Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Sep 2018, 13:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 119 [1772 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 117, 118, 119 Next
luiscuadrado123

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 09:23    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi luiscuadrado123,

print to cupsPDF is working fine for me, but i do remember on precise it suddenly stopping working (after working for a while)and i couldn't figure out why

you can still use 'print to file' for a pdf.

hi 666philb

my problem is a litle more dificult... i use a program to draw cad files, like autocad (i am an surveying). I use Bricscad for linux, and in the plot menu, i dont have a "plot to file" option Sad

anyway... in a few days later, i will need to add printers on my pc (not today, i am with a lot of work Sad ) and i am thinking i will have problems with this
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 09:29    Post subject:  

Here is the first step for trouble-shooting a problem with printing.

1. Do a temporary clean install of Puppy by booting off the CD using the "puppy pfix=ram" boot option.

2. If needed, install your printer driver.

3. Print something. Can you reproduce the problem?

CUPS is designed to work in a true multi-user Linux environment where security is important, so it is sensitive to changes in the Linux ownership/permission system. This can be easily broken in Puppy by installing some extra package like Chrome.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:01    Post subject:  

There is a good argument for retiring CUPS-PDF from Puppy.

In the old Linux printing system, a print job left the application as a stream of Postscript data. The CUPS-PDF driver captured the stream, ran the program pstopdf and saved the PDF to your home directory.

But in the new Linux printing system, a print job now leaves the application already converted to PDF format. So CUPS-PDF just converts it into another PDF, often of poorer quality!

That's why Print to File is the preferred tool. Be aware that Print to File is a part of GTK. Non-GTK apps usually have their own "Export to PDF" tool. Or you can save the project in some graphics format and use PeasyPDF to convert it.
luiscuadrado123

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:03    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
There is a good argument for retiring CUPS-PDF from Puppy.

In the old Linux printing system, a print job left the application as a stream of Postscript data. The CUPS-PDF driver captured the stream, ran the program pstopdf and saved the PDF to your home directory.

But in the new Linux printing system, a print job now leaves the application already converted to PDF format. So CUPS-PDF just converts it into another PDF, often of poorer quality!

That's why Print to File is the preferred tool. Be aware that Print to File is a part of GTK. Non-GTK apps usually have their own "Export to PDF" tool. Or you can save the project in some graphics format and use PeasyPDF to convert it.

thanks for your help!

in a new fresh install, the cups-pdf work fine..

how can i fix it on my current save-folder/install?????
luiscuadrado123

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:15    Post subject:  

i try to add a network printer like i did in precise...

but i dont have the "Windows Printer via SAMBA (smbclient)" option in the list!! i have this list of options:

Backend Error Handler
Protocolo de Impresión de Internet IPP (http)
Protocolo de Impresión de Internet IPP (ipp)
Equipo o impresora LPD/LPR
AppSocket/HP JetDirect
Windows/Samba Printer

i tried to add using the last one, windows/samba but i dont know how to do... i know how to add using the: smbc://PC-name/Printer-name

how can add them?

EDIT: I DID. I USED THE "scsi://PC/PRINTER" PROTOCOL AND WORK FINE

I AM ONLY HAVE THE PROBLEM WITH THE CUPS-PDF Sad

Last edited by luiscuadrado123 on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:26; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:17    Post subject:  

Re: CUPS failure:

This can be difficult to fix. See the discussion here.

Also, check the folder /initrd/pup_rw. It should be owned by root and have 755 permissions. It should be readable and executable by everyone, but only writable by root.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:30    Post subject:  

luiscuadrado123 wrote:
i tried to add using the last one, windows/samba but i dont know how to do... i know how to add using the: smbc://PC-name/Printer-name.how can add them?

It works exactly the same as the old version.
Code:
smbw://PC-name/Printer-name

But smbw adds code for printers that require authentication or have trouble being detected on the network.
luiscuadrado123

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 11:35    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Re: CUPS failure:

This can be difficult to fix. See the discussion here.

Also, checked the folder /initrd/pup_rw. It should be owned by root and have 755 permissions. It should be readable and executable by everyone, but only writable by root.

hi

i check the permissions of /initrd/pup_rw as yo say.. and i have the correct permissions.

i follow the instructions in the post you say and nothing Sad
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 11:37    Post subject:  

luiscuadrado123 wrote:
EDIT: I DID. I USED THE "scsi://PC/PRINTER" PROTOCOL AND WORK FINE

Then your printing system is badly messed up. I tried using the scsi backend and got a "bad device" error, exactly what I expected.

