Slacko 5.7 - March 2014

Please post any bugs you have found
l0wt3ch

#241 Post by l0wt3ch »

I had posted DISTRO_SPECS and PUPSTATE here, but doesn't matter now. :)
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 16 Aug 2014, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#242 Post by 01micko »

Make a smallish save, reboot then run the resize. Post the contents of pupsaveresizenew.txt in the root of the home partition, if it gets created.

EDIT: did you base this on slacko-5.5? (as seen in the DISTRO_SPECS). If so you will need to hack the init script for support of the new way we are increasing savefile space. It addresses an old bug where the next puppy booted got the treatment, bad if you run multiple pups.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

l0wt3ch

#243 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ok this was my fault.

Sorry for posting this here. I had asked 01micko about it, thinking it was a bug in Slacko 5.7, so he told me to post here, but it was really a bug in Studio 13.37.

Whoops! Again, my apologies.

l0wt3ch

#244 Post by l0wt3ch »

I've fixed the issue. Re-download it tomorrow, and it should be good.

Bonus: New kernel!

stemsee

#245 Post by stemsee »

RSH wrote:Don't use save files, store data outside the Puppy file system and use symbolic links to these stored directories and/or files.

Will increase your room to work extensively. :wink:
I never thought of that! Another save to directory option via savefile symlinks - opens a whole new world of possibilities! Only downside is the symlinked dirs cannot get copied to ram!

Should be another thread!

Moat

#246 Post by Moat »

stemsee wrote: Should be another thread!
It is! :wink:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110

Bob

ciento

#247 Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch wrote:I've fixed the issue. Re-download it tomorrow, and it should be good.

Bonus: New kernel!
Can this be fixed without the whole download?
Text edits, installing new file(s) etc?
Cheers

l0wt3ch

#248 Post by l0wt3ch »

I edited the initrd, so no, probably not.

Also upgraded the modules contained therein.

ciento

#249 Post by ciento »

I'll get one of the kids to download.
I put the leetsave file on an ssd,
and after linking 15 gigs of folders (.wine, /home/me/Documents,
hydrogen, and zynaddsubfx) I had a nice session going.

Reaper running a modeled guitar plugin, into Guitar Rig 5
Hydrogen playing a 16-part beat
zynaddsubfx doing an ambient Space Choir preset,
and all of them routed to rakarrack, and recorded
with timemachine, then edited with audacity.

This on and old dual 1.9 ghz cores, 2gig ram rust-bucket.

I notice some graphic-redraw issues with the taskbar, it seems
to claim about a 1-1/2 inch zone at the bottom of the screen,
that is drawn over the stretched wallpaper. I forgot to
configure audacity from alsa to jackd, and the system had
a lockup, (when I pressed play, with the imported timemachine
.w64 file) where only the taskbar's portion at the bottom
remained visible. And when the system boots, the separate wallpaper
drawing operation can be seen. The full screen is drawn,
then the taskbar portion draws over it. I do like the
taskbar transparency, and the icons are not cartoons,
and their colors don't clash. 8)
Very pleasant to work with.
Cheers

Eric.Christenson

Bug: Universal Installer does not recognize second USB drive

#250 Post by Eric.Christenson »

When I boot of my USB drive, plug in a second USB drive (recognized by file system, and Bootflash install puppy to USB, and mountable), the second USB drive is not available for installing puppy.

That is, boot off of sdb1, plug in sdc1 to external USB hub, puppy universal installer won't offer it as an install destination. Seems a little less than universal!

My system:
Puppy Slacko 5.7, moved to USB, patched for IWL wireless not finding firmware file through symbolic link, devx installed. Runs on Panasonic Toughbook CF-30.

If this is a duplicate, it is because I can't search a thread only on the forum.

Thanks everyone, the installation works great!

Eric.Christenson

iwlegacy iwl4965 firmware iwl3945 not loadable thru symlink

#251 Post by Eric.Christenson »

I've seen this before, but it took me about two days of fooling around to find the report and fix it, so here it is again, along with the bits that make it worse.

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF30, running puppy slacko 7.5, with an Intel 4965 wireless chipset. The same will apply to Intel 3945 wireless chip drivers.

The iwLegacy driver loads the 4965 driver fine as part of the autosetup, but the driver can't seem to load the firmware for the chip. Replacing the symlink for the .ucode with the real file is all that is required. I would have been on to it sooner, but the wireless wizard offered to load a driver, but didn't tell me the 4965 driver was loaded with an error, so wlan0 hadn't been created. So that's a feature request...get that fault info out on the GUI at network setup so there's less hunting.

So I went off and got 3/4 of the way to building the driver from source....got tired of it after building /makeing modules.h but I still didn't get the include path straightened out for gcc.

Then I found out that others had found that moving the firmware binary (the .ucode file) to replace the symbolic link worked, so I did that, and magic (well, not quite, simple network setup worked as my AP is set up WPA-PSK, but wireless wizard did not.), the Tougbook came online.

