Live CD v 5.2.8.

Booting, installing, newbie
cypher000

Live CD v 5.2.8.

#1 Post by cypher000 »

Hi Gu's. Foolish to start this at 81 and in the terminal stages of cancer, but thats what I'm like I guess.
Fed up with the numerous boxes popping up on my Win XP screen, I decided to buy a Live CD of Puppy Linux. I honestly thought I could just insert it into mydrive and away it would go. It does, but not very far.

Every time I try I get the same responses.
Loading Drivers. Done.
Searching for Puppy files. Done.
Loading LUPU 528 sfs. Main file copy to RAM. Done.
Setting up layered filesystem. Done
Performing a 'Switch Root' to the layered file system. Kernel panic. Not syncing. Attempted to kill init.

Thats it and my computer will not respond to anything. I have to manually switch off and start again. But the same thing happens every time.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Welcome.
I don't think there is anything wrong with people charging a small amount for Puppy Live CD's, but it is quite easy to burn them yourself and that way you can experiment a bit and try different Puppy versions.

Your computer is obviously attempting to boot from the CD and this process should normally be straight forward. The error you are getting could be the result of a bad burn of the CD (in which case you should ask for a replacement) or it could be that your CD drive is faulty and not reading the disc properly. Older CD drives are notorious for going faulty rather easily. Can you try booting the CD in another machine? Does the CD drive appear to work with other discs? Tests like this help to pinpoint where the problem lies.

Can you give any details about the type of computer you are using?
Oscar in England

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Could be dust bunnies in the CD drive making it not read OK.
If you have a CD cleaning disc try cleaning the CD drive.

Also, not sure the burn speed used on the CD.
Older CD drives can have issues reading disks, burned at speeds that were not available, when the drives were made.

How much memory the computer has could be an issue.
So, how much memory in computer?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)