Which video editor is the best for me? (Solved)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
linus.cl

Which video editor is the best for me? (Solved)

#1 Post by linus.cl »

Hello!

I've tried many video editors, but noone convinced me... :(
My system: Slacko Puppy 5.7

These video editor have I tried:

Cinelerra: Crash after loading video.

Flowblade: Too small screen.. (I'm using a laptop)

Openshot: mlt-Framework error

Kdenlive: Too many depencies. (kde)

Pitivi: Too many depencies and lost packages.

Kino: Too old and too many shared libraries failed.

Lives: make error:

Code: Select all

make[1]: *** [colourspace.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/lives-2.2.6/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Is there a good video editor for me??
Last edited by linus.cl on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 15:37, edited 2 times in total.

davids45

Avidemux

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day linus.cl,

I use Avidemux2 for editing converted video files. It can be a little tricky to start - I have to sometimes drag the avidemux window a little to get it to display a freshly loaded file correctly so I can see the various editing buttons at the bottom of the Avidemux window.

Here's a link to the "all-in-one" .pet I have:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 87&t=46221

Search the Forum ('avidemux') for many other .pet or .sfs choices.

Settings for the out-put file are very critical to the end result. Test your set-up by creating first a very short edited file. Click the 'Save' button to create the edited test file.

I also get warning boxes about the file's sound not being recognised/initialised by Avidemux when starting an edit, but the edited (saved) file often has the sound-track :shock: .

As you have found, video editing software can be very complex, troublesome and annoying.

David S.

linus.cl

#3 Post by linus.cl »

I've heard Blender is (also) a good video editor.

Can somebody tell me, how to use the blender video editing functions?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

As it all depends on what'choo wanna do, that's too general a question to have answered.

Aside from their wiki, it's the video toots that'll get'cha there the fastest.

http://straightedgelinux.com/blog/howto ... index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEOsF4YSXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3WFOdWIYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKHh0H8QIo
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

linus.cl

#5 Post by linus.cl »

Thank you for the great link!

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

You manage to get Blender running on Slacko?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

linus.cl

#7 Post by linus.cl »

My blender on Slacko is running yet.

mikeslr

Which video editor for Slacko 5.7 on a netbook

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi linus.cl,

Battleshooter's openshot-1.4.2.sfs, although built for Saluki, runs fine under Slacko 5.7. You can find it here. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 320#663320 I don't experience a mlt-Framework error. Perhaps that's because either I'm using the older* 1.4.2 openshot, or because I also loaded Battleshooter's Kdenlive-0.9.2 for Saluki and its required KDE_Basic-4.8.sfs. Both available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 307#663307 You could try loading jus the openshot sfs, starting it from the terminal and seeing if any important libraries are missing. Important means without it some module you need won't function. Not being able to do something you weren't going to do anyway isn't important.

Running Slacko 5.7, I have not experienced the pmount/drive-icon problem I discussed when running 5.6 and using the Openbox window manager. See my posts starting here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 196#753196 and continuing to the next page, even though I also use Openbox in Slacko 5.7.

Although overall I think Flowblade is the best video editor currently available, there are dependency problems under Slacko, And with the small screen of a net/notebook, perhaps Openshot is the best choice. I'd recommend Avidemux for cutting and trimming, then use Openshot for assembling.

mikeslr

* Older & Better: I'm sure that the devs who improved 1.4.2 and gave us the newer 1.4.3 created a generally better app. But from a practical standpoint an older version which works on your system is better than a newer version which doesn't. One of the advantages of SFSes over pets is the ease with which you can test one version and, if it doesn't work, test another. With so many variables under Linux, trial and error often is the only way to proceed. But, plugging keywords into http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html can be helpful.

linus.cl

#9 Post by linus.cl »

It isn't working for me:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# openshot

------------------------- ERROR 1 ------------------------------
Failed to import 'from openshot import main'
Error Message: No module named openshot
----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------- ERROR 2 ------------------------------
Failed to import 'from openshot.openshot import main'
Error Message: No module named openshot.openshot
----------------------------------------------------------------

OpenShot has failed to import some of the Python files or libraries 
required for our application to run.  Here are some trouble shooting
tips:

Tip 1) Check if MLT can be successfully imported in Python.  Run the 
 following commands, and see if any errors are displayed.  If you get 
 an error, you need to investigate the correct way to install MLT.
 NOTE:  Do not type the $ or >> characters in the examples below.

