ADSL USB modem Sagem F@st 800: I cannot connect to internet

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
zandarian

ADSL USB modem Sagem F@st 800: I cannot connect to internet

#1 Post by zandarian »

Hi. If I do what said in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=99211 I can use my ADSL USB modem Sagem F@st 800 to surf the WWW with other distros, but not with Puppy.

How can I make it work with Puppy, please?

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Does the information by Chmee here (fourth post down from the top) help? Because the thread was from 2008, you will need to hunt for the appropriate files elsewhere as the links he listed appear to be dead. You may also need different versions of the files he mentioned. Fair warning, it doesn't look like the process is that easy. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

yes some commands will change...eg no sudo on puppy...gedit would be a problem too. Someone more familiar may simply need to translate the technique. note sudo gedit could simply become geany for example.
Could try each command in turn and ask whenever it fails for specific help.

I had a speedtouch years ago...very similar...fortunately someone had made a script plus it built a driver for it.
I got banned when I complained that no one had helped...funny how times change :)

mike

zandarian

#4 Post by zandarian »

Thanks

Yes, I personalized the commands for Puppy, taking out sudo and changing gedit by vi, geany or leafpad. But it doesn't work: I cannot reach the Internet.

I saw the guide of 2008 of Chmee but seems to be a hard way ... More than 6 years later, there is not an easy procedure for Puppy?

I use Slacko 5.7.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

plugin pppoatm.so 8.35

hmm this seems to refer to a particular version.
Support for usb modems on linux outside of the US has always been poor and you may simply not have pppoa support in the puppy you have.
The line mentioned is a plugin for pppd from what I gather.... what error messages do you get if any?

mike

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

The kernel modules for your type of ADSL modem have never been enabled in the kernel configuration of any Puppy version, possibly because these drivers also require additional "PPP over ATM" network drivers.

But I provided both the modem and ATM drivers for Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2, available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 210#621210

Setup instructions were provided by forum member jaydee here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 473#621473

... and just to reiterate: the drivers I provided are ONLY compatible with Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2.

zandarian

#7 Post by zandarian »

Thanks

After executing ...

Code: Select all

pppd call ueagle-atm
... I got ...

Code: Select all

Plugin pppoatm.so loaded.
PPPoATM plugin_init
PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.35
What a pitty that those drivers are only compatible with Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2. Perhaps some day someone with enough knowledge and time can provide some for Slacko.

Regards

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

This looks very similar to what I needed for my speedtouch 330...indeed that's mentioned.... same drivers different settings maybe.

I just mention that cos I got the speedtouch driver script which built what I needed on puppy 2 (my introduction to linux )...I wonder if its still of use.
http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/
Just lobbing that one in... was 8 years ago I did all this as a noob so memory is rusty.

Otherwise the nice mister tempestouous might have sources for you :)

mike

ardvark

#9 Post by ardvark »

zandarian wrote:What a pitty that those drivers are only compatible with Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2. Perhaps some day someone with enough knowledge and time can provide some for Slacko.
Hi...

It might be worth checking out, though, especially if your ADSL modem is the primary way (or only way) you access the internet. :wink:

Regards...

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

Step back and look at the big picture:
these types of (ADSL) modems are obscure, as evidenced by the fact that in the 10 year history of Puppy Linux only a handful of people have ever asked about them. And these models are also quite old.
Little wonder that official Puppy releases don't support them. The same principle applies to RAID support, LVM support, etc.

The big question is: how important is this particular modem to you? Why not just go out and get a different model?
- if you choose a model with ethernet connection, rather than USB, NO DRIVERS will be required to connect to Puppy.
- newer models will support modern and faster connection standards (ADSL2, ADSL2+)
Such modems can be bought on eBay for next-to-nothing. Heck, I have a box of old computer equipment upstairs gathering dust, from which I could give you an old Netgear DM602 modem.

Then again, there may be some bizarre reason why you're locked into using that Sagem modem - maybe the internet service provider has added some form of hardware-lockdown?
In this scenario, you shouldn't be fussy about what version of Puppy to use, but aim for whatever Puppy release will support your hardware.

Why is it a problem to use Lucid as your main OS? Many people on this forum remain staunchly attached to this particular release, and ironically, when a new innovation or driver becomes available for the latest Slacko (or Precise) the Lucid users can get annoyed!
Wary? That release has a quasi-religious following.
People on this forum seem to get irrationally attached to one Puppy version or another.
Just go with what works ... or change your hardware.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Must comment that there were thousands...maybe millions of these modems around at the time...every isp (in Europe) was lobbing them out... what was obscure was puppies lack of support...all the big distros did and of course every version of windows...having one did stop me using linux for a year since no distro my machine could handle supported it. I did get help from elsewhere in the end to get it running on puppy and I was certainly not alone in needing this support. Interestingly enough it worked better on linux and I used to share the internet on the connected machine with the other one.

Yes routers are easy peasy... it does make sense to grab one if you can then yer distro can use its basic ethernet drivers
In my case I got a wired router for 50p plus post of ebay.

As for Lucid... building drivers is fun...

mike

zandarian

#12 Post by zandarian »

Thanks

I've tried to do what stated in http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/, without success: running ./speedtouchconf.sh it says that doesn't find gcc nor make, though PPM says I have them (I use a Live USB with Slacko 5.7). And in that page says:
copies of firmware files [...] could break your current modem
!!

Normally I use a Ehternet'ed modem/router, but I've been using again my old USB modem because my router seems not to be valid for Puppy Phone: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 418#796418

And I'm not very interested in PSIP. So for me it's not so important that with Slacko and the Sagem USB modem one can get the internet. But perhaps for someone could be useful some day ... Linux in general and light distros like Puppy in particular are good alternatives to make old computers (and peripherals) be able to work ...

In the past I've used other versions or flavours of Puppy. I don't update very often. When I do it I normally choose the most (newer) recommended (official/main) version of the download page (that's why now I use Slacko 5.7). The support for the desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) expired last year, in 2013, so this is one of the reasons because I left it (after that I used Precise and now Slacko 5.7). Perhaps in Puppy this doesn't matter, but I'm more used to other distros (though I've been using Puppy for some years already).

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

zandarian wrote:running ./speedtouchconf.sh it says that doesn't find gcc nor make,
Then you haven't installed (or enabled) the devx sfs file ...
but there's a bigger issue -
zandarian wrote:I've tried to do what stated in http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/, without success
There's no chance of success. Those instructions are very old, and apply only to kernel versions up to 2.6.10 - in Puppyspeak this means Puppy versions no higher than 2.01, from 2006 !!!

For modern kernels, the correct drivers and correct processes are listed in my previous post.

zandarian

#14 Post by zandarian »

Thanks

Finally I can connect to my VoIP account using Puppy Phone and my residential gateway. But I get no sound. Details in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 672#797672

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Was only a shot in thee dark

Actually tempestuous it was your regression 2.02 with its 2.6.16.7 kernel so I guess the script was more flexible than it claimed.

mike