Open Office.org 2.04 Dotpup or .sfs (US, DE, FR, VI)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
sunburnt

#21 Post by sunburnt »

Mark; I certainly understand your problems with the inconsistancies of Puppy & trying to support "every release".
This is why I'm still working with Puppy 1, & it has more inconsistancies than I care for!

I think if Puppy system utilities were written & documented for developers, it'd go a long way to fixing this.
It seems that in the rush to make & release "something new" the basics of a "full distro." have been passed over.
Pizzasgood's utilities for working with Puppy files is a great start for a developers "tool kit".
But the underlieing O.S. needs documented utilities so all of us aren't constantly rewriting the same code over & over again.
The menus for all the different WMs Puppy has is a good example,
a utility to add or delete items from any installed WM's menu that it finds?
rarsa's unified menus helps for the future Puppies, but I guess there's problems with it in Xfce.

OH... and Mark, an english version of your web site's donations page?
(I don't mean to insinuate that english is the only language you should consider, Spanish & French are common languages also)

theinfamousj

#22 Post by theinfamousj »

Oh, I'm sure that something went wrong with the install, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a space issue. I have installed on three separate computers and only had problems on one of them.

I did snag the squashfile of OpenOffice but as it is my first, I am at a loss as to how to use it. I know this isn't the ideal place, but if someone would be so kind as to tell me where to put it, it would be much appreciated. Does it go inside or outside of my puppy file architecture?

MU

#23 Post by MU »

You usually put it in /mnt/home and reboot.
Then you should have a folder
/usr/local/openoffice.org2.0

There you should fnd programs:
/usr/local/openoffice.org2.0/scalc
/usr/local/openoffice.org2.0/simpress
/usr/local/openoffice.org2.0/swriter

and more.
If only one is missing, this would indicate an error in unionfs, in that case I would have to update the dotpup with a small bugfix-script.

Mark

fed

#24 Post by fed »

Worked fantastic MU. Thanks!
Should not it be mentioned in first post you made where links are provided?

Fed.

disciple

#25 Post by disciple »

I have made a squashfile for Puppy 1.x
But it is 120MB without help files, and Nathan's original OOo2.0 dotpup is only 106MB including help files - has OO grown by that much, or is there something special I should be doing when I squash it? - should I be using a Big Endian filesystem instead of a little Endian or something?

MU

#26 Post by MU »

It might be a bit larger, as it includes languagefiles for english, french and german.
I think it also grew slightly in general.

So your size looks ok.

Mark

disciple

#27 Post by disciple »

Ah-I seem to have been confused here looking at it from different platforms and file managers-it is ~120,000,000 bytes or about 114MB, and although MU's 2.10 squashfile is about the same size as Nathan's 1.x, his 2.11 squashfile is about the same size as mine.

All I did is I took Nathan's squashfile and replaced the OOo-2.0 folder with the one produced from installing the dotpup (which started off with a slightly different name). So it adds entries to XDG menus, and instead of MU's panel type thing, it has Nathan's launcher app that you drag to your desktop and right-click on to pick what to launch (or just click to launch OO writer). I fixed the error (in the launcher app) with launching OO impress, and changed the OO executable to use the Gnome interface. If you used it but wanted MU's panel thing you could always install his smaller dotpup :)

I would like to share it if somebody can suggest a reliable way - I haven't had much luck with these free file hosting sites - upload something, and then it doesn't want to download... :) and I don't really have the bandwidth to try uploading to several places before I find one that works.

Also, I am going to make for myself an English only version (which looks like it will save something like 20-25MB), but with help (which will add 25MB back again), and I am inclined to share this instead, as I think it will be more useful for more people. What does everybody want?

Also, if there are any quick changes I should make to it, let me know, as I have the files sitting there in a virtual hard-drive, and don't mind re-squashing it.

MU

#28 Post by MU »

a english onlyversion might be a good alternative.
When you finished everything, write me a PM, the I can send you instructions for upload.
Mark

disciple

#29 Post by disciple »

OK, I stripped out the other languages, and also removed from /local/OOo-2.0/share/config
images_crystal.zip, images_hicontrast.zip, images_industrial.zip.
I think these are icons for theming or something, and it doesn't seem to affect anything taking them out, and they take up a lot of space, and Nathan's squashfile didn't have them, so I think it is safe.
The squashfile is now 107MB, fractionally larger than Nathan's one. It works in Puppy 1.09, 1.08, Grafpup, and even Chubby Puppy.
I'm going to have to wait till the 16th before I upload though due to bandwidth limitations, so you have 11 days to protest and say you don't want those things taken out :)

MU

#30 Post by MU »

I got a question about a spanish version via PM.
As this is of general interest, I reply here.

I wrote a description for version 2.03 here:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9102

For 2.04 it should be almost the same.

http://es.openoffice.org/
Here you could download a native spanish OO.
Extract it with undeb or unrpm, then make a new squashfs.
You can install undeb with the dotpupdownloader in the setup-menu.

When you extracted, delete all files except opt/openoffice.org2.0

Now make a squashfs:
mksquashfs opt OpenOffice204-spanish_211.sfs

Replace your existing OpenOffice-2.04_211.sfs with it and reboot.
This is the best way, but requires to download again 120 MB.

You also could try to download smaller languagepacks and overwrite existing files with it, but these are often not complete, and such an installation is not very clean and wastes space in pup_save.3fs.
I would not recommend that.

Mark

setecio

#31 Post by setecio »

I'm new to Puppy and need some help. I want to install openoffice on Puppy 2.02. So I've read this topic, and intended to download and install getdir.pup first and then the other two. So I downloaded getdir.pup to 'my documents' folder, now I'm stuck. I clicked on it - didn't work. I opened 'Puppy package manager' then 'Pupget' but could not find how to locate the new 'getdir.pup'.

I'm sure installing openoffice is fairly easy, but as I'm new to Puppy, I'm stuck, not knowing how to download and install .pups which are outside the Puppy package manager, which is probably easy when you know how.

So could someone please guide me on the basic steps to download and install the .pup files for OpenOffice : getdir.pup, openoffice.org2.0.pup, OpenOffice-2.pup. Or maybe there is already a topic covering this, but I couldn't see it :(

EDIT : How Silly of me :oops: :oops: :oops:
Just clicked on getdir and it has installed. I think I was trying to click on it through Seamonkey first, instead of file manager. :oops: :oops: :oops:

OpenOffice now fully installed :D

MU

#32 Post by MU »

disciple uploaded his OpenOffice 2.04 for Puppy 1.

It is available here in 1-2 hours:
http://htb65.de/puppylinux/addons/OpenO ... .4/Puppy1/

Size is 106 MB, it is english only.

Mark

Hacao

#33 Post by Hacao »

Hi !

Vietnamese for OpenOffice 2.04 here.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/editors ... rg-l10n-vi

Thanks MU for Vietnamese dotpups.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44675]Hacao Linux 2009 CE released ![/url]

[url=http://hacao.com]Hacao.com[/url] English & Vietnamese !

MU

#34 Post by MU »

Thanks Hacao, I will try to make a dotpup this week :)
Mark

MU

#35 Post by MU »

Vietnamese languagesupport for OpenOffice 2.04.

After you have installed OpenOffice, install this dotpup (688 kb):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Office/OpenOf ... ang-vi.pup

Then start the writer, and choose vietnamese in "Tools - Options - Language Settings".
Then restart OpenOffice.

If you see squares instead of vietnamese characters, install a unicode font (not required in Hacao-Linux, just in Standard-Puppy):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Fon ... u-2.12.pup (2.7 MB)

To activate it for OpenOffice, install the Gtk-Themechooser.
Run it, and select the font DejaVu.

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Desktop-Tools ... getdir.pup
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Desktop-Tools ... st04MU.pup
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Desktop-Tools ... hooser.pup

Here is a screenshot showing how to use the Gtk-Themechooser:

Then restart OpenOffice.

I can not tell you, how to activate vietnamese input-method (keyboard) for OpenOffice, but certainly Hacao or phantrongnghia can ;)

Mark

withasong

Installation of OpenOfc v2.04 worked, but reboot failed...

#36 Post by withasong »

Help! I successfully followed the first message in this thread and fully installed the OpenOffice v2.04 program, but it didn't survive a reboot on a Live-CD.

After the install, the word processor worked fine and I saved a file which, when I rebooted in Windows, opened just fine and I could read the letter written in Puppy in Windows (so I know got the word processor working before I shut Puppy down, and the whole office suite worked too since other OO programs that I tried immediately after the install worked too before I rebooted). When I shut down, Puppy saved 312 MB to my live-cd session (which was my 2nd session and it was right after the install and letter writing), so I know it logically saved the OO installation, but when I rebooted Puppy v2.12, Puppy started to load the last second session first (I could tell by the date and time stamp), then it skipped the first session (at least, it was not listed in the boot-up), then Puppy initialized as though this was my very first run (it asked for the keyboard, video info, etc.). Both Firefox and OpenOfffice were gone!

To recap, after burning the Puppy v2.12 ISO, my first session was to download Firefox v2.0 which was successfully saved and when I rebooted it came up as expected, and with it, I then downloaded and installed the OpenOfc v2.04 (which then became my second session when I closed it down). It was a brand new 700MB CD too, with only the ISO burned on it before my two sessions (and the addition of the ISO and the 2 sessions left plenty of space on the CD logically). By the way, I show 1.9G of memory on the status bar (I have 512MB of physical memory and 2 gig's in a Linux Swap partition).

When I rebooted again and told Puppy to eliminated the second session (the 312MB OpenOfc session), Firefox v2.0 will still there from my first session and it reappeared with all my bookmarks intact. This boot said it marked the second session as bad, so I assume I won't be able to recover the installation, but what went wrong? Should I have resized anything or done something else (again, I'm working with a live-CD session and none of the Puppy files or installs are being saved to my hard disk -- I know, since I've looked in Windows at all my drives and I see nothing, and my Linux Ext3 partition where I temporarily stored the downloaded installation files is now empty and the Linux Swap partition is likewise empty).

Since I want to try the OpenOffice v2.04 installation again, I want to know what to do so I can keep the Firefox and OpenOfc installations through another boot-up (and I do want to keep both Firefox and the OpenOfc suite on a Live-CD -- well, it'll be a DVD-R once I get everything working, but until then, I'm using CDs for my test runs). I'll have Puppy burn me a new CD with just Firefox v2.0 before I try the OpenOffice install again, but what else should I do?

Any ideas?

withasong

Follow-up To Previous Msg

#37 Post by withasong »

This is a follow-up to my message above about having lost both the completed OpenOffice v2.04 installation and my previous session too which successfully installed Firefox v2.0.

The first post in this thread said "You can run it from the dotpups-menu" but I didn't see my new downloads there, unless it was meant for me to activate the OpenOffice Launcher which is always there (I assumed, probably wrongly, that I'd be looking for something else related to my new downloads, but the assumption I just stated here now makes less sense to me now that I rethink it). So, since I didn't see what I was expecting then, I started the installation from the ROX filer by clicking directly on the first file you said to download, then clicking on the 2nd file, and finally, clicking on the 3rd file, all directly from the ROX filer instead of going through any DotPups function. Might my having used the ROX directly have had something to do with my problem, even though everything worked OK before my first reboot after the install and even though 312MBs were saved after the install?

To recap, should I, on my second try, first activate the OpenOffice Launcher in the DotPups list and will it ask me where I've downloaded the installation files (I already put another download of all 3 files in the empty Ext3 partition that I originally used for my first set of downloads, however on my first installation try I said yes to deleting the installation files at the end of the install, so of course, I therefore had to download them again, which I've done). I'm ready to go when I get some advice about what to do.

I'll bet you can guess what I going to say: I"m ready to go when I hear from someone about what to do...

PS: I won't delete the installation files again until after I get another successful install that lasts through a reboot with the Live-CD procedure! By the way, my goal is to make one master Live-CD disk with Puppy v2.12 with fully installed copies of Firefox v2.0 and OpenOffice v2.04 which I will then put on my 4 computers, and which I also want to give it to my family members and friends who are wiling to try Linux (but they won't have the background to go through any installation headaches, but they might just be willing to try Linux if it's ready to go with both Firefox and OpenOffice already successfully installed; so I'm eager to get this to work on one Live-CD master rather than do 4 separate installs of Firefox and OpenOfc for myself, then more separate installs of Firefox and OpenOfc for the family members and friends, especially since they don't have a fast internet connection -- gee, I can't imagine doing it over modem!).

nilsja

remove openoffice

#38 Post by nilsja »

The first time i installed open office via sfs file, but it didn't work after the first reboot.
Than i tried the pup file and the installation worked but the program didn't. I uninstalled both pups with the package manager an after rebooting sth merged my open office into sth. An open office is there, but still not working. Than i realized that Abiword with plugins is enough for me but don't know how to remove open office.

Does anybody here kno how to uninstall such an sfs file? Is that possible?

MU

#39 Post by MU »

you can simply delete it.
But you should not do that, while it is mounted, this might create lost entries on your harddisk (unused space).
Instead, do it from Windows, or boot Puppy from CD.
At the boot-options, enter:
puppy pfix=ram

Then mount the drive with the .sfs in MUT, and delete the .sfs.
Mark

nilsja

dank dir mu

#40 Post by nilsja »

that worked fine Image sometimes things are too easy...