How to send all my network traffic through tor?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
tejeskifly

How to send all my network traffic through tor?

#1 Post by tejeskifly »

Hi!

I want to send all of my network traffic trought tor. Anyone can give me some instructions about it?

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

You need a Tor browser (which IIRC is a special version of FireFox),
see this link about how to install on Puppy Linux ...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=803949#803949

[ BTW Tor is a very slow connection compared with regular internet ].

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

There is a variable I believe that should tell software to use the proxy but seems that most ignore it so in linux land you have to configure each program individually rather than have the one convenient setting. I configure standard firefox to use the proxy and the same could be done for say thunderbird/pidgin/gftp and so on. Not sure on the status of DNS requests though.

mike

Barkin

#4 Post by Barkin »

mikeb wrote:There is a variable I believe that should tell software to use the proxy ... I configure standard firefox to use the proxy ...
Yes you can configure any old browser to use Tor as a proxy,
but the special version of FireFox that Tor issues has identifying-features / known-vulnerabilities removed from it ,
[ and using a separate browser for Tor helps ensure you are actually using Tor : it would be possible on your current browser to think you were using Tor when you are not 8¬o ].

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

http://www.proxomitron.ru/proxwiki/anon ... mendations
just fyi more detail..... this weeks vunerabilities are an ongoing song and dance act really... anyway a check on a whatsmyip type site is surely a quick way to confirm you are hidden....the resultant slow browsing is the other clue for me :)
Well that's the closest I have ever had to getting an answer to why use the (large) tor package browser rather than just whatever browser is present...... only took a year to get that one ..that's why I try and answer questions and rarely ask them :D

Anyway a bit off topic..the question is, is there a setting/way in linux to set the use of a proxy for all apps and I believe there is not.

mike

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

mikeb wrote: Anyway a bit off topic..the question is, is there a setting/way in linux to set the use of a proxy for all apps and I believe there is not.

mike
A proxy server anonymizes your IP address for web traffic. A VPN encrypts all traffic and allows all traffic (other than http).

With a proxy connection your ISP or company can still see the sites you are connecting to. Not so with a VPN.

You can set all your network traffic to go through a VPN.

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

With a proxy connection your ISP or company can still see the sites you are connecting to. Not so with a VPN.
okies...though that depends if they are remotely interested and have the time to dig out the info.... easier to ask google lol.

I only use proxy to make sites think I am somewhere else where restrictions may not apply....not for anonymity but for internet freedom of choice.

Might be of some use for bitorrent users since the trackers store your IP.

mike

tejeskifly

#8 Post by tejeskifly »

I know how can i install and use tor browser, but i want to use tor network to transfer all of my network data.

it is possible?

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

As mentioned and no one has said otherwise...proxy use is on an application setting basis.... its not windows which does it through the internet explorer settings so there is a lack of one universal setting...but on the other hand networking is handled sooo much better on linux...nature of the beastie.

mike