Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
ardvark

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug 2014, 01:29    Post_subject:  

Hi...

I don't think this a problem with Puppy but with Skype itself. I don't know that much about this particular piece of software since I've never actually used it but perhaps the Skype community could be of more help here (unless someone who is a lot more knowledgeable chimes in.) Please see here (you might need to register,) and then choose "Linux" under "Skype for computer and Xbox." Smile

Let us know how it goes...

Regards
I.Christiani

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug 2014, 11:35    Post_subject: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite  

I don't want to hijack this post further for unrelated questions.I will look further in Skype as you suggested or post a new post for this problem.I want to thank everybody for the quick and good help .Without you I would still sit with a none working computer.I learned a lot.Thank you so much.Special thanks to Ardvark.You help was super.Thanks again.
ardvark

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug 2014, 16:11    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite  

I.Christiani wrote:
I don't want to hijack this post further for unrelated questions.I will look further in Skype as you suggested or post a new post for this problem.I want to thank everybody for the quick and good help .Without you I would still sit with a none working computer.I learned a lot.Thank you so much.Special thanks to Ardvark.You help was super.Thanks again.

You're more than welcome, glad I could help. Smile

If you want to post back with a link to your Skype community thread, I would be happy to see (or watch) how this develops, although I don't have an account there. Smile

Regards...
I.Christiani

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug 2014, 13:07    Post_subject: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite ?  

Of Course I will report back if I got the problem solved..You can follow the discussion in Skype - Linux.You will see "Video call and sound problem " By "e.waggelwater" .Till now no reply's.
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug 2014, 18:07    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite ?  

I.Christiani wrote:
Of Course I will report back if I got the problem solved..You can follow the discussion in Skype - Linux.You will see "Video call and sound problem " By "e.waggelwater" .Till now no reply's.

Hi...

Thank you. Smile

Just as a suggestion, I would edit your post to include the name "Puppy Linux" right before the word "Precise -5.7-retro.iso." It may be that not everyone on that forum automatically knows that Precise is a version of Puppy. Also, it might help to include the output of...

Code:
lspci -nnk

so that folks have a better idea of what hardware and drivers you're working with.

Last but not least, unless it is forbidden on that particular forum, create another post that just says "bump" to bring your thread at the very beginning again (at the top of the page.) A little persistence can't hurt. Wink

For anyone who is interested, here is a quick link to the discussion over at Skype. If you have an solution or an idea, I'm sure the OP would appreciate your help. Smile

Regards...
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug 2014, 18:13    Post_subject: DebianDog has deb package of working Skype
Sub_title: which does not require pulse audio sound installed

Toni (saintless) the team leader of DebianDog has sorted out the issues of using Skype version 4.2.0.11, which does not require pulse audio and should therefore sort out any sound issues (assuming normal alsa sound is operating correctly on your system). For that and other reasons, you might be better off using DebianDog, which looks and feels much like any traditional Puppy and is about the same download size (or slightly smaller than recent Pups).

One advantage of using DebianDog is that it is completely compatible with Debian so uses Debian package manager system with access to full Debian repository for all that distribution's well-tested applications. It can also load Puppy sfs files though. Like a traditional Puppy, DebianDog runs as root user by default but has the additional advantage that it is also capable of running fully multiuser, which also makes it easier to get some apps (which won't run as root) working. The DebianDog thread, with download links, is here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

Near the bottom of the above thread you will find the download link for DebianDog, which for the jwm (Joe's Window Manager) version is here:

http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm.iso

Best to read the whole of that first DebianDog thread post though, prior to installation. There is a utility for creating a usb bootable version provided in the DebianDog system.
-----

Toni's fixes for non-pulse-audio Skype are discussed in the following thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95202

William

I.Christiani

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug 2014, 21:18    Post_subject: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

Okee " Ardvark " , I posted a new post like you suggested. Lets see If there is somebody who has a solution .
I went in "here ' and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !
But thanks again for the great help.
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug 2014, 23:49    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

I.Christiani wrote:
and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !

Hi...

Just as another idea, it might be worth your while to replace your hard drive and put Puppy on it and hire a technician who is (very) proficient with Linux to work out the problems you're experiencing with Skype. Smile

Also, you misunderstood what I meant by providing the output of "lspci -nnk." You need to actually open a terminal, type in the command (it will give you a bunch of code,) and then copy and paste that information in your post at Skype. You just put in the command. Wink

An easy way to do that is to open the Puppy Package Manager, search for a program called "Sakura," install and use that as your terminal.

Regards...
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 04:19    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

I.Christiani wrote:
Okee " Ardvark " , I posted a new post like you suggested. Lets see If there is somebody who has a solution .
I went in "here ' and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !
But thanks again for the great help.

Hi again,

The following link provides sfs of previous Skype which does not need pulse audio and work fine on most Puppies:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=795755#795755

If you know how to load an sfs in your pup and adjust your normal alsa sound configuration (which you would always need to do anyway) then you will hopefully have no further problems if you use the sfs for the distribution you have.

Cheers, William

ardvark

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 17:02    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

mcewanw wrote:
The following link provides sfs of previous Skype which does not need pulse audio and work fine on most Puppies:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=795755#795755

Hi....

From what I understand, 4.2 no longer works with Skype itself, hence my previous instructions to I.Christiani to upgrade to 4.3. Please see here. Wink

Regards...
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 17:34    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

ardvark wrote:
From what I understand, 4.2 no longer works with Skype itself, hence my previous instructions to I.Christiani to upgrade to 4.3. Please see here. :wink:

Regards...

Hi ardvark, What you say is the case with the 'official' old 4.2, but the one from Toni and OscarTalks I provided the link to above has been specially patched so that it still works successfully with Skype. It doesn't need pulse audio, so sound should work too.

Toni, OscarTalks and others have put a lot of work into this because the pulse audio required by 4.3 has been causing a lot of problems for Puppy, and bloats its size.

Cheers, William

Edited_time_total
ardvark

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 17:42    Post_subject: Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?  

mcewanw wrote:
What you say is the case with the 'official' old 4.2, but the one from Toni and OscarTalks I mention above has been specially patched so that it still works successfully with Skype.

Toni has put a lot of work into this because the pulse audio required by 4.3 has been causing a lot of problems for Puppy, and bloats its size.

Ah, thank you, glad to see this. Smile

Perhaps this might make the difference for I.Christiani.

Regards...
I.Christiani

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:51    Post_subject: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite  

I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!!! It is way above my head again.
I tried all the suggested solutions and nothing works better than my old one.I even downloaded DebianDog but could not get it connected to the internet.I give up.
Skype is working fine as long as I do not use the video call.So I can see the other person but they can't see me.But we can talk and the sound is prima.I just give up because it is very time consuming. If I don't want to loose the status in our home I better start spending less time at the computer.I have almost every thing I need on the Precise.(google- chrome,google earth,my email and Skype without video call possibility for the other person.)If I need more I will try to get it installed with info from the Puppy Linux Discussion side.
Ardvark.To put a new hard drive in this computer is so expensive.For that money I almost have a new one.Only I do not have that money ,so that is why I try to do it with Precise Linux.I love the concept and please keep up the good work.Thank you for every thing .
I will always keep a eye out for the videocall /sound solution.
Thanks again , you all are very helpful .We need on this planet a lot more of you good people.
ardvark

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 23:33    Post_subject:  

You're welcome, best wishes to you and your family. Smile
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum