Precise doesn't work for eeepc? Keyboard problem SOLVED!

Booting, installing, newbie
eyesopen

Precise doesn't work for eeepc? Keyboard problem SOLVED!

#1 Post by eyesopen »

Well, so far so bad...followed download and install...keyboard is wrong...auto setting leaves #5 for I...can't get online, can't play music or stream...very disappointed. Running (or not) precise on asus 1005HAB...also running ubuntu 14.04 and elementary Luna...no probs with other distros. This is not yet ready for easy install and run at least not for me. Much hype about ease for newbies, but this is the first distro among 7 tried that I failed to install and run...WTF?
Last edited by eyesopen on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.

ardvark

Re: disappointed...will probably use other linux

#2 Post by ardvark »

eyesopen wrote:Well, so far so bad...followed download and install...keyboard is wrong...auto setting leaves #5 for I...can't get online, can't play music or stream...very disappointed. Running precise on asus 1005HAB...also running ubuntu 14.04 and elementary Luna...no probs with other distros.
Hi...

Welcome to the forum :)

Is this your system? If so, there is a version of Puppy that is designed for the Eee, you can download the .iso (for the atom processor) here. I'm not sure if it's currently being maintained but it might be worth a shot. :wink:

Please see here for the project's web page...

EDIT: If you have an Ubuntu One account, you can find a newer version of Puppeee posted by rokytnji here, along with other information. :)

Regards....
Last edited by ardvark on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 21:05, edited 3 times in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

neerajkolte

#3 Post by neerajkolte »

First of all Welcome brother,

Sorry to hear you have trouble.
I am a noob when it comes to computers be that windows or Linux.( I haven't yet used mac even once).
But I can assure you this is the friendliest forum I have came across.
Just wait some time, somebody will surely help you out.

I personally first tried Fatdog64, got hooked, been using it all these past 5 months.
Edit: oops @ardvark has replied while I was typing.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Don't waste your time. He vented and he's not coming back because he wasn't looking for help. :?

Well, thanks for the feedback anyway.

eyesopen

hmmm

#5 Post by eyesopen »

Well, Flash you are wrong. I have not left and I did come for help. Ubuntu One has closed shop...I'll look for other eeepc puppies. Now can anyone tell me how/why my keyboard got messed up? Or how to fix?

eyesopen

keyboard...

#6 Post by eyesopen »

@ardvark. Yes that is my system minus the windoze. I bought mine used with no OS ($100 delivered), put elementary OS Luna and ubuntu 14.04 on, added a gig of RAM and off we went...I am looking for a smaller, faster, less bloated Linux. I am hoping I can figure out the keyboard problem and learn enough to get Puppy configured to my liking. I apologize for venting but I had just spent several unfruitful hours downloading iso, burning to disc and saving to USB flash (which I seem to have flubbed as well). I discovered the keyboard mess up and could not get online or anything that needed typing...anyhoo, I am back and hoping I can get this figured out. I live aboard a small sailboat and do not have 24/7 internet...I use the local library or starbucks when the lib is closed...

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

You will, I hope, excuse our resident moderator (Flash) for being a mite bit cynical -- he's got to come around with the mop and the bucket whenever someone screws up, and (in all fairness) we do get a fair number of "puppy sux cuz [insert minor problem here] im never using it again!!1!!!!!!11!!" sorts of posts... of course by the time we offer help (usually fairly quickly, IMO) the person has already ragequit and never responds.

*ahem*

Sounds like numlock is on. That one tripped my Mom up a couple times in the past, by mistake (oops I pressed a key and I don't know what key and now the right half of my keyboard has gone all numbers!) until I clued her in... doesn't help that the EeePCs tend to leave off the keyboard LEDs (it's rather an irritation, isn't it!)...

Let's see... I have a 1000HE, so I can help, maybe.

If it's happening AFTER boot, there's a "Personalize Settings" wizard (may also be called "Firstrun Settings" or "QuickSetup") somewhere in the Menu that should be of assistance. Just uncheck the "Keyboard Numlock" box in there.

If you go CTRL+ALT+BKSP and it's still happening, or you get numbers at the boot: prompt (when booting from e.g. an external CD drive), when you should get letters, then it's a BIOS config thing. Press the power button, and then immediately begin jumping up and down on F2 rather rapidly until you see the BIOS setup screen (it should be blue with red and white text... like MS-DOS on a bad hair day ;) ). Then you get to noodle around until you find the right option to disable. That said, my 1000HE doesn't seem to have that option in the BIOS...

A note of advice -- most of the other EeePC-oriented Puppies are a little out-of-date, and have some internal stuff that means you can't run modern browsers on them. I can get a little more technical if that helps (and others can fill in the gaps I'll leave -- I'm no dev!); I don't know how much you know about Linux, though, and I don't want to bury you in jargon that you don't understand, so I'll leave that for later-if-you-ask.

