How to make Windows app (installed using Wine) the default?

Booting, installing, newbie
rupak504

How to make Windows app (installed using Wine) the default?

#1 Post by rupak504 »

Namaste

I am using lupu-528.005 , i installed a windows app eg. say foxitreader.exe using wine.It installed ok, but it didnt show up in menu secondly what do i do if i want to make this wine installed foxit my default reader in puppy.

Thank you :shock:

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

ok someone may have a simpler answer.

You have no menu entry since its a program under wine and puppy does not handle desktop files created by wine in /root/.local

I do it by making a miniscript like

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh

a=${1/\//Z:\\}
a=${a//\//\\}

wine /usr/local/kool/SAflashplayer7.exe "$a"
which I then use rox to set as default action from the right click menu... the code is needed to convert the linux address to a windows one that the program will understand...you could follow this pattern to do this for foxit but make sure the path for it is correct...something like /root/.wine/c_drive/program files etc etc...and if spaces are present enclose in "quotes".

If this sounds a bit unfamiliar then just ask for help

mike

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. Here in Slacko-5.7.0 I used the PPM to install the Puppy-Linux version = FoxitReader-1.1.0; never had any trouble using it.

Why would you want to use the Windows version, when the Linux version is available?

2. When I want to run Windows programs in WINE...
I have a HUGE number of portable Windows programs on my e: partition [sda3].
See below, the top folders holding these.
I run any of those by entering the command winefile in a terminal...
Choosing to use the z: drive...
Navigating to the exe file for the program, and double-click it to run it.

3. Here's a link to a download page for Foxit Reader Portable.
Attachments
00.jpg
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 686 times

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

the linux version of foxit is severely lacking functions compared to the windows release and development stopped years ago with no plans to continue.
poppler based readers have some rendering joke funnies at times.... a recent one was hysterical...text was totally out of place and back to front for example when printing...even the linux foxit got it right. I assume some linux users print cos sometimes it seems otherwise. :D

Regardless of portable or not to make it click and open with windows foxit a script like above is usually needed.

mike

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

I use SumatraPDF, better than Foxit imho. Anyways, back to the opening poster's questions. Easiest way to start a windows application is to make a shortcut of the applicable .exe file to desktop (drag and drop). By right-clicking on the shortcut you can change the name, icon, etc. To make a certain windows program the default handler for a specific file type you can go to/usr/local/bin. In this folder you will find a few default handling scripts already. Say for instance you want to make a windows program called "spreadsheet" your default spreadsheet handler, right-click on the defaultspreadsheet script and choose open as text. Then edit the execution path eg: exec wine "followed by location of exe file". Alternative: Right-click on a file with the extension you want to open with a windows program and select "set run-action to". In the bottom space fill in the path of the executable eg: wine "followed by path of executable". In my experience this defaut handling does not always work perfectly for windows applications. For instance, I have a word processor called Atlantis, when I click a specific file associated with it, Atlantis will run but the specific file will not open I have to open it from within Atlantis. To get a windows application into puppy's menu is a bit of a task. The desktop files are kept in /usr/share/applications so you will have to create another desktop file here. Easiest way is to edit an existing desktop file which basically has the same use as the windows program you want to use. So right-click, edit with your windows program's details, save as another desktop file. After this you will have to run fixmenus from terminal and then restart JWM to see the menu entry. I know this is a lot of information but ask if you need more help.

version2013

#6 Post by version2013 »

nic007 wrote:...Say for instance you want to make a windows program called "spreadsheet" your default spreadsheet handler, right-click on the defaultspreadsheet script and choose open as text. Then edit the execution path eg: exec wine "followed by location of exe file". Alternative: Right-click on a file with the extension you want to open with a windows program and select "set run-action to". In the bottom space fill in the path of the executable eg: wine "followed by path of executable". In my experience this defaut handling does not always work perfectly for windows applications. For instance, I have a word processor called Atlantis, when I click a specific file associated with it, Atlantis will run but the specific file will not open I have to open it from within Atlantis. ...
eg: exec wine "followed by location of exe file" "$@"
eg. wine "followed by path of executable" "$@"

Does adding "$@" or "$1" (with quotes) fix that issue?
I have noticed that extra bit when I open different scripts in /root/Choices/MIME-types/

rupak504

#7 Post by rupak504 »

wow , Thank you mikeb, nic007,Sylvander.You guys r great and this forum is very much alive. :) :shock: :)

