Installing Puppy linux on HP compaq

Booting, installing, newbie
drams1

Installing Puppy linux on HP compaq

#1 Post by drams1 »

I have HP Compaq desk top with AMD Athlon xp processor and 2 gb of memory on ASUS A7N8X-LA mother board. Purchased in 2004. I downloaded copy of Lucid Puppy linux 5.2.8 and burned into CD. When I loaded it stalled and would not boot. I then downloaded Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7. Also burned into cd and still could not boot. Is my computer too old?

I didn't really understand the errors the first time it saw on message that a sector could not be read. The second try I saw a panic error.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Your computer is not too old.

At the boot: prompt, type puppy pfix=ram (just like that) and tell us what happens.

Sector cannot be read... sounds like you need a new hard drive, but on the initial boot that shouldn't matter. The other error sounds like a kernel panic -- not sure what would cause that. Maybe echoes of the dying drive? Dunno.

Do you hear clicking noises when it tries to access the hard drive? ("Searching for Puppy files...")

drams1

#3 Post by drams1 »

I tried to type puppy-pfix+ram but key strokes were not recorded on screen.

Below boot:
on screen: load umlinuz... afer 30 or so seconds, got EDD:Error 8000 reading sector 80641 , then sector 81187,
Then uncompression error, system halted

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

Is there already any operating system on the hard drive? Has the drive shown any previous signs of failing?
What sort of keyboard is connected - PS2 or USB? As it appears not to function on first boot, have you tried the keyboard on another computer?
Is the memory working and well seated?
As for the boot disk. How did you burn it; using what program, on what operating system? Is this a normal CD, DVD or rewritable disc?
If there is a hint of a bad burn, and you are using Windows to create the disc, I'd suggest using BurnCDCC http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip
All these questions may or may not contribute to an answer.
PS. It's puppy pfix=ram NOT with a plus sign +

drams1

#5 Post by drams1 »

I have been trouble shooting this computer for a few days. I have installed a new hard drive which I thought was good and was able to install a fresh windows xp with difficulty because I get random blue screen errors that stops install. I have tested memory with memtest and disconnected everything and reconnected in attempt to determine any bad components.

Keyboard is PS2. I have tried booting on another computer that is running and could not get it to boot with Peggy Linux.

I burned to boot disc with NERO, Burn image to disk utility. I can try burning with program you suggested.

In my note to myself I did not have plus between puppy and pfix. Did not get character on screen so of course didn't enter.

I am new to Puppy Linux and someone has suggested that it could help me verify or perhaps find to cause of the blue screen errors. At this point I am not sure how but I am grasping and straws.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

That hard drive is burnt toast. If it's throwing sector read errors, it's shot.

Your keyboard also needs replacing.

Just curious, where are you located?

drams1

#7 Post by drams1 »

I burned image using cdcc as suggested and tried booting again with no success. Here is what I got on screen:
boot:
EDD: error 8000 reading sector 80541

Invalid or corrupt kernel image
boot:

Any other suggestions?

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

Try Boxpup 431.
That was my number-1 Puppy when I was using a HP Compaq desktop made about 2004.
It was a touch of class.
Oops, the ISO file is no longer available at that location.
I have the ISO file.
Will try to upload it here.
That failed. :cry:
OK, I've uploaded my copy of the file to a hosting site.
Get puppy-boxpup-431.iso here
Below is the md5sum of the ISO file here on my PC:
md5sum = 30cc7611479877a9c0317477764acaa7 puppy-boxpup-431.iso
The md5sum of the downloaded ISO file should be the same.
Make sure you burn the iso to the optical disk [CD-RW is good] as an IMAGE, not as a file.

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

Sylvander, et al, it's blindingly obvious --at least to me-- that he's not going to get a good boot until he cans that hard drive. It's messing up the whole process. He's also got to get another keyboard -- Puppy isn't that useful when you can't type!

drams1, can you please at least disconnect the power and data cables for that hard drive and try to boot without it? If that is successful, my next step would be to find a replacement for that keyboard. Again -- where do you live? (State/province and country, please. I don't need the whole address!)

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00006476

http://www.elhvb.com/ctechinfo/model/a7 ... lorer2.php

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... uct=364168

::::::::

I'd suggest using BurnCDCC

At no more than 32 speed....because >> HP Compaq put in the
cheapest rubbish burners in their PCs.

