I downloaded VLC tarball for Pupeee...now what?

Booting, installing, newbie
eyesopen

I downloaded VLC tarball for Pupeee...now what?

#1 Post by eyesopen »

Solo gave me a link to archive.org Pupeee files...Thanks. So I downloaded vlc tarball. OK, now what?

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

What is the full name of the tarball? (including suffix)

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Word! Whatever extension the hyper-link listed is what you rename your dwnld with, then clk.

And personally, I only recommend outdated pups as a *FINAL* resort.

Note Solos`closing comment..
Precise Puppy 5.7.1 is working on my eeepc 4g without any problems.
Fer shure what I'd try.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

eyesopen

tarball issue...

#4 Post by eyesopen »

Thanks all for the replies. Firstly I have used the Precise version from the get-go. I was using it earlier today. I cannot seem to get the default player to stream internet radio. I get a message something about not having a demuxer...The stream is an AAC 32 stream. I once got it to work during a previous session but I could not get it to remember the stream once shut down and reloaded. So, I tried to get vlc installed thru the PPM. That had issues with many dependencies not in cache, so I downloaded those and then...nothing. It did not install, or I could not find it in any directory I looked in...All I really need is an audio streamer that will play the stream and then remember it for future use.

I have tried the EeePC versions as they have the ASUS controls in them and since I bought my 1005HAB used with no OS, it seems the ASUS controls are no longer there. I tried to get them from ASUS, but the recognize my model as a WinXP model and will not give me updated bios and ASUS controls...It is a Linux only machine now, for better or worse. The fan control is what I need...

So, guys and gals, any thoughts?

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

The VLC tarball would have to be compiled.
In Precise you should be able to use my VLC 2.1.5 that I compiled in Wheezy.
The Gnome MPlayer should play audio streams and remember them, but sometimes it is not the best for this purpose.
Alternatives already in Puppy are pMusic and PupRadio/PupTelly
These should do the job fine.
Yet another idea would be to install my DeaDBeeF audio player.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

ardvark

Re: I downloaded VLC tarball for Pupeee...now what?

#6 Post by ardvark »

eyesopen wrote:So I downloaded vlc tarball. OK, now what?
Hi...

If you're using Precise, it would be a lot easier just installing it from the Puppy Package Manager! :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

solo

#7 Post by solo »

Ehm......tarball?!

No, wait, what you do is this. You download the following:

https://archive.org/download/PuppyLinux ... 5-i486.pet

Place this in a folder on the computer on which you have Puppee installed, or, if you downloaded it with the computer you have Puppee on, it will probably be in your 'Downloads' folder.
Go to the folder with ROX File Manager. Click on the file.

Done.
Last edited by solo on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

solo

#8 Post by solo »

And as an add-on:

Yes Precise Puppy works fine on my eeepc 4g, but I actually prefer running Puppee on it because of the hardware specific utilities it provides.