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

version2013 wrote:
nic007 wrote:...Say for instance you want to make a windows program called "spreadsheet" your default spreadsheet handler, right-click on the defaultspreadsheet script and choose open as text. Then edit the execution path eg: exec wine "followed by location of exe file". Alternative: Right-click on a file with the extension you want to open with a windows program and select "set run-action to". In the bottom space fill in the path of the executable eg: wine "followed by path of executable". In my experience this defaut handling does not always work perfectly for windows applications. For instance, I have a word processor called Atlantis, when I click a specific file associated with it, Atlantis will run but the specific file will not open I have to open it from within Atlantis. ...
eg: exec wine "followed by location of exe file" "$@"
eg. wine "followed by path of executable" "$@"

Does adding "$@" or "$1" (with quotes) fix that issue?
I have noticed that extra bit when I open different scripts in /root/Choices/MIME-types/
Yes that must obviously follow but it does not fix the specific problem. It seems to have something to do with the specific windows program you use. Some work "right" others don't

RSH

#9 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Here is how I do run .exe Files and how I do send e.g. .mp3 Files to Audacity Portable.

Usually my Portable Apps .exe Files are present in a Menu Pipe. When clicking such Menu Entry it searches and loads automatically a pre-defined Wine SFS and immediately after that executing the Portable Apps .exe File.

To do this I do have two Scripts in /root/Choices/MIME-types.

First Script is called: application_x-ms-dos-executable, and has the following content:

#! /bin/sh
exec /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-my-wine-apps-starter "$@"
The 2nd Script is called: application_x-my-wine-apps-starter (like the above code shows) and has the following content:

#! /bin/sh
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Load Wine SFS and execute Windows .exe Application

# Set Name of your Wine SFS here
WineSFS="LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs"

FileLoopMnt() { mount |grep loop* |sed 's# .*$##' | while read N
	do losetup-FULL $N |grep $WineSFS |sed 's#^.* .##;s#.$##' ;done ; }
fm=$(FileLoopMnt)

bfm=`basename $fm`
if [ "$bfm" = "" ]; then
	sfs_load --cli --skip-fixmenus --quiet "$WineSFS"
	exec wine "$@"
	else
	exec wine "$@"
fi
Just enter the Name of your Wine SFS in this Line: WineSFS="LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs"

To send automatically .mp3 Files to Audacity Portable in Wine, I change the default action for .mp3 Files (right-clicking a .mp3, default action or run action ???, I'm in DE, so don't know the right term) and entering the following line as the new command:

exec wine /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/AudacityPortable/AudacityPortable.exe "$1"
Probably this will be better for sending multiple Files:

exec wine /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/AudacityPortable/AudacityPortable.exe "$@"
Note the difference: "$1" <--> "$@" and note the drive: /mnt/sdc1 (needs to be changed to your needs)

This should do what you need, though the Wine SFS needs to be loaded first.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

version2013

#10 Post by version2013 »

I have not used portable apps before.

How are wine prefixes handled?
Does each portable app have a separate wine prefix?
Last edited by version2013 on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

RSH

#11 Post by RSH »

Hi, version2013.

Usually the Portable Applications are packaged in a directory that contains everything what's needed, to run a installable Application as PortableApp.

Those Applications that needs to set some data into the registry come with the needed files, which are handled/executed from the Portable App. This Portable App does initialize all needed settings and then executes the binary.

Example on MP3GainPortable:

The Portable App
- /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/MP3GainPortable/MP3GainPortable.exe

The real Application binary (.exe)
- /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/MP3GainPortable/App/MP3Gain/mp3gain.exe

The Registry File
- /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/MP3GainPortable/Data/settings/MP3Gain.reg

The Application Settings
- /mnt/sdc1/PortableApplications/PortableApps/MP3GainPortable/Data/settings/MP3GainPortableSettings.ini

Some .exe Applications that come with an installer do work as PortableApp also. Just copy the Applications Directory from Wine Program Folder to your PortableApps Directory.

I have done this successfully e.g. for FractalFr0st (Fractal Image Creator), WavOSaur (Audio Editor), Photoline32 7.20 (Graphics with Layers Technic), Kid3 (Audio Tagger) and some more.

On the other Hand there is a Portable Application Builder available, though I've never tested it.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
PortableApp Directory
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
image-3.jpg
Applications Directory
(10 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
image-1.jpg
Registry and Settings
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

Geoffrey

#12 Post by Geoffrey »

I use this command to run windows apps, as an example:

exec wine start /Unix "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe $@"
the quotes are needed if there are spaces in the path or file names
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

RSH

#13 Post by RSH »

In my experience this defaut handling does not always work perfectly for windows applications. For instance, I have a word processor called Atlantis, when I click a specific file associated with it, Atlantis will run but the specific file will not open I have to open it from within Atlantis.
This different behavior of applications for Wine is not dependent specifically on the application, but on the type of the application.

Example:

Audacity is a Cross-Platform-Audio-Editor. So it's code knows how to handle path's like /mnt/sda1. Even the Windows version. Since true Windows applications did never seen any GNU/Linux File System, they can't handle path's starting with /mnt.

Since the beginning of my Forum activities and LazY Puppy development I do own a 300 MB Wine SFS which has Corel Photopaint 8 installed. Since these days I tried to get this to work, to send .cpt files directly to the Wine SFS, executing Photopaint and loading the file. Everything works, except loading the file.

So due to this discussion I did again some work on this -have planned this already long time ago- and do you know what?

I did solve this! I'm able now to send a .cpt file directly into Corel Photopaint 8 to start editing immediately. Even though it doesn't know path's starting with /mnt!

So, here is what I've done:

Created a Script called, corelphotopaint-executor, including the following code:

#!/bin/bash -a
# Executing Corel Photopaint 8 in Wine and submit a File
# 2014-08-21 RSH for LazY Puppy

SUBMIT="$1"
exec wine "C:\\Corel\\Graphics8\\Programs\photopnt.exe" "C:\\`basename "$SUBMIT"`" >/dev/null

# End
Placed this Script into /usr/local/bin.

From my 2nd Script above, I've replaced this

exec wine "$@"
   else
   exec wine "$@"
with this

cp -af "$1" "/root/.wine/drive_c/"
	/usr/local/bin/corelphotopaint-executor "$1" >/dev/null
	#rox "/root/.wine/drive_c"
	cp -af -u "/root/.wine/drive_c/`basename "$1"`" "$1"
	rm -f "/root/.wine/drive_c/`basename "$1"`"
	#######################
	else # [ "$bfm" = "" ];
	#######################
I have called this Script, defaultcorelphotoeditor, and put it into /usr/local/bin. Then I've set the default run action of .cpt files to command: /usr/local/bin/defaultcorelphotoeditor "$@"

The whole mystery is to copy the file to /root/.wine/drive_c and to send it to the Wine application from its new location. After exiting the Wine application copying the file back to original (with mode update only, -u) and remove the file at its new location.

That's just all.

Currently this needs to be done for each Wine application separately where such performance would be needed to send a file directly to a Wine application.

I'm a Hacker

(Richard Stallman, RSH)

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

RSH wrote:

In my experience this defaut handling does not always work perfectly for windows applications. For instance, I have a word processor called Atlantis, when I click a specific file associated with it, Atlantis will run but the specific file will not open I have to open it from within Atlantis.
This different behavior of applications for Wine is not dependent specifically on the application, but on the type of the application.

Example:

Audacity is a Cross-Platform-Audio-Editor. So it's code knows how to handle path's like /mnt/sda1. Even the Windows version. Since true Windows applications did never seen any GNU/Linux File System, they can't handle path's starting with /mnt.

Since the beginning of my Forum activities and LazY Puppy development I do own a 300 MB Wine SFS which has Corel Photopaint 8 installed. Since these days I tried to get this to work, to send .cpt files directly to the Wine SFS, executing Photopaint and loading the file. Everything works, except loading the file.

So due to this discussion I did again some work on this -have planned this already long time ago- and do you know what?

I did solve this! I'm able now to send a .cpt file directly into Corel Photopaint 8 to start editing immediately. Even though it doesn't know path's starting with /mnt!

So, here is what I've done:

Created a Script called, corelphotopaint-executor, including the following code:

#!/bin/bash -a

SUBMIT="$1"
exec wine "C:\\Corel\\Graphics8\\Programs\photopnt.exe" "C:\\`basename "$SUBMIT"`" >/dev/null

# End
Placed this Script into /usr/local/bin.

From my 2nd Script above, I've replaced this

exec wine "$@"
   else
   exec wine "$@"
with this

#######################
	else # [ "$bfm" = "" ];
	#######################
I have called this Script, defaultcorelphotoeditor, and put it into /usr/local/bin. Then I've set the default run action of .cpt files to command: /usr/local/bin/defaultcorelphotoeditor "$@"

The whole mystery is to copy the file to /root/.wine/drive_c and to send it to the Wine application from its new location. After exiting the Wine application copying the file back to original (with mode update only, -u) and remove the file at its new location.

That's just all.

Currently this needs to be done for each Wine application separately where such performance would be needed to send a file directly to a Wine application.

I'm a Hacker

(Richard Stallman, RSH)
I only have one program that has this issue. It's a word processor called Atlantis. I run all my windows programs directly from my second partition (sda5) where I have Windows installed. So the exe file for this will be in /mnt/sda5/Program Files/Atlantis/Atlantis.exe. I'm not quite sure I follow your method above but wouldn't it be possible to just add something extra in " set run action to" for the specific file extention?