Used keyboards here in OZ can be purchased for $5.00

Sometimes new ones for the same price.

At least disconnect the hard drive.....
after removing the mains power cord from your pc.

Touch the side of the chassis...metal sides...
so that you have no static electricity moments.

Boxpup should be OK as well.

Welcome to Puppy.....Chris.

Galbi

#11 Post by Galbi »

A good alternative I used when my hard disk was planning to suicide, was to boot from a USB pendrive.

If the PC can't boot directly from USB, use PLOP from a CD or even a floppy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Boot-fr ... g-the-BIO/

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

Galbi, that won't make a difference here. His computer is trying to search the hard drive, which is totally fried, and when it gets back junk the boot process dies.

He has to physically disconnect the drive or he's SOL.

Galbi

#13 Post by Galbi »

starhawk wrote:Galbi, that won't make a difference here. His computer is trying to search the hard drive, which is totally fried, and when it gets back junk the boot process dies.

He has to physically disconnect the drive or he's SOL.
Yes, that is what I did.

I haven't pointed that but I disconnected HD power and booted from the pendrive (bah, first from PLOP)

I used the PC that way for several month, then in my e-trash I found a HD supposed to be died, but not it's still alive and kicking.

I have 3 pendrives and are all bootable (different Puppys), just in case... :)
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

Ah, OK. It's important to know that.

FeodorF

#15 Post by FeodorF »

drams1

#16 Post by drams1 »

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I have been away for about 6 hours because our power went out so I could not get online. It was just restored. Sorry I didn't complete my profile. I have added location of Bloomington IN.

I will disconnect the hard drive and try again. I think I have another keyboard I can use for testing.

The disc drive is a Sony DVD/RW that I used to burn the Puppy Linux.

Just to clarify, I am working with two different computers, one that I am trouble shooting which is a self built , with ASUS P4S800FX MB, with Pentium 4 hyper threading CPU. 1 GB of memory, Sony DVD/RW drive, and 200GB IBM Desk Star HDD (Which seems to be toast) I have 6GB HDD installed in attempt to install fresh Windows XP.

The other is the HP Compaq that I am using to burn the CD and communicate to this forum.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Ah... IBM DeskStar. AKA IBM DeathStar ;) for a reason! Junk that thing, it's definitely hosed.

Is the IBM hard drive IDE or SATA?

drams1

#18 Post by drams1 »

HD is IDE.

I disconnected the hard drive and tried booting again but no success. I got this message: ISO Linux 4.05 0X50328bd7 ETCDisolinux:Disc error 01, AX=4200 drive ff

Boot Failed

This is my last post tonight. I will be out tomorrow morning but will be back trying to figure this out in the afternoon.

Thanks for all your help.

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

*facepalm* don't throw away that HDD just yet.

...do you have a spare optical (CD/DVD) drive? If so, try it. If it doesn't work at first, burn a new CD with it, and try again. I recommend using ImgBurn, it's free and awesome. Until I went Puppy full-time, it was my burning software of choice.

For the rest of you -- I've had problems with those before, one example of which stands the test of time as the strangest issue I've ever had with a PC. It was a P3 Gateway box, with a CD-RW that was so screwed up it actually corrupted the CD I was trying to boot from -- I ended up replacing both CD and drive to make it work. I've heard that some early CD-RW drives had two lasers, one for read, one for write. The write laser must've been stuck 'on' and was writing garbage to the disc as it was being read...

Fossil

#20 Post by Fossil »

If you have physically disconnected the hard drive and there are still errors - one other thing stands out: Can you be 100 percent certain that the CD/DVD drive is working correctly? Bad burns, bad reads will also create a whole mess of problems. Try swapping the CD/DVD from one machine to the other. Confirm that it's functional.
And I still advocate BurnCDCC. It does just one thing - burn an ISO - nothing else. Also, burn very slowly. I'd never use a 32-speed burn. On older machines with a possibly dodgy CD drive that's just asking for problems.
Also, please swap out that keyboard.

@starhawk
I've heard that some early CD-RW drives had two lasers, one for read, one for write.
Correct. Sometimes the one laser would fail giving read-only. It happened to me.