Having trouble extracting a tar.gz file

Booting, installing, newbie
ex-para

Having trouble extracting a tar.gz file

#1 Post by ex-para »

I am trying to open pigeonplanner-2.2.1. tar.gz.

I have tried always to open a tar file using the extract and then I tried to do it with terminal but no success. The extract seemed to work but I could not open it. I could not figure terminal at all even after I worked out how to copy and paste in it. Any suggestions please?

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

tar -xf name-of-file
or, if you simply want to list the contents:
tar -tf name-of-file

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

I downloaded the tar.gz file to a handy folder [/mnt/home/00/pigeonplanner-2.2.1]...
Used Xfe to navigate to the file...
Right-clicked on it and chose "Extract to here...".
Got a system of folders and files as shown below.
I can browse through those folders to look at the files.
Easy peasy. :D
Attachments
00.jpg
(29.41 KiB) Downloaded 569 times

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Ex-Para.. Trouble with pkg extraction? Depending on the pup you run, Dons`RCO will be mighty handy!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

ex-para

Opening tar.gz files

#5 Post by ex-para »

Thanks for the replies and I tried everything but still no good and Sylvander I have everything you have shown me but no where click on and use the program. The terminal advice as sent by amigo would not work and I did do it properly. I have been around Linux since Hardy Herron the LTS one and I have a website I built and a server (nginx) running on a laptop so I am able to find my way around Linux a little bit and I have opened a tar ball in the past but this one has me beat. Puppy Slacko is what I am using on an Eee PC so I can easily carry it about. I have now deleted the program so I can re-install and maybe download what semme advises so i will see how I go.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Slacko? You should be fine..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sylvander

Re: Opening tar.gz files

#7 Post by Sylvander »

ex-para wrote:...Sylvander I have everything you have shown me but no where click on and use the program.
a. Do you mean that you have Xfe installed?
Do you use it as part of your routine?
Does it function normally?

b. Mine is to be found at "Menu->Filesystem->Xfe".
Or else I enter the command xfe at a terminal command prompt.
The executable file is at "/usr/bin/xfe" on my Slacko-5.7.0-pae.

amigo

#8 Post by amigo »

Post the output of the tar command, please. That will tell us more than any archiver or file manager will.

don570

#9 Post by don570 »

yes, try the terminal

Errors are logged in /var

ex-para

Opening tar.gz files

#10 Post by ex-para »

Thanks again for your help but I have installed the program in Ubuntu on a Notebook dual boot with Win7 as I need to have it working. I did re-install using UExtract that was in utility but I got back to the same thing, could not click on anything to let me use the program. Ubuntu was much the same to install but with an icon to click to open it. Nothing wrong with puppy just the operator needs to be puppy savvy.