Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 06:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
QEMU Launcher + 32 bit QEMU pet and sfs
Page 8 of 10 [147 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 04:40    Post subject:  

Well I was basically mentioning that I am not in the best position to support this.

I have an atom machine...I can run lighthouse and build the 64 bit version but not test KVM....but that macine is normally the one my partner uses.
I can build the 32 bit but the lenovo needs a bios flash for KVM so again cannot test it.

Even the gui needs a little second guessing for the above reasons.

mike
stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 16:17    Post subject:  

You enjoy a challenge!!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 09:51    Post subject:  

BTW for QEMU, version 2.1 is available since month's beginning. Also, version 2.0.2

@MikeB - (I ask because I do NOT have a PC that does NOT have KVM acceleration feature)
Does the Launch utility checkbox for KVM feature, tell the user it is missing should they try to execute the Launcher with the KVM box checked?

Curious

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 15:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
Does the Launch utility checkbox for KVM feature, tell the user it is missing should they try to execute the Launcher with the KVM box checked?

The arrangement is that the checkbox ONLY appears if KVM is available ... so it's only giving the option of what is actually possible if that makes sense.

Quote:
You enjoy a challenge!!

The last person that said that to me I made sure I never did any work for him again.
It tended to imply 'here is something everyone else has had a go at trying to sort and made a mess off so now you can sort it out usually for not enough money' Very Happy

mike
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 15:37    Post subject:  

Thanks @MikeB. Excellent, as I remembered you did take KVM implentation into account with the Launcher utility. EXCELLENT!
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2014, 07:25    Post subject:  

This is cool. But if I may suggest - would you be able to "save" the settings as named VMs?

I'm hoping to see something like this:
1. First launch - list of saved VMs, showing one-line summary:
- cpu/ram/storage/kvm enabled?/stopped/running.
Action buttons: add/edit/delete/start/stop selected VM, and of course "exit" button.

The status will be updated as one start/stop/add/delete/VM.

2. When on click add or edit button, then the "edit VM" screen shows, which is you already have here. Perhaps add options about port-forwarding.

This would give VirtualBox a run for its money!

mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug 2014, 15:42    Post subject:  

Well QEMU is not as farty arsed as Virtual Box...that's one of its attractions so I don't see a reason to introduce such complexity really..... pick an iso or an already made image and yer running...or is that too simple for today's geeks Very Happy

mike
zigbert

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep 2014, 12:33    Post subject:  

When I press the 'Run qemu' button, nothing happens, but I get the error
Code:
# qemu_gui
debug: qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -m 512 -hda /mnt/sdb1/tmp/qemu.img -hdb /dev/null -cdrom /mnt/sdb1/puppy/iso/slacko64-5.9.1.iso -smp 1
qemu-system-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libbluetooth.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Do I need libbluetooth.so.3 to get this going?
I can't find any libbluetooth in my system.
I am running Slacko 5.7

Sigmund
forum.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  forum.png 
Filesize  23.96 KB 
Downloaded  340 Time(s) 

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep 2014, 19:03    Post subject:  

If you are referring to the 32 bit version from here then it was built on Lucid which appears to have libbluetooth and I guess the configure pulled it in automatically as I never chose it specifically making it a dependency.

I don't see anything else that slacko may not have apart from a gnutls disagreement

Mike
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep 2014, 23:39    Post subject:  

@Zigbert, you might consider adding a bit more RAM in the GUI to run your ISO.

In case no one noticed, @Zigbert is showing how to boot a 64bit ISO in a VIRTUAL 64bit configuration on a 32bit PC. Clever!

The ONLY idea that I have to offer, in doing so, is that you "may" want to insure your 32bit PC has the virtualization feature that accelerates the virtual configuration to nearly the native speed of the processor. If your PC has the feature, you will see it on the GUI screen. Also, REMEMBER, the Launcher GUI is configuring a Virtual PC's hardware that the distro/ISO/Image is to operate in.

If you are unsure how to, otherwise, determine if your PC has the feature, see this easy to follow post.

Hope this helps.

step

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 10:16    Post subject: getting alsa audio to work in the VM  

So, on FD 700 with qemu 2.1.0 I can get alsa audio working in the guest OS (VM) this way:
Code:

# export QEMU_SOUND_DRV=alsa
# qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -m 512 -enable-kvm -hda /dev/null -hdb /dev/null -cdrom /mnt/sda5/file/VM/fluxpup-1.5.1.iso -smp 1 -soundhw hda

On a dual core Intel Core2 duo laptop the welcome bark bark spikes CPU usage to 70% (fluxpup 1.5.1 iso image).

The same hardware but running precise-Csipesz (aug14 iso image) is better; CPU ~15-20% playing a wav file, and at 20% live streaming internet radio (precise-Csipesz is loaded with playlists).

So if you start the front-end gui from the command line (or a script) and add -soundhw hda in the additional parameters field, you should have sound enabled. Here's an example with precise-Csipesz
Code:

# QEMU_SOUND_DRV=alsa qemn_gui
debug: qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -m 512 -enable-kvm -hda /dev/null -hdb /dev/null -cdrom /mnt/sda5/file/VM/precise-571RetroCsipeszPupV5EngHun2014Aug.iso -smp 1 -soundhw hda

Don't forget to add -soundhw hda.

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:39    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info step Smile

I read hda as a hard drive then realised its something like HD audio or the intel stuff.

Hmm I am guessing there is overhead if this option is enabled but not actually required but I am also guessing that adding the QEMU_SOUND_DRV=alsa by itself may not...ie it could be made permanent with no detriment to users not needing sound...is this a decent bit of guesswork on my behalf? In which case the option is simply up to the user via the additional parameters without having to resort to the command line.

mike
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep 2014, 21:47    Post subject:  

Thanks for the insight @Step.
I like where you're going with this @MikeB. This has useful value and add ease of use with a visual option for the Virtual PC defined by the Launcher..

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 04:25    Post subject:  

I also notice OSS, SDL and WAV audio options...more to play with...literally.

Mike
step

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 09:17    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
I am also guessing that adding the QEMU_SOUND_DRV=alsa by itself may not...ie it could be made permanent with no detriment to users not needing sound...is this a decent bit of guesswork on my behalf? In which case the option is simply up to the user via the additional parameters without having to resort to the command line.

mike
I think you guessed right. Qemu_gui could set QEMU_SOUCE_DRV=alsa and leave it to the user to add additional parameters to effectively enable HD audio (perhaps a tool tip could remind of which parameters).
Page 8 of 10 [147 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: