nvidia geforce mx 440 driver ?

For drivers and kernel modules.
georg1

#21 Post by georg1 »

okay will try this first in the morning, cuz im must go to sleep mode tired like hell.

but thank you anyway for now. will report what happen

bye (thumb Up)

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Galbi may have a point...its an older driver and a very new kernel on slacko... not to mention the release of xorg.

Since slacko is proving to be a problem with drivers then surely something older makes sense if it works....if you have a mx440 i assume the rest of the gear is not exactly this weeks machine.

By the way I have 2 MX4000 cards... newest I ever ran with was Slax 7 which was a pain in the butt and thats significantly older than slacko.

mike

georg1

#23 Post by georg1 »

got same
md5sum NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run

Is not really totall over the time machine, I just put that mx 440 because I make another PC for my friend who use just email, youtube, facebook and card games like solitaire -from chrome store-

But I see later that sistem may work more smooth if will use proper drivers for nvidia.

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory 2073MB (242MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Slacko Puppy - 5.7.0
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri Aug 22 10:28:04 2014

So What is my best option, leave like it is, install puppy precise, or keep tryin :)

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Well you seem to be banging your head against a wall with slacko...I suggest something else.... there are proven pups like lucid and perhaps precise that work happily with the hardware you mention. Cutting edge gets a bit hit and miss with older hardware... I never bother with the latest distros as the chances are they will not like something I have...the hardware support window of linux is smaller than windows roughly speaking....and we are looking at 10 years+ here.

mike

georg1

#25 Post by georg1 »

Aha OK. so you suggest lucid ?

mikeb

#26 Post by mikeb »

Well it does have good support here and reputation.... all pups are free to try out so testing for hardware compatibility is a pretty painless activity. I believe it has a wizard for adding the nvidia driver too... might be in quickpet.

mike

georg1

#27 Post by georg1 »

Aha OK. thx.

I try find proper lucid puppy, are called exact lucid or name LUPU is same aswell ?

meanwhile I install puppy precise (FRUGAL) just for test, and install getnvidia, kernel and devx, than test if on precise will work.

And got same error like on slacko, than again I just tested with random linux 32 drivers I think this time for GT 8800 and again work like must.

So I think must be problem with that NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run file
EDIT: In fact I think all files for that videocard is or incompatible or corrupted, because I try even with older drivers for that card all from nividia direct, and allways got same result.

Bacause I want test again in LUCID and see where the hell is problem, you know is really depressed thing if you not shure if doin right way.

Thank you

mikeb

#28 Post by mikeb »

if precise works for you then use it.
Lupu/lucid... yes sort of the same..I think the name evolved...there have been some recent updates too.

For any of those I fully expect there to be a prebuilt driver as a pet... I got one for Lucid.

The latest kernels are probably too unfriendly to build the older driver.... geeks would consider such support a waste of time.

mike

ps to save you searching here's the driver I use in lucid...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110545536/Puppy ... 6.33.2.pet

georg1

#29 Post by georg1 »

Yes right, waste of time, but Im a guy who will success or take a hammer and crush that PC :)

Okay, on lucid I got installed like nothing, and all work, just diferent menu is problem now for me, but I think will convince my friend to migrate on lucid with sending to him link of this thread, to see what problem I got.

Ok. thank you all for support

EDIT: I cant find kernel for lucid, just to test if I can compile that famous driver here.

Kernel : Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : GNU C Compiler version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0,52
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
-Misc-
Uptime : 59 minutes
Load Average : 0,00, 0,00, 0,00

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

Sometimes the path of least resistance is the right one.....
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

the devx_525 seems to cover 528...no significant changes I believe and the sources for 2.6.33.2 are just above.

mike

totolanio

#31 Post by totolanio »

how to install the nvidia driver for this GPU while Xorg version is 1.15 and the nvidia driver (93.xxx) is only working with Xorg 1.12 ?

Tahr pup or any puplet based on it will be using Xorg 1.15 while Puppy Precise 5.7.1 used Xorg 1.11.3
I didn't try to install the drivers on Puppy Precise though but I know the drivers can work on lubuntu with Xorg 1.11 (but not above or equal to 1.12)

If I could install it, I would be able to go from 1024 to 1280px in width !

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

not a definative answer but it MIGHT work as long as you have a matching kernel driver or build it. Xorg might tolerate the older driver...again MIGHT.

