libfreerdp installed, now how do I use it?

Using applications, configuring, problems
uxhamby

libfreerdp installed, now how do I use it?

#1 Post by uxhamby »

Hi,

I need an 'RDP' connection to an XP box on my LAN so I searched the PPM for 'RDP' and found the 'libfreerdp' package, which I installed complete with all dependencies onto my live cd instance of puppy 5.4.3.

So far so good but I don't see how to start using it. I don't get any new 'Menu' items (despite at least 2 reboots) since the install. I have Googled around and read various help and man pages but none deign to convey such simplistic information as how to start the darned thing.

Could someone indulge me please?

Thanks,

Brian H.

neerajkolte

#2 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi uxhamby,

Packages names starting with lib generally install files with extension .so in /lib directory.
The /lib directory contains kernel modules and those shared library images (the C programming code library) needed to boot the system and run the commands in the root filesystem, ie. by binaries in /bin and /sbin. Libraries are readily identifiable through their filename extension of *.so. Windows equivalent to a shared library would be a DLL (dynamically linked library) file. They are essential for basic system functionality.

Softwares in linux are binaries in /bin or /sbin and need specific lib *.so files installed for proper working.

So it seems you have fullfilled a dependancy by installing lib package. Just now got to find proper software package that can use it.
Here my knowledge relating to your question ends.
Somebody with more knowledge will further guide you.

Edit: A quick google search for "rdp linux client" gave many programs like tsclient, krdc, realvnc, tigervnc and many more which use RDP ( Remote Desktop Protocol) to connect with windows. You might want to search their packages for your puppy.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

uxhamby

Thanks

#3 Post by uxhamby »

Hi Neeraj,

Thank you for your explanation, I will investigate along those lines.

Brian H.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Look here too Brian. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

You want puppy to be the client and Windows to be the server?

The program you are looking for is rdesktop. This is the console program, there are some gui front ends for it if you look.

For example:

http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... c36767d3c3