$ python
       >> import mlt
       >> mlt.Factory().init()

Tip 2) If MLT is working from the first example, then the next tip is 
 to look at the above error messages very closely, and google for more 
 help.  It's likely the problem is already reported, and maybe there is
 a simple work-around.  Also, you can search for bugs or report a new 
 bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/openshot.  Good luck!

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

@davids45 re avidemux.
you can set view size for the movie to 2:1 from the menu...makes those super big ones fit on the screen nicely.
Also check preferences to set video output to xv then it plays/scrolls much more like such as vlc. Sound thats not handled would still get added if only using 'copy' for the codec :)

great program...used it for years for all sorts.

For fancy editing...eg transitions/effects/titles I use windows programs.
Also virtualdub on wine handles broken avi well when others fail...just make sure you don't use its direct x output.

mike

mikeslr

Regarding Openshot Saluki SFS

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi linus.cl,

Ditto what mikeb said. I only regret that cutassistant doesn't run under wine. Cutassistant is a GUI+ which uses VirtualDub as a backend. Rather than having to cut out and create separate vids of each portion of a source video, it creates a "play-list" of those sections and generates one vid of just those sections; or alternatively deletes the unwanted sections. The new vid doesn't overwrite the old.
I don't know why your openshot isn't finding the modules it needs. There are several possibilities. I doubt it's a hardware problem as I have basically the same setup running on two distinctly different computers. I've attached a snapshot showing both the pets and sfses I have installed/loaded into Slacko 5.7 on my desktop. My best guess is that in your overall setup the python modules in your "merge-file" end up in the wrong place for openshot. Puppy runs in memory, which means that it loads the SFS which was part of your virgin installation into memory, the SaveFile with its installed pets into memory, and the SFSes you load into memory. I forget the order in which they are loaded. But the files loaded later will overwrite "in memory" the files loaded earlier; and the links to files and folders loaded later will overwrite those loaded earlier.
Other than LibreOffice, none of the pets I've installed contain a version of python; and LibreOffice segregates its version into /opt/libreoffice and is built to use that (rather than any version in /usr) so that it doesn't create a conflict with other applications. Regarding the SFSes I've loaded, you'll note one is named openshot-saluki-1.4.2. My recollection was that I had converted a Saluki pet to an SFS. But I see that Battleshooter created an SFS. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 320#663320. So maybe I just downloaded that one. My memory isn't what it used to be; and never was particularly good with details. The "saluki" in the name is, however, a result of renaming --right-click, rename-- to distinguish it from other openshot SFSes on /mnt/home. But you'll also notice that I have KDE-Basic (required by Kdenlive) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 307#663307 loaded. As my Slacko 5.7 setup was based on what I had under Slacko 5.6, I didn't try running openshot before all my SFSes had been loaded. I don't know which version of python, if any, Battleshooter used in building that KDE-Basic or Kdenlive. Maybe 4.8???
What I'll do is move my current SaveFile to a protected folder, and see what happens when load Battleshooter's Openshot.sfs into a new setup, and try to run it.
By the way, despite that I have the kdenlive sfses loaded, I never use them. I just like to experiment and see what works. Same goes for the Cinelerra SFS. My desktop has 4 gbs of RAM. Loaded, but not running, SFSes uses little of that. And even the 137 Mb of harddrive occupied by the KDE-Basic.SFS is insignificant with multi-gigabytes of storage in my /home partition.
I do use the Openshot/Avidemux combination. But as I actually use several other XP programs running under wine, the version I use is the portable Avidemux for XP.

mikesLr
Attachments
Slacko57Additions.png
My Current Slacko 5.7 pets and SFSes
(133.33 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

Pelo

Avidemux for 90% of the job

#12 Post by Pelo »

Bien content meeting video fans. I use avidemux as scissors and glue.
Openshot works on Tooppy Linux and Pupjibaro.
My prefered to decorate is Windows Live Media Creator.
Youtube offers simple videos tools, which are enough for me. (music, titles, comments)
you are welcome, nice to meet some users on Puppy Linux. :)

