problems installing txz packages - slacko 5.7 non PAE

Please post any bugs you have found
sim

problems installing txz packages - slacko 5.7 non PAE

#1 Post by sim »

Hi to everyone.
Thank you for accepting me in this forum.
I installed and I use - enjoiying it a lot - slacko 5.7 (non PAE). Thank you for making it.
Since I would like to use it in a pc with an Athlon 1600 Le (2 gb ram) for making music, I installed some slackware packages from studioware in a full slacko installation on hard disk. I install the packages clicking on it, as usual.
The strange thing is that sometime the ppm says that the package I'm installing is already present, but I'm sure it's not (example: fluidsynth). I can solve the problem slighty changing the name of the package.
Can someone tell me how PPM check if a package is already installed?
I searched for the packages that gave me error in /root/.packages, inside the list of packages from woof and inside the list of user installed packages, but I found nothing. Still, PPM refuse to install some packages at random.
Can someone help me, please?

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.

Sim

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hello Sim --Welcome.

Those asterisk marked items that say they're installed --aren't.

They're part of Pups "devx" or development pkg, NOT included in the base iso.

Somewhere in the menus, possibly Slickpet, is where you'll find the option to dwnld and run.

I'd say it's compulsory if you're planning to run Pup as a full-blown desktop.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

sim

#3 Post by sim »

Hi Semme.
Thanks for your replay.
Probably you're right, but I noticed that playing Zynsubaddfx with slacko gave me better results than playing it in a slack 14.1 with a realtime kernel. Probably I mistook something, bit to me seemed better slacko. Then I like something not bloated that I can bloat myself!
At che end, I would like to use this PC as htpc, and slacko seems a good choice forma me.

Thank you forma tour suggestion.

Have a nice day.

sim

#4 Post by sim »

Sorry, I didn't turn off the damned t9 (in italian).

sim

#5 Post by sim »

Hi.
Reading better your answer, Semme - thank you again - I thought that the problem is slightly different.
For example: I would like to install the package frescobaldi.txz taken from studioware.org repository.
I click on it, the installation begins, but then, PPM notify me that that package is impossible to install, because already installed.
Looking at the lists mentioned in my first post, there is no frescobaldi package written there, either with or without asterisks.
But the package should install, since it's a slackware package. This apart from the fact of what I'm going to do with my installation.
So, again, can someone help me resolve this problem?
Thanks a lot.

Bye

Sim

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Maybe your browser's corrupting it? Do you know whether you need Studiopkg beforehand?

Open a terminal and dwnld like this, then retry the install routine..

Code: Select all

wget http://www.studioware.org/files/packages/slackware-14.0/graphics/frescobaldi-1.2.0-i686-2se.txz
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

sim

#7 Post by sim »

Unfortunately at the moment I have no internet connection at home.
So I downloaded the packages from studioware repository and I tried installation clicking on the package.
Anyway this weekend I'll try to do what you suggested, trying to find an internet connection.

Thanks a lot.

Sim