How can I run in RAM after HD install?

Booting, installing, newbie
Sit Heel Speak

Re: I've found the answer that works for me!

#21 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

PyreMage wrote:
pythoncoder wrote:
pythoncoder wrote:Using pupx with a boot parameter PSLEEP=999 forces Puppy to run in a ramdisk. Pete
Does that work for the HDD installation also? Which file is that? If it really is that easy then this entire thread, and all that above, was for naught...
Yes, it does work. Specifying PSLEEP=999 in the "kernel" line of grub.exe's menu.lst, or in isolinux.cfg, causes the contents of pup001 to be read into RAMdisk, then copied back upon shutdown.

PyreMage

#22 Post by PyreMage »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Yes, it does work. Specifying PSLEEP=999 in the "kernel" line of grub.exe's menu.lst, or in isolinux.cfg, causes the contents of pup001 to be read into RAMdisk, then copied back upon shutdown.
:!: All I've got to do now is figure out how to stop laughing long enough to change a line of code!! :lol: This is just getting more perfect all the time! :lol:

Sit Heel Speak

#23 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

PyreMage wrote:This is just getting more perfect all the time! :lol:
Have you tried Puppy 1.0.8+MegaPuppy 2 yet? I can't decide which I like better, Enlightenment with the window transparencies set about 1/3 of the way from opaque, or KDE/Konqueror...

Sit Heel Speak

#24 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Arrgghhh double post... :roll:

Waikiki Websurfer

#25 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Sit Heel Speak,

Do you have an opinion on which one is the preferred location for the PSLEEP=999 option, grub.exe's menu.lst, or isolinux.cfg? Is there really any difference when it is called?
__O__ \/\/ \/\/
__/\___
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Sit Heel Speak

#26 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

If you use grub.exe as an executable (i.e. not substituting the mbr) then PSLEEP goes in menu.lst.

If you use LinLd from a floppy then it goes (I *think* :? ) in isolinux.cfg.

Since my experience is only in

1. the poor man's install, i.e. Puppy core files on disk, c:\grub.exe started from autoexec.bat

and

2. like the poor man's install except on a USB flash key (including isolinux.cfg), booted either from grub on disk as #1 (in which case isolinux.cfg is not used) or from a floppy using WakeUSB, which runs LinLd from an autoexec.bat and (I believe!) references isolinux.cfg on the flash key.

I can give you no general guidance, i.e. I've never done a full disk install, I've never used a CD, I've never used a dedicated ext2 partition. Fastest booting I've seen so far is #1 --47 seconds for Puppy 2 alpha 3 on my PIII-800 Thinkpad. SeaMonkey starts in 4.5 seconds, but subjectively it seems faster than that. I should note here, that the BX chipset on my Thinkpad limits disk speed to UDMA2, i.e. 33Mbps, and the onboard USB slot is only USB 1. After I learn how to recompile the kernel so it will recognize my PCMCIA slot before doing the USB probe, then my flash key will be able to boot through a PCMCIA USB 2 adapter and transfer at USB 2 speed. This will cut boot and start times drastically.

Waikiki Websurfer

#27 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Hmm... For a GRUB install, it should not make a difference whether or not GRUB stage1.5 and stage2 are called from the MBR or from somewhere else (El-Torito CD or floppy). The MBR will contain a stage1 loader pointing to the next 512 byte sector, which usally tends to be the next sector after the 512 byte MBR on dedicated disks. You can have GRUB pass kernel options to the Linux Kernel being loaded:

[quote]13.3.20 kernel
__O__ \/\/ \/\/
__/\___
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

veronicathecow

Tried PSLEEP=999 but no change

#28 Post by veronicathecow »

Tried PSLEEP=999 but no change in load speed and when I tried to run seakmonkey the HD chattered away as normal.
Any ideas?

WhoDo

#29 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Nope, you don't have a pupfile then. It's actually installed to the partition and already mounted. That resizing utility is only for people with a pupfile. If you want to extend your's, you'd have to use a partition editing tool to resize the partition itself.
Only one problem here: with a normal Type 2 install to a hard drive partition, once Puppy has read the partition size I'm pretty sure that's it for the life of that installation!

I've tried resizing my Puppy partitions to get extra space. It doesn't work because Puppy simply "expands" to fill the partition, leaving exactly the same free space no matter what size the partition is increased to. That is really frustrating! :shock:

I can't even copy the partition to another location, create a new partition and copy back. The copied partition still "grows" to fill the new space and leave the same free area. :?

The only way to get more space is to create an entirely new partition, reinstall Puppy to the new partition and then recreate your configuration from the files on the old partition. It's easier just to reinstall applications from the dotpups.

Cheers