I guess that there may be several explanations for people not coming to the forum:

A) Not that many people in the forum means success!

Most people use the forums to ask questions and report issues. If people can just pop-in the CD and run Puppy without a problem, they may not come here.

If they are happy with puppy and they don't have time or the interest or they think that they cannot add anything new, they may not come.

B) They don't know that there is a Puppy forum.

C) They don't like to use forums.

Actually in any forum, there are just a handfull of users are regulars. Even in large forums like LinuxQuestions.org you can identify the 'repliers' after some time being around.

If you go to the Linspire forum you will see very low participation. I attribute that to Linspire being the most Newbie friendly distro and having good documentation and tutorials for their intended audience.

When I encourage other people to try puppy it is just to make their lifes easier. I may just be a loner geek, but I don't see 'belonging' as a reason to use a distro.

So, as long as the people that use puppy are happy with it, why should we feel that there needs to be 'security in the numbers'?

I agree that more people contributing may help improving puppy. But... Does Barry really want to be 'managing development' ? or just continue having fun developing puppy?

It's puppy, Keep it simple.