Ninjam online musical jam software

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

Ninjam online musical jam software

#1 Post by greengeek »

I am investigating methods by which two people in different locations can share audio streams for the purposes of sharing a musical jamming session (or maybe even other audio purposes like conferencing or event broadcasting).

Ninjam seems to be one method to achieve this, but I don't know the right way to compile. Any suggestions gratefully received. i plan to use it with Slacko 5.6

Ninjam here:
http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

I have been looking at a Puppy application compiling tutorial here and it suggests that I should use the command:

Code: Select all

# ./configure
from a terminal opened inside the extracted source directory - which implies there should be a file called "configure" inside that directory.

However, when I download the ninjam client source from the link in the first post I do not see any file called "configure" - and of course the error message tells me that it can't find it either.
Is this the wrong method to compile ninjam? Are there other methods?

EDIT - Ok, I think I may have got it sorted - the ninjam source directory also contained a directory /ninjam/cursesclient which contained a "Makefile" and a textfile called "Compiling" - which contained a note to use the "make" command, so I opened a terminal in that directory and typed 'make' and it seems to have produced a file called cninjam. I put this in /usr/bin and i can run it in a terminal. It asks me for a host to connect to. So far so good, at least for the client.

EDIT2 - Ok, the same process seems to work for the server source. i now have a file called ninjamsrv which I have put in /usr/bin. When I run it i get the following:

Code: Select all

# ninjamsrv
Usage: NINJAMserver config.cfg [options]
Options (override config file):
  -pidfile <filename.pid>
  -logfile <filename.log>
  -archive <path_to_archive>
  -port <port>
  -setuid <uid>
# 
Now time to read the manual :-)

EDIT3 - the 'compiling' text file also said to "install libogg, libvorbis, libasound" before doing the 'make' and I haven't checked if I have those libs so better do that in case it alters the outcome of the 'make'...

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

As an aside - ninjam seems to have evolved into "wahjam" and then into "jammr" available here

Smithy

#4 Post by Smithy »

Good luck with it Greengeek.

Could be a handy little unit to communicate, You could be a pioneer of this :)

Do both ends need Reaper?

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Ninjam seems to be a standalone - but allows connection with reaper if required. Didn't try wahjam yet (want to understand ninjam better first). Not so sure about what jammr needs - I tried to get it going on Puppy but it seems to need some very recent Qt5 files and I eneded up with a Qt/GlibC mismatch so I didnt succeed in getting to first base really. According to the website it needs Ubuntu 13.04+ so I may give that a try just to evaluate the jammr functionality then evaluate the possibility of porting to puppy.

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

Oh yeah, just read they (ninjam) are standalone. That should make it simpler to try out.
One could link in Jack as an option later.

If you could do server and client pets at some point when you are happy with the functionality, it would be good to do some trials.

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Excellent, thanks for volunteering as a communications guinea pig! :-)

I will keep working to get ninjam working within my home LAN and post back when I think I'm ready to test in the outside world.
cheers!

ps: The 'make' run within the deepest client directory did give me a working terminal version of the client, but the images I found on the internet suggest there should be a working gui, so I have obviously not done the whole job properly. The top level client directories (which look like they may contain the gui defintions) appear to have not been included in the 'make'.

I don't think this is a showstopper - I think I should still be able to set the client and server up without a gui, but I'm still keen for an experienced eye to look at ninjam and suggest 'normal' ways to compile this correctly.

Smithy

#8 Post by Smithy »

No problem, I will transmit a bit of bass guitar or something, to test what's going on. Could do with the bling GUI tho! Level meters and all that.

adi

waiting for iso

#9 Post by adi »

I installed jammr in windows but I couldn't find anyone on line. I try to learn ukulele and recorder an it's nice to have this kind software in a pet for puppy. If you can make such a pet or isos please let me know!