[Edit] According to the Bricscad documentation, it has an Export to PDF option.
augras

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:42    Post subject:  

Hi,
666philb wrote:
augras wrote:
Hi,
On the non-pae tahrpup deadbeef doesn't work : the libraries seem to be on a wrong place. With symlinks it works but always in english even with the french .mo at the good place.
With openbox and lxpanel everything works fine, only the ram indicator in lxpanel doesn't work.
Xbindkeys from the ppm doesn't work : always crash when i save.
Thanks for that hard work,
Philippe

deadbeef is working fine for me on both noPAE and PAE, on a default tahrpup deadbeef is located in /opt with a symlink to it in /usr/bin .....

french working to

I just boot in a new tahrpup, in ram, and it doesn't work :
[url]# deadbeef
starting deadbeef 0.6.2 [static]
server_start
INFO: unlink socket: No such file or directory
searching for GUI plugins in /root/.local/lib32/deadbeef
searching for GUI plugins in /root/.local/lib/deadbeef
searching for GUI plugins in /opt/deadbeef/lib/deadbeef
load gui plugin
selected GUI plugin not found or failed to load, trying to find another GUI plugin
loading plugins from /root/.local/lib32/deadbeef
loading plugins from /root/.local/lib/deadbeef
loading plugins from /opt/deadbeef/lib/deadbeef
failed to find output plugin!
[/url]
In opt there is no /lib folder !
Philippe
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 13:20    Post subject:  

hi augras

it lives in /opt/deadbeef ...... it's the official deadbeef portable from the deadbeef site

i've just tried launching it through a terminal and you're right it doesn't load.. although it does through the menu and also clicking directly on the symlink in /usr/lib

we probably need a script in /usr/bin to change directory first and then launch deadbeef .... although the rightclick menu will need to link to it directly

i'll post a fix soon

vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 14:06    Post subject: Re: Openboxplus 1.6,1 in tahrpup 6.0 (nopae)
Subject description: Throwing Baby out with Bath water

mikeslr wrote:

I'm running tahrpup 6.0 nopae into which I installed vicmz's Openboxplus 1.6.1 using lxpanel and his gtk_theme_collection-20130511, I installed these from "storage" on my hard drive, having previously downloaded them from vicmz post. I haven't run into any problems. YET. But then I haven't attempted to install GTK3 themes. And I only just noticed that openboxplus 1.6.1 has been dropped from the thread, being replaced by openboxplus 1.6.2. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=703730#703730. Posts near the end of the thread indicate that the "upgrade" included fixes to accommodate the needs of Wheezy 1.2.
New is not always better. Some new applications require gtk3. But Puppy will happily operate with both gtk3 and gtk2 installed.
Openboxplus is my favorite GUI for OS control. Might I suggest (a) re-instating 1.61 for other than Wheezy Pups, and (b) including advice on the first post of that thread that when used with tahrpup gtk3 themes should be avoided.

Actually, the theme I installed isn't supposed to be GTK3, and it requires only libpixmap and the clearlooks engine. The desktop pager in Lxpanel from the PPM (v0.6.1) was somewhat unstable. I tried Openboxplus 1.6.2 (lxpanel 0.5.x) and it was just as you and Augras said, only the RAM space indicator didn't work. Take A Shot! didn't work either, it needs ffmpeg.

I made openboxplus-tahrpup-1.1.pet:

https://yadi.sk/d/A3GGHVqUcd52V

***EDIT***
There has been some trouble downloading from Yandex. It seems to work now but just to be on the safe side, here are links to folders containing all files (main and additionals), choose the mirror that works for you:

Yandex.Disk | Copy.com | MeOwnPlanet.net

TAS is replaced with PupSnap, press CTRL+Shift+S to open the PupSnap GUI to take screenshots. (Note: there's a new version of TAS compatible with Tahrpup, I'll include it in a future version.) Also, the Tint2 panel is now at the bottom of the screen, along with Wbar at the top, and right-clicking the Tint2 clock launches Pprocess, just like left-clicking the CPU indicator in Lxpanel does. I couldn't get the Lxpanel RAM indicator to work, so I removed it from the panel. The wallpaper is a bit dark for the icon names in the Rox pinboard, the picture below shows how to change the colour of the text.

