How to defend your privacy online

For discussions about security.
James C

#1 Post by James C »

MARCH 9, 2014, 6:30 PM|If this week's "60 Minutes" story made you want to throw the data brokers and ad trackers off your trail, here’s how you can lead a more private life online
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-to-de ... cy-online/

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Meet the shadowy tech brokers that deliver your data to the NSA
Summary: These so-called "trusted third-parties" may be the most important tech companies you've never heard of. ZDNet reveals how these companies work as middlemen or "brokers" of customer data between ISPs and phone companies, and the U.S. government.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

The information presented here is accurate. Should you, now or have ever, set an ID and password for ANYTHING, WE are already known. This information in this thread shows us how it is gathered commercially, and how THEY harvest it.

Network breaches at corporations and businesses might just be done by data brokers or "data broker wannabees", not done for any criminal purposes.

Lets look at the world as it exist. Lets envision what we need to say and do with the policy makers to change the landscape. Most times though we are too afraid. Don't be.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I think the real problem are the credit cards frauds. When you go online you go public like when you go to your town square. But I can't use my credit card for online shopping. I have a rechargeable one with little money on it: I was stolen several times even for small amounts.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

There is a difference between a credit card and a debit card, which is what a prepaid credit card really is. For one thing, banks charge more fees when you use a debit card. For another, at least in the U.S., by law you're only liable for a maximum of $50 if someone steals your credit card, no matter how much they manage to charge to it. If they steal your debit card, they can clean out the cash in the account and usually you don't get it back. Sometimes, out of the goodness of its heart, a bank will reimburse you, but you have to be very convincing.

Barkin

Re: How to defend your privacy online

#6 Post by Barkin »

James C wrote:How to defend your privacy online
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-to-de ... cy-online/
Thanks for that link, I just had a go with the browser they suggested "WhiteHat aviator".
Unfortunately aviator is Windows & Mac only, if that ever becomes available on Linux that would be very secure.

[ If you are giving it a shot I would suggest adding AddBlockPlus to it ].

prehistoric

Skype "Click to Call"

#7 Post by prehistoric »

I'm sufficiently outraged by another discovery to start a new topic. Have you noticed what M$ is attempting to pull off with Skype? While I'm sure their primary motivation is commercial advantage, does anyone doubt they have close ties to those who monitor Internet activity?