How do I unistall .pets from command line?

For groups of packages that don't all fall under the same category
rpil

#1 Post by rpil »

Let's saying, I've downloaded a program from a .pet file here, and I want to remove it. How can I do this in terminal? Puppy works with "apt-get" or with other command?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Pup's NOT Debian based. It's pacman is all GUI.. One of its *few* shortcomings.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rpil

#3 Post by rpil »

So, how I uninstall a program which is not in the package manager?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

How did you install, from src? Alternately you can use Pfind to weed out most leftovers.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cimarron

#5 Post by cimarron »

If it was installed from a .pet, then it should listed as installed in the package manager (in the lower right corner, usually). Clicking on that .pet in the list will then uninstall it.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Yep, my oversight.

When dealing with *forum* pets, BEWARE. Packagers are not always thorough, nor experienced, and pets are not always compatible. Best to have the pets packager state the pup it was compiled on and for which pups the pkg is intended to encompass. Yet another reason the majority of members here run frugal installs.

rpil

#7 Post by rpil »

Thanks, guys. :wink:

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

rpil, Semme, cimarron,
Let's saying, I've downloaded a program from a .pet file here, and I want to remove it. How can I do this in terminal?
Although it does not appear to be documented, it is very simple to uninstall from the command line:

Code: Select all

petget -[full pet name]
So, give petget the pet name but precede that with a hyphen.

trapster

#9 Post by trapster »

Well, who knew?!
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

L18L

#10 Post by L18L »

/usr/local/petget/README.txt wrote:'petget' is a commandline pkg install and uninstall script.

I have always interpreted the "hyphen" as "minus" :wink:

@rpil
[SOLVED] :?:

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Yeah, cli as long as you're in a graphical desktop. Try it from a pure terminal session..

It goes through the motions, but doesn't remove the pet. Not aboard 528 it doesn't.

Pseudo capability @ best.

Puppus Dogfellow

#12 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Semme wrote:Yeah, cli as long as you're in a graphical desktop. Try it from a pure terminal session..

It goes through the motions, but doesn't remove the pet. Not aboard 528 it doesn't.

Pseudo capability @ best.
it also appears to do diddly in precise 5.5 and precise 5.7.1/.2. well, it throws up some error messages, but i've yet to see it work with removal. haven't tried installation as it's just easier to click a pet and/or it's never occurred to me in time.