Portable Google Chrome for Puppy

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
slavvo67

#41 Post by slavvo67 »

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't Chome have Jave built-in?

I must say that after using almost every browser listed in this Forum, the Portable Google Chrome seems to be the most complete and seems to work faster than the other (at least popular ones - Seamonkey, Firefox, Slimboat, Opera). The problem, of course is giving Google all your info.

shinobar

java plugin not supported

#42 Post by shinobar »

Google chrome does not support NPAPI including JAVA plugin anymore.
http://www.quora.com/How-will-Java-be-s ... PI-support
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

georg1

#43 Post by georg1 »

Hi. I try installed chrome.portable on dpup-487

I try with dpup because support my ancient Radeon 9200.

so is any chance chrome portable work there ?

thx

morochos

videos and extensions

#44 Post by morochos »

Thanks for your reply, shinobar.
I found others issues:
1) Running videos (facebook, youtube) is very slow compared with a .pet or .sfs installation.
2) I have tried to Install some extensions and the system shows an error message, of downloading, specifically.

faithful

BookMark Working

#45 Post by faithful »

Below seamed to work. I'll restart chrome and if it save the bookmark, I'll be back Thanks for all the work, one way or another
got back with the bookmark. thanks again
@jimmyjoe
Try this to see what happens.
1. Open the google-chrome-portable folder
2. Edit the script google-chrome-portable:
After the line 136, insert sleep 1 or more.
google-chrome-portable wrote:
HOME="$EXTMNTPNT" "$GOOGLE_PATH" --user-data-dir="$USER_DATA_DIR" --disk-cache-dir="$DISK_CACHE_DIR" "$EXECPARAM" ###FIXME 2> "$GOOGLE_LOGFILE"
STATUS=$?
sleep 1
umountsfs
umountext
[quote][/quote]

Rope

#46 Post by Rope »

Hello, does this installer need to be in an ext partition?
I have Puppy in NTFS.
The insataller fails
Google Chrome Installer 0.7: fatal ERROR

Failed to create
'/mnt/+mnt+home+puppy+google-chrome-portable+google-chrome-portable-work.3fs/google-chrome-0.7.sfs'.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

sunburnt

#47 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Rope; The std. Chrome and Firefox browsers are made of Linux files, so yes they have to be on a Linux partition.

However... If these apps were made in SFS, or AppDir packages, then they would run from any partition type.

# Submit a request for app builders to package their apps in AppDir packages.

shinobar

google-chrome-portable on NTFS

#48 Post by shinobar »

google-chrome-portable shold work on NTFS.
Check your NTFS is healthy.
I am not sure on NTFS compressed. uncompress is recommended.
Check disk and defragment the partition on Windows.

If the partition is not /mnt/home, but say /mnt/sda2, unmount the partition and ensure /mnt/sda2 is empty when it is unmounted.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

sunburnt

#49 Post by sunburnt »

Sorry Shinobar; I didn`t read your first post completely, it is an AppDir.
The AppDir dir. must be in the Save file, but the SFS can be anywhere.
How does the startup script know where the SFS file is.?

I find this useful as Firefox just keeps getting worse and worse it seems.

gcmartin

#50 Post by gcmartin »

I have alway run "compressed NTFS" partitions for data on every platform I have used since 2000. Excepting for the fact that sometimes I have had to boot MS to clear a flag, I have not had ANY major issues with this technology. And, I have used Chrome/Chromium over the years.

Portable apps have a place. I would like to see a recommendation of a skeleton of the directory structure users can maintain for a simple understanding of the separations of program files from cache, download, and config files which can be used so that ANY distro booted could use the browser.

Any pictoral would be useful as a guide.

sunburnt

#51 Post by sunburnt »

Frankly all apps should be written to work portably, like apps. like Firefox and Chrome that are well written.

If all apps. were portable, then no union file system is needed. It`s just a hack to blend different file systems.

backi

#52 Post by backi »

I am just a newbie ok sunburnt ... why could not every puppy programm app be portable and if , why is this not be done more frequently ? .....

..i like that portable style . I wouldfind it a great idea doing more portable .All apps should be portable .Is this possible ? Or is this a naive question ?
Cheers !

sunburnt

#53 Post by sunburnt »

Hi backi; I don`t want to steal the thread in any way, but in short...

There`s about 4 ways to make a portable app:
1) The app author writes the app that way ( the correct way it should be done ).
2) Compiling the app properly ( this only works on a little over half the apps ).
3) Use chroot or fake chroot to set up a new execution environment for the app.
4) Use scripts to setup a portable execution environment for the app.

Newer apps are written better, so compiling works for more of them I think.
None of the "hack" methods ( 3 & 4 ) compare to well written apps of course.

gcmartin

Benefits list write-up

#54 Post by gcmartin »

@PeeBee offers a Chromium packaging, as well.

Here is a brief synopsis of what Chrome on 64bit distros provides for us.

Griot

#55 Post by Griot »

Hi shinobar. Just for the sake of curiosity I tried to run this package on my PC (CPU is not SSE2 capable, frugal installed Precise 5.72 with PAE kernel, save2dir) and the following error occured:

The .log file looks like this:

Code: Select all

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/seamonkey:/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/lib
'/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-0.7.sfs' is mounted on '/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs'.
'/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-config.3fs' is mounted on  '/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs'.
HOME=/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs /mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs/google-chrome-config --disk-cache-dir=/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/Cache --disk-cache-size=104857600 --madia-cache-size=104857600 file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --warning
1:'/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs' unmounted.
'/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs' unmounted.
Is this related to non-SSE2 CPU or is it something else that causes
this error? I know I'm being nosey :roll: though it might help others with the same problem. Cheers!

kosmos87

#56 Post by kosmos87 »

Hi, I'm a new user, I just made a full install of Wary 5.5 on a veeeery old laptop (an ancient 2003 Acer Travelmate), because my usual laptop (with a fresh up-to-date Ubuntu) has some battery issues and I can't fix them until new year.

So I only need this pc to "survive" a few weeks, to surf the web, write a few documents, check my e-mail, etc. The thing is, i'm used to work a lot with google drive, my work is basically there. So i was hoping to make chrome work with this (lovely) puppy, but I couldn't. Yes, I already tried Seamonkey and yes, I liked it, it works fine but... if is not too much trouble, can someone help me? :oops:

This is the error message on my screen.
P.S: I updated the libraries written in the help file (the link didn't worked, but I found the packages on the official Ubuntu file), so these must be some others... :?
Attachments
capture2057.png
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times

gcmartin

#57 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Shinobar and Happy New Year to you.

I've just installed Portable Chrome on a PUP distro named ChromeCastPUP by @ETP. Interesting enough it comes to this screen.
I wonder if an option would be appropriate to LIST any locations in the filesystem that contain existing Chrome bookmarks seen in the running system? This makes it easy to "tag and acquire" the existing for users who are not knowledgeable of the existing installation's location of Chrome.

I am not aware of any downside to having the portable utility search and present this for user selection? There, of course, would be a small time penalty to have the installation utility do this, but, it is nothing compared to the time required for manual searching for bookmarks.

If its an appropriate feature I'm sure it may be added in the future. Hope this is helpful as this utility matures toward 1.0

Rock

#58 Post by Rock »

Just a quick question:
what does it mean that chrome is "portable" for puppyLinux?

Thanks!

starhawk

#59 Post by starhawk »

It means that you can put Chrome Portable on any external medium (such as a flash drive) and it will run from that drive as if it was installed on your system -- except when you unmount and remove the drive you will leave no traces of the program within your Puppy install (it'll still be on the flash drive tho).

It's quite useful for situations where you have multiple Pups that all need to run the same set of applications. Well, as long as they will all actually run the apps! (Different versions of different things, can get in the way of that.)

caiosama

#60 Post by caiosama »

I tried to install this in Carolina Vanguard Frugal, but this happened:

Code: Select all

google-chrome-portable:/initrd/mnt/dev_save/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
google-chrome-portable:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/qt4/lib:/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/lib
google-chrome-portable:Build
google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
google-chrome-portable:Extracting  '/root/Downloads/google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb'
to '/var/tmp/google-chrome-portable-root...
dpkg-deb: file `/root/Downloads/google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb' contains ununderstood data member data.tar.xz     , giving up
find: `./etc': No such file or directory
[i]Pupjibaro 1.0.4 2015 / LxpupTahr 15.05.2 - Live USB - Dell D630
Precise 5.7.1 - Full installation - Asus EeePC 701 4G (2 GB RAM)
Carolina Vanguard Frugal /Arch Linux Antergos - Lenovo G4070[/i]