mikeslr

Battleshooter's openshot-1.4.2.sfs does work in Slacko5.7

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again linus.cl,

Booted into Slacko 5.7 without a SaveFile. Setup internet connection and rebooted creating a SaveFile. Did NOT load anything via the bootmanager. Rather, clicked "cancel" and then used menu>Setup>SFS-load on the fly to load Battleshooter's Openshot-1,4,2.sfs [renamed it Openshot-Battleshooter-1.4.2.sfs while downloading to /mnt/home to avoid confusion]. This was the only SFS I loaded and I did not install any pets until later. The attached photo shows the results of opening it via terminal (built in urxvt terminal emulator). [Thought I'd have to copy terminal output into geany to display the same and I don't know how to copy/paste from urxvt, I then installed lxterminal --a saluki pet I've stored on my hard drive, and reopened openshot.
Terminal imput, merely typed openshot. The same complaints appeared, but as you can see, openshot opened and I was able to load and play files having the following formats: flv, mpg, mp4 and avi. I did not try editing them.
So you don't need the Kdenlive stuff.
Suggest you start with a fresh SaveFile. Download Battleshooter's SFS using the link in my prior post and load it as your first SFS using SFS-Load on the fly. Let us know if it still refuses to run. If it runs, reboot either into a different Pup or Slacko 5.7 without a SaveFile* and make a backup copy of your SaveFile. How I do that is to create a folder named "protect" and drag>copy the SaveFile into it. It won't accurately copy while it's in use. Puppy will offer the choice of loading any SaveFile at the top of all partitions or within folders at that level. If you don't want to have to make that choice on each bootup, the "protect" folder has to be at least two levels lower than the top of all partitions. My protect folder is at sda2/slacko/protect: within my slacko folder on the second partition of sda drive; and, therefore, two levels below the top of sda2.

Thereafter, you can use the active SaveFile while loading other SFSes and installing other pets. If you run into a conflict between applications, you boot into a different OS or Slacko without a SaveFile, and copy the protected SaveFile back into the active position.

* I assume you're using Grub4dos as your bootloader. If not, install it from menu>system. Once installed you can easily edit it. For example, if you do not have another operating system, or there isn't a menu entry for booting into Slacko without loading the SaveFile, just open menu.lst in geany and edit it. The relevant portion of my menu list reads as follows:

title Slacko 5.7 (sdb2/slacko)
uuid bf2b0f37-69b6-4c47-be62-ffb16dad149f
kernel /slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=slacko pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /slacko/initrd.gz

title Slacko 5.7 SAFE (sdb2/slacko)
uuid bf2b0f37-69b6-4c47-be62-ffb16dad149f
kernel /slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=slacko pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck,ram
initrd /slacko/initrd.gz

Note the ",ram" addition to the "SAFE" listing.

If you run into applications which conflict, and sometime need one and sometimes the other conflicting applications, you can boot into the SAFE version, create a new SaveFile with a unique name including one of the conflicting applications but not the other. On bootup, Puppy will offer you the choice of booting any relevant SaveFile. By giving each an appropriate name, you can choose which set of applications you boot into. Or, of course, if Openshot conflicts with something else you need, and it is in SFS format, you can load/unload on-the-fly as needed. RSH's PaDS pet, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 359#658359 makes it easy to convert pets into SFSes. It also makes it easy to combine two or more pets into one SFS.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you still can't get openshot to run.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Possible Alternative: Shotcut for Windows in Portable Wine

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again,

A possible alternative for use with limited screen space is Shotcut. (Note the absense of an "r"). Kirk and James Bond included it in a previous version of FatDog64, which brought it to my attention. If you google it, you'll find displays which look "busy", but in actuality the view menu enables you to show only the tools you need to have showing so that the preview area is rather acceptable.
I didn't have any luck trying to build a workable Shotcut from scratch, but as I use other XP programs under wine, I installed the XP version, available here http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/Download into shinobar's Wine Portable. On its thread, shinobar explained how to call installed programs.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 667#763667. This is the script I use, after renaming the decompressed Portable Wine folder just "wine-portable-1.6.2-2"
Code:
#!/bin/sh
wine.sh /mnt/home/wine-portable-1.6.2-2/wine-data/drive_c/'Program Files'/Shotcut/shotcut.exe

Once you have a script in /root/my-applications/bin, you can add an icon to /usr/share/pixmaps and a desktop file to /usr/share/applications, which desktop file creates a menu entry displaying the icon and calls the script.
For more detailed information regarding creating menu entries for external apps and programs running under wine, see: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 532#507532 and the rest of that thread. But note, if you're using Portable Wine, rather than an installed pet or loaded SFS, the Bash command must be wine.sh rather than wine. See shinobar's explanation.
Trying to install Shotcut on /mnt/home in its own folder resulted in it being unable to find some of its necessary modules and run. [But I thought I had it working that way before I switched to Wine Portable, as such folder is still on my drive].
I'm not certain that Shotcut for XP is still being developed. But the version available via download does work. And as it runs under wine, the species of Puppy you run is irrelevant.

mikesLr

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Hi mikesir...I have used the cut/paste/delete options of avidemux for chopping around videos....worked nicely.

mike

linus.cl

#16 Post by linus.cl »

Thank you. I'll try it soon! :D