Thanks for everyone's patience...

bigpup

Re: Bug: Universal Installer does not recognize second USB drive

#252 Post by bigpup »

Eric.Christenson wrote:When I boot of my USB drive, plug in a second USB drive (recognized by file system, and Bootflash install puppy to USB, and mountable), the second USB drive is not available for installing puppy.

That is, boot off of sdb1, plug in sdc1 to external USB hub, puppy universal installer won't offer it as an install destination. Seems a little less than universal!
After you plug in sdc1, left click on it's desktop icon, to mount it. After it is mounted.
Does the Universal Installer now see it?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eric.Christenson

#253 Post by Eric.Christenson »

sdc is actually recognised--as a USB Hard drive(!) Discussion moved to noobs area...I am trying to figure out how to get the superfloppy install to work for a machine that might recognise the card as a floppy, and I am short one lynchpin.

See: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95655

Eric.Christenson

Loss of window manager during huge firefox downloads

#254 Post by Eric.Christenson »

I am not at all clear that this issue is specific to Slacko 5.7 and not JWM and Firefox or located elsewhere.

Today, Slacko 5.7 (running from my flash drive, Toughbook CF-30 hardware (which has no trouble booting from flash drive) got into a state where I couldn't recover the correct screen about 50% of the way into downloading a Gigabyte or so (various recommended puppy isos, along with 40 meg of random stuff from microchip.com) to the flash drive that I am booting with Plop. There were two Firefox windows up with multiple tabs, and a third download window.

I was using screen 2 to work on some smallish text files for work, and walked away for awhile.

When I returned, I could no longer get the firefox screen from window 1 to minimize off of display screen 1, and it wouldn't go away from screen 2 or 3, either. I could get a new tab up, but I couldn't get typing in the google search box. Eventually, the massive download completed some hours later, and I clicked on start, then shutdown. I couldn't see the dialog, so I hit enter -- which caused the machine to shutdown and reboot more or less as I wanted.

I have devx and libreOffice installed. Firefox reports revision 17.0.11, no plugins installed. Wierd--firefox seems to be popping its title and menu bar on and off the screen tonight...I don't think firefox had a title bar up when I was having a problem.

bigpup

Re: Loss of window manager during huge firefox downloads

#255 Post by bigpup »

Eric.Christenson wrote: Today, Slacko 5.7 (running from my flash drive
How are you setup to save?
Save to a save file or save to a partition?
How much free space is on the flash drive?

What you describe can be caused by a save file filling up. You say you were downloading a large file.

Also could be caused by the memory filling up.
With a flash drive Puppy install using a save file.
Memory is used and limited timed updates to the save file. This is to limit writing to the flash drive too much.

When downloading large files or program packages it is very important the place you download to has the free space available.

If you download to, /mnt/home, that is outside of the save file, in the top layer of the flash drive. Stuff will be directly written to the free space on the flash drive.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eric.Christenson

#256 Post by Eric.Christenson »

This would not be a graceful way to handle running out of memory., but I suspect that subject would be long and deep.

sdb (boot flash drive) and sdc (main save target for the recommended ISOs) are both 16 Gig Sandisk Cruzer flash drives. Both are FAT32/vfat formatted.

sdc has 2.5G total on it. The smaller files were directed to subdirectories on /mnt/home.
sdb has 4.9G total. Most of that is slackosave-eric.2fs.at 4096M, which is reported as mounted. I've installed kernel headers and made the kernel-specific include for an attempted build of the wlegacy device driver. Not quite sure how to find out how much free space it has.

Hardinfo reports 2 Gig of Ram, and, on restoring firefox, 1.24 Gig or so used.

trio

#257 Post by trio »

The command "modprobe" is missing the -l (list) option?

vittorio

Nvidia Geforce Gt 540m problems with driver

#258 Post by vittorio »

Hi, I've tried to install nvidia drivers for my Geforce Gt 540m (via PPM, via .pet file and sfs file done with getnvidia) but when I run Xorgwizard gives an error (with log file saved) and happen 2 things:
1) Seems to Load the driver but mouse is blocked and pc blocked!
2) doesn't load the driver and it's necessary to Fallback (use a provided backup configuration of X) and loads intel drivers

Seems that Slacko does'nt see the nvidia card and load Intel drivers for the integrated graphic card.

How can I resolve?

P.S. In other Puppy version it is all ok! (I load sfs file, write nvidia-xconfig in terminal and restart graphical server and the driver is working)

rufwoof

Re: Nvidia Geforce Gt 540m problems with driver

#259 Post by rufwoof »

vittorio wrote:Seems that Slacko does'nt see the nvidia card and load Intel drivers for the integrated graphic card.
Stab in the dark for me, but might this thread help http://ns2.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 3f64f1e1f8 (look for shinobar's posts specific to Slacko).

don570

#260 Post by don570 »

I tested the latest daily build of Audacity on Slacko 5.7 and 5.6

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97038

Only one bug found so far. Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift effect