IIRC, one of our fellow forum-members, sc0ttman, developed a one-off EeePC version of his primary Pup, Akita Linux -- you're looking for 'Akeeeta' -- but I've never used it, so I can't tell you if it's good or not, or if it will resolve any of your issues, or run modern browsers...

EDIT: Here's Akeeeta: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1684002157
Do note the issue he mentions about save-files.

To install (my instructions, not his) -- save the *.tar.gz (aka tarball) -- unarchive it in Terminal, to its own new folder (create folder, then put the tarball in the new folder, then in Terminal do tar -zxvf [file].tar.gz followed by a pound of the ENTER key, and you're all good). Copy the file over to a blank USB drive. Go to the Menu and find the Grub4DOS wizard -- check the boxes for 'single page menu' and 'search in only this device' after selecting the USB drive. Let Grub4DOS do its thing and (if you like) clean up the menu.lst file it generates -- I always remove the Windows, Partition Boot Sector, and Find Grub2 entries, as well as the "safe mode / no x" entry (I will never ever need that) -- but that step is up to you completely ;)

eyesopen

Than2s!...;:)

#8 Post by eyesopen »

@starhawk,

Thanks for the reply. Of course all is forgiven. I remember seeing something about 'numlock' during the setup, and I do not remember what I did, but it sounds like a plan...I don't have my optical drive and cd with me today (took a day off from frustration), so tomorrow I will follow your suggestions and see what tranpires. I'll report back. There were no windoze partition when I installed the Linux disros or at least they did not show up. Hmmm...numlock on...sounds about right. bless you, or something...

Regards,

eyesopen

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

No worries! My mother and her cat have about the same level of technical expertise, so I've plenty of experience handling and explaining minor computer maladies... ;)

I'm just glad that I could (hopefully) help :)

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

the eee version is dated but solid the atom version for my A1 made at the same time still has a home on mine. Hybernation works great ( goes weeks ) even when the battery has only about 20 mins capacity now. :(

ardvark

Re: keyboard...

#11 Post by ardvark »

eyesopen wrote:I apologize for venting but I had just spent several unfruitful hours downloading iso, burning to disc and saving to USB flash (which I seem to have flubbed as well).
Not a problem, I hope we can help you get it sorted out whichever version you decide to use. :)

Regards...

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

This is a bit dated now but quite brilliant in it's day.
Jemimah was a talented developer.

http://www.smokey01.com/jemimah/Puppeee1.0/

ThoriumBlvd

This works on an eeepc 900a

#13 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

There is another alternative that is nearly transparent.
Koulaxizis made a slacko-5.5 with LibreOffice 4.0 (successor to OpenOffice) that works very well OOB on my eeepc.

Really, if you own an eeepc you should try Puppy Slacko-5.5XL.

The iso is large at 630Mb, but it just works, and the keyboard and shortcuts are correct. Inflated size is about 2.2Gb (the same as good old Xandros), and this has a better kernal.

GL and happy puppying
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

eyesopen

music?...VLC?

#14 Post by eyesopen »

Hey All, playing with pupeee now...anyone know what version of vlc is needed? I don't know the basis for puppies/puplets and I can't get the qcine(?) to stream (no demuxer found). Thanks. I will be trying the slacko_5.5_XL soon...

solo

#15 Post by solo »

Here's a nice link to a software repository for Pupeee:

https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

I see VLC is in there as well.

btw, Precise Puppy 5.7.1 is working on my eeepc 4g without any problems.

eyesopen

thanks

#16 Post by eyesopen »

@solo,

thanks...

@everyone,

I think I found the original problem with my keyboard. I toggled the numlock on :roll: Thanks ardvark! This was with precise...so how do I mark that solved? Seems someone changed the original title...anyway I have a bunch of versions to play with and I'll see you all soon with more questions, no doubt...

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Heh heh, ardvark wasn't the only one in this thread ;) :P

Edit your first post, change the title so that it has [SOLVED] at the end (just like that), and when you hit the "Submit" button it will be changed :)

Glad we all could help... are you online now?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Eyesopen, you can edit your own posts. As starhawk suggests, please add (Solved) at the end, not the beginning, of the title. :)

I changed your original title to better reflect the subject of the thread.

eyesopen

editing...

#19 Post by eyesopen »

@starhawk and flash...editing done, thanks.(had to login first...duh)

I managed to mess up my internet (seamonkey) probably with firewall setting or something (precise)...hmmm, this is humbling to the max...back to the fun.

Yes, I am online now til 5:45 eastern when the library (my office) closes.

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

eyesopen, I assume you're on the East Coast of the US? I'm in NC, where are you?

More importantly, what's wrong with your 'Net?