Ted vs Abiword: which is better?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

Ted but im easily impressed by a good name... :D

Pelo

TED or Abiword : mon coeur balance

#22 Post by Pelo »

Ibidem says : "TED would probably be better to compare it to Leafpad or Geany rather than ABIWord. I would not use ABI or TED for any serious document work (i.e. writing a 100 pager) but I would use ABI Word hands down against most other word processor offerings (of its size, at least)."
Abiword can do much better, see here above screenshot. Abiword is convenant a majority des people at house.

Ibidem

Re: TED or Abiword : mon coeur balance

#23 Post by Ibidem »

Pelo wrote:Ibidem says : "TED would probably be better to compare it to Leafpad or Geany rather than ABIWord. I would not use ABI or TED for any serious document work (i.e. writing a 100 pager) but I would use ABI Word hands down against most other word processor offerings (of its size, at least)."
Abiword can do much better, see here above screenshot. Abiword is convenant a majority des people at house.
AHEM! That was slavvo67, not me.
I have never had good luck with Abiword--whether it's all the double-spacing suddenly deciding to go to the end of the file, leaving a 3-page double-spaced paper with 1.5 pages of type followed by 1.5 pages of whitespace; any coloring in a table changing to black type in a black field; or a number of other bugs that I don't recall at the moment. (And of course these always seem to interfere with some requirement on a project I have to do.)
OpenOffice.org 2.x (I think) on a 550Mhz Thinkpad with 384 megs of RAM was vastly preferable for utility; even with 128 megs I frequently found OOo to be better able to do what I needed to do (formatting papers correctly).

On the other hand, the first word processor I use for long papers is Ted. It's fast and I've found that virtually everything I throw at it gets a proper round-trip. It's the least likely to mess up the paper; I don't recall any crashes except (a) when I pressed "redo" too many times in 2.22 and (b) after inserting several ~1 magabyte pictures in an 11-page paper.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Current TED PETs around?

charlie6

Teds pet

#25 Post by charlie6 »

Hi gcmartin,
Current TED PETs around?
you may find one ...
..whether in Quirky6s repo:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... uirky6.pet
...or other compiles + how to get your locale in the nluug Teds repo:
http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/
...or also browsing among the whole download repos list here (especially at the bottom end ... :wink: ):
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/editors/ted/

I tried some of them on wheezy-3.5.2.11 and raring-3.9.9.2 ... without getting a segmentation fault --->seems to be distro independent ...but one never knows.

If needed, do not hesitate to compile it, as it is rather easy to compile (read infos on Mark de Does's Ted main page above. (I did it several times at the time its version upgraded to 2.23).

HTH Charlie
ps: daily using it (and loving its simplicity ...) since version 2.22 and 2.23 ... i really don't need more!
...Amazing..!: I keep updating a logbook.rtf document having 125 pages at now, with text and inserted images in it, that opens quite instantaneouly using Ted.

@Ibidem:
when having large images to be inserted, i use to reduce their weight using mtpaint:
1. using the Image/Scale change to ca. 1280x1750 (i.e. A4 format) or less;
2. when saving, choose jpeg format + reducing image quality to ca. 50% which also reduces the weight quite dramaticaly.

slavvo67

#26 Post by slavvo67 »

Remember that I said for its size. Hands down, I use LibreOffice for any real work. It's big, it's bulky, it's reliable! There's an Openoffice sfs file that's probably smaller and worth looking at. I've installed it but I haven't used it much.

Pelo

ted missing libs

#27 Post by Pelo »

ted missing libs
Those who want use TED can do it s they like. No need to compare with other text writer. Each customer can use as he likes, no ?
Ted not working at home. I would have taken a glance.
Laissez Abiword aux masses populaires. Leave Abiword in peace with its thousands of users. and leave it as default wordprocessor in Puppies. I have it with Windows 7 too.
popular succes does not prove one product is better, it proves it fits people needs.
Attachments
capture9092.png
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 931 times

gcmartin

#28 Post by gcmartin »

Does KATE edit word processing documents, too?
Comparison here.

slavvo67

#29 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi GC Martin:

I was going to explore Kate but decided against it when She had over 100 dependencies to install. Literally, the PPM had 11 tabs filled with dependencies so I decided to back away. Thank you for the suggestion, though. The article was enticing.