Otherwise you are stuck.... well you cannot use tahr with that card unless you use nouveau assuming that supports it...assuming tahr includes nouveau. Lots of assumptions.

mike

Griot

#33 Post by Griot »

totolanio wrote:how to install the nvidia driver for this GPU while Xorg version is 1.15 and the nvidia driver (93.xxx) is only working with Xorg 1.12 ?

Tahr pup or any puplet based on it will be using Xorg 1.15 while Puppy Precise 5.7.1 used Xorg 1.11.3
I didn't try to install the drivers on Puppy Precise though but I know the drivers can work on lubuntu with Xorg 1.11 (but not above or equal to 1.12)

If I could install it, I would be able to go from 1024 to 1280px in width !
Hi, totolanio. Here is a solution for installing nVidia
legacy96-driver-96.43.23-k3.9.11 for Precise 5.71
Please, read carefully and restart your PC after removing nouveau driver. Good luck. :wink:

totolanio

#34 Post by totolanio »

ok thank you it worked ! I just can't go past 1024*768 px I guess it's because of my screen monitor

Sum up :

Important if you have a black screen when using xorgwizard

Make a savefile.
Reboot.
Choose nv or vesa driver by using the xorgwizard, you press two arrow down and then right arrow and then Enter Enter Enter until you restart. Since you have alreay made a savefile it will automatically save your new driver and when you'll reboot you'll have to finish the settings in xorgwizard.

Now you remove the nouveau driver by typing :
rmmod nouveau

if you type it again it will say it doesn't exist (normal)

And then you can install the Catdude's pet.

Then you (eventually reboot and) can modify Nvidia settings in the start menu.

bobc

#35 Post by bobc »

I haven't tried it with puppy, but I have older nvidia 96.xx cards in my machines, and from experience with other distros, IIRC the proprietary nvidia programs won't install with anything higher than a Wheezy kernel, I believe its like 3.2.53 or so.

But I was wrong... CatDude figured it out...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 264#796264

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

some clever bunnies around here.... keeping a handle on the latest kernel quirks is an art form.

I bent the other way ages ago and managed to get fixes to make certain usb audio cards to work on 2.6.xx kernels.... all good fun.

I have a couple of mx4000 which are similar .... make my old gear play nicely...literally :)

mike

bobc

#37 Post by bobc »

Yes, those are pretty good cards for their day. They were good at video games even with a 400 mhz machine.

I will give his code a test run today, sometime on my old Dell Inspiron 8100 that is in dire need of it.

I want to learn how to take my Slacko kernel and get the source, add or remove a few module(s), recompile, and test it. Where can I learn how to do that? Any ideas?

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

Well i got the sources given for compiling and built that using fairly generic instructions..advantage is the config is set to how puppy wants it.
Obviously any changes will mean existing modules are incompatible.
In my case I wanted to add kvm to lucids kernel. All went pretty smoothly really.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CompilingKernel
might be a good starting point.

If you only want to build, add or modify drivers then there's no need to do the whole kernel..building out of tree is possible,

mike

bobc

#39 Post by bobc »

Thanks again for your ideas and the link. I have no idea why search didn't find that.

In my case, its just to add modules i need, and potentially remove ones I will never, ever need or use.

For example I need aic7xxx because all of my pre-2005 machines were Adaptec SCSI, but I don't need oddball filesystem types like BTRFS, XFS or JFS. The only filesystem types I use are FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4 and Linux Swap, if that is a type.

Perhaps I could find other things I don't ever need. For example, all my machines use nVidia, ATI or Intel onboard video.

Another example is that all of my machines support at least PAE and SSE.

Basically, I'm looking to add the things I need to boot any of my machines, and still looking to minimize the memory footprint and cpu usage. I'm trying to get it to where I am running happily with the same OS on all the machines in the house.

PS: So if I download and do what that page says with the same kernel my slacko 5.7.0 uses now and made no changes,it should generate the same kernel I have now?

Also, what does it mean "building out of tree"?

I'm learning a lot lately... Thanks again :)

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Building out of tree means build an individual kernel module rather along with a complete build as it normally would be. You can also build a module 'in tree' by requesting it individually but that does involve some kernel preparation...never tried that approach (yet).

But before going any further this sounds more like you simply need to remove what's unwanted, add what you do... and then use the puppy remaster script to make your custom build. Any kernel module changes will be included.

mike