RSH

#15 Post by RSH »

I only have one program that has this issue. It's a word processor called Atlantis. I run all my windows programs directly from my second partition (sda5) where I have Windows installed. So the exe file for this will be in /mnt/sda5/Program Files/Atlantis/Atlantis.exe. I'm not quite sure I follow your method above but wouldn't it be possible to just add something extra in " set run action to" for the specific file extention?
I have worked on this again and again since I've joined the Forum, but until today I didn't found any other solution. Only copying the File to /root/.wine/drive_c did work. Just doing a symbolic e.g. will load the file, but saving from Wine program overwrites the symbolic link instead saving to the linked file.

I'm quite sure, from where the Wine program is started doesn't really matter. What matters is a file that contains C:\ or similar in its path. Exceptions are Cross-Platform Applications since the know /mnt.

Just give it a try. If it works -I'm sure, it will- then it's definitely worth the effort.

davids45

Set Run Action (make a new one in Rox)

#16 Post by davids45 »

G'day rupak504,

Can you drag the .exe file, of the program you want to be a new default for an existing file type, to your Puppy desktop from a small Rox window? Look in /root/.wine/..... for the .exe to drag.

Does the program run if you click on this new desktop icon (probably a gear wheel initially)?

If so, you may be able to set this program as the default for the type of file (extension) by changing the 'Set Run Action' offered in Rox for that extension.

In Rox, go to a directory which has one of the data files that you want to be opened by this new program. Right click on this file to open the Rox menu and select the 'Set Run Action' option.

A new dialog box should open.

You should see two options - one radio button for 'Only for the type ... ' file extension to be opened by a new Run Action (it should show the three letter extension and this extension must match your wanted file type!!!)

- the other button is for setting a new action for all files of a broad class of file (don't use this other button!).

If the file extension is correct in the 'Only...' button option line and matches exactly the type of file you want to set for the new default, select this button and drag the icon of the .exe program from the desktop into the dialog box. Quit/cancel if the extension does not match or if you have highlighted the wrong radio-button.

Press 'OK' if it matches and the box will close.

Now try opening another file of this same extension type by left-clicking on it in Rox.

'Fingers crossed' and it will open with the new program.

If Rox does not show the right extension, you may need to add this extension to your /usr/share/mime/globs file. This is not always simple so don't try adding to the globs file in /usr/share/mime/ if you cannot re-install Puppy quickly.
But feel free to have a look at the globs file ('Open as Text') which lists all the extensions Rox has been told about in your particular Puppy.

Good luck.

David S.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Well for transparent file opening some form of address translation is needed... Geoffrey it sounds like you have a neat solution for that buried in this thread... much easier than miniscripts :)

mike

RSH

#18 Post by RSH »

mikeb wrote:Geoffrey it sounds like you have a neat solution for that buried in this thread... much easier than miniscripts :)
Confirmed! :D

After changing my first script to this,

#!/bin/bash -a

SUBMIT="$1"
#exec wine "C:\\Corel\\Graphics8\\Programs\photopnt.exe" "C:\\`basename "$SUBMIT"`" >/dev/null
exec wine start /Unix "/root/.wine/drive_c/Corel/Graphics8/Programs/photopnt.exe $@"

# End
I could change the related part of my 2nd script from this,

#######################
   else # [ "$bfm" = "" ];
   #######################
just to this:

#######################
   else # [ "$bfm" = "" ];
   #######################
No more copying to /root/.wine/drive_c needed. :D

I have extended this for the use of Corel Photopaint 8, Corel Draw 8, Corel Dream 3D 8 and some of its tools like the Corel Script Editor and built in to all of my LazY Puppy Systems, so I'm now able to send .cpt, .cdr, .d3d and .csc files etc. directly to its programs - Wine loads automatically.

Thanks for this useful line of code.
Geoffrey wrote:I use this command to run windows apps, as an example:

exec wine start /Unix "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe $@"
the quotes are needed if there are spaces in the path or file names
While working on my hack, I did use the terminal to get some information from Wine (# wine --help) (I do use 1.3.13), but Wine doesn't come up with any information about options like start and /Unix.

Where to find such information?

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Yes neat indeed...I wonder how long that option has been available as I have torn out some remaining hair in the past dealing with path conversion.
My main need was to run the standalone flashplayer and the windows one was better for the job at the time....thats mainly because there has been a problem for years of wine not playing local content using flash (I joined the bug report in 2007!)...I think you have to pay for codeweavers to get that functionality.

You learn something new every day.

mike

version2013

#20 Post by version2013 »

RSH wrote: While working on my hack, I did use the terminal to get some information from Wine (# wine --help) (I do use 1.3.13), but Wine doesn't come up with any information about options like start and /Unix.

Where to find such information?
I found these:
http://wiki.winehq.org/start
6.4. How should I start Windows programs from the command line?

Funny, I still have not read the entire Wine Wiki yet.