Best,

Slavvo67

wetterau

Ted

#30 Post by wetterau »

Hi, have used many word processors over the years and want to recommend Ted. The latest release 2.23 is excellent---fast, stable, all the core features: spell checking, image support, tables, font support, basic formatting, export to .ps, .pdf, .svg, .html, .txt, (default file type is .rtf). He, Mark, has improved the program steadily for years. Now it is really fine.
I would use Abiword only for converting .doc or .docx to .rtf for use with Ted and only if I had it installed. Other utilities can do this, too. Abiword works fine until it doesn't, which is all too often. Just my opinion.

Colonel Panic

Re: Ted

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

wetterau wrote:Hi, have used many word processors over the years and want to recommend Ted. The latest release 2.23 is excellent---fast, stable, all the core features: spell checking, image support, tables, font support, basic formatting, export to .ps, .pdf, .svg, .html, .txt, (default file type is .rtf). He, Mark, has improved the program steadily for years. Now it is really fine.

I would use Abiword only for converting .doc or .docx to .rtf for use with Ted and only if I had it installed. Other utilities can do this, too. Abiword works fine until it doesn't, which is all too often. Just my opinion.
I second this; having just installed Ted 2.23 in AntiX, I think it works just fine for producing basic documents such as letter writing.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

scientist

#32 Post by scientist »

disciple wrote:Word 97 doesn't open any docx files ;)
But there is a free converter program from Microsoft.
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

mikeslr

Neither -- use Focus writer

#33 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

In Tahrpup, Ted broke geany. Maybe it's possible to strip it of the conflicting libs. But I think a better choice is Focus Writer. You'll find some versions here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 941#896941.

It comes as a 2636K pet. You read that right: 2636 Kilobytes. Don't be intimidated by its appearance as a blank sheet of paper. Scroll to the top and a series of icon tools appear. Among those is one for changing preferences --such as adding a toggle-button to turn on/off bolding, and italics. And many others.

I set it to use RTF as the default save format. But, if I recall correctly, you can choose odt. Yes, it can do spell-check.

mikeslr

Ted Word Processor, 64-bit

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I decided to put together a version of Ted for 64-bit operating systems run for RAM-Challenged computers: a pet weighing in at 3272 Kb vs. an SFS, such as LibreOffice, at 205 Mbs. This proved so easy that there's no reason to publish it. Just download the ted-2.23-linux-amd64.tar.gz from here, https://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/, extract it, rename the extracted folder to your liking, then dir2pet or dir2sfs it.

As I ran ldd on its binary before building, I received a report of one missing lib: "libtiff.so.4 => /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.4". Bionicpup64 has libtiff.so.5.3.0 so --building an SFS-- I created a symbolic link (named libtiff.so.4) to it. That might not have been necessary.

Although it's GUI isn't flashy, the application, itself, is actually rather feature-rich: along with the things you'd expect --changing fonts, font-sizes and paragraph formatting, it can handle tables, footnotes and endnotes, and include images.

Unlike my prior experience, installation of the Ted pet did not break geany.
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 09 Jan 2020, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

B.K. Johnson

#35 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I used Ted eons ago, before Windows. Kinda curious to see its growth. Does Ted handle links/hypertext? It is this failure in AbiWord that turned me off. For a long time, I use Leafpad for simple text, Composer for everyday documents - HTML and LibreOffice for 'serious' documents required by WinPeople.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

mikeslr

#36 Post by mikeslr »

Does Ted handle hyperlinks? Yes. See Screen-shot. But I don't know how it works.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Menu listing for Insert Hyperlink
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

B.K. Johnson

#37 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks mikeslr
I'll check it out when I switch to my experimental upupbb
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

ozsouth

Ted-Netsurf 64 combo

#38 Post by ozsouth »

My 2.23 version of Ted has hyperlink option greyed out.

For those who want a light document editor & a light browser, I have a Ted-Netsurf combo as .sfs files for Bionicpup64 & ScPup64. Can be renamed & placed with puppy .sfs files to load on boot. Note: will displace defaultwordprocessor & defaultbrowser in /usr/local/bin. Tested OK with Bionicpup64-8.0 & ScPup64-19.09. Use at own risk.

Bionicpup64 version here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=043 ... 3348093621

ScPup64 updated version here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=995 ... 6415897833