Remeber that Tahrpup doesn't allow installing the same pet twice. If you switch to Tint2 and want to switch back to Lxpanel, you must uninstall Lxpanel from the PPM first, then reinstall it. The panel switcher is at Menu > Setup > Change Openbox Panel.
image-3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.95 KB
 Viewed   1178 Time(s)

image-3.jpg

lxpanel.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   52.58 KB
 Viewed   1167 Time(s)

lxpanel.jpg

tint2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   41.31 KB
 Viewed   1179 Time(s)

tint2.jpg

Last edited by vicmz on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 18:51; edited 2 times in total
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 15:50    Post subject:  

will new palemoon versions come through quickpet?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 21:09    Post subject:  

Thanks to the team for an amazing 'Puppy'; this one is awesome!

It's the third Puppy I've tried. I have a truly ancient Dell Inspiron laptop.....an original 1100, going on 12 years old now. Neither 'Precise' nor 'Slacko' would work on it; whether to do with the Intel 'Extreme' graphics chip, I can't say.....but the display was fragmented, and squashed up into the top left corner of the screen.

It used to run XP, but with its 'Netburst' Celeron CPU, it was like wading through molasses.....SLOOOOOW. 'Tahrpup' works perfectly; full screen, everything working as it should (even wireless!) AND network printing, too.

Excellent. 10/10 for this one!

Regards,

Mike.
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2014, 00:14    Post subject:  

@Mike Walsh -- a NetBurst Celeron would be Pentium 4 based. Twelve years ago brings us to 2002, which means that you quite likely have a "Willamette-128"-core Celeron, based on the first generation of Pentium 4's.

The good news is that the Celerons skipped over Socket 423 (which had some nasty speed-limiting electrical characteristics) but the bad news is that the Willamette generation of Pentium 4's and Celerons is what caused Intel to re-release the Tualatin (last-generation) Pentium 3's... the performance was abysmal and the thermal issues (Pentium 4's were remarkably high-wattage) were incredible. Your Celeron CPU consumes in excess of 60W on its own... now consider that Socket 478 CPUs such as yours are less than an inch-and-a-half square! It has to vent almost all of that as heat, which makes for one seriously toasty little chip... Wink

The problem with the NetBurst microarchitecture (as it's called), aside from pulling about as much juice as a particularly cheap and bright lightbulb, is that it was designed to be supremely awesome at multimedia processing (for examples, YouTube and video editing... more the second than the first though) because Intel honestly believed that was the future. LOL. It's not bad until you realize that this capability comes at the expense of severely if not completely handicapping the processor at doing absolutely anything and everything else. The term you are looking for here is 'misfeature', and for NetBurst, that one's a doozy. If you're using a P4 based system as an HTPC for streaming Netflix or what-have-you, great, it's in its element. Anything else? Get that heap a walker, it's going to need it.

For what most people do with a computer (email, a little Web stuff, and word processing / boring office-type stuff) you would actually be better off with a Tualatin P3 than any of the P4s. Heck, throw a Pentium M in there (based on the P3 for the very reasons discussed here) and you're even better off!

*ahem*

Probably, given the fat ball of yarn I just spun above, your graphics issues are caused by a combination of old laptop being old, heat, and possibly a driver issue. The best thing you could do with that laptop is to take it to a good tech shop (independent -- avoid Borked Buy and the like) and ask them to replace the "Thermal Interface Material" (TIM or thermal paste/goop/etc for short/slang). After a half-dozen years or so (likely less, on something putting out as much heat as what you've got) the TIM gets dry and crusty and stops doing its job -- which is to transmit heat from the CPU to the cooling system -- and in fact becomes something of a thermal insulator. I have a habit of referring to the silicone-based stuff often found in eg Dell P4 desktops as pigeon$#!* because of both its appearance and performance -- it's primer grey in color, thick sloppy paste-goop, and once it's baked solid, pulling the heatsink off usually yanks the proc right out with it! (Fortunately, this rarely damages either CPU or the socket... although what it does to my nerves ain't good...)

If you're experienced with laptop repairs, I can guide you through a TIM/goop replacement... it's not that hard in and of itself, but it requires a few special things. Laptops in general come apart like jigsaw puzzles (only, if you screw up you have to replace parts, lol) but a delicate hand, small screwdrivers, and some patience are all you really need if you know at least vaguely what you're doing.

Page 11 of 119 [1772 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 117, 118, 119 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: