64 bit pupsaveconfig (solved)

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
woodymnt

64 bit pupsaveconfig (solved)

#1 Post by woodymnt »

The very first thing I did when trying new puppies was go to the event manager and set auto save to "0", and then install pupsaveconfig-2.2.5.pet. I did this because I run from a USB drive and I have OCD about puppy hammering away at it unnecessarily. Also, if I screw something up, I have the option to not save the screw up.

Pupsaveconfig-2.2.5 was perfect because it had an attractive screen to prompt yes or no to save at shutdown. Using the method where you edit /etc/rc.d/rcshutdown talked about a lot * is rather ugly, and I think I found that this still saves the unchanged filesystem to the USB every time, thus wearing it out anyway. (I compared the time index of the pupsave file to before and after the session, and it had changed.) Pupsaveconfig 2.2.5 would say truthfully "session not saved".

Lighthouse 515 would install this pet successfully with a minor hiccup, but Lighthouse 602 refuses to reboot or shutdown once it is installed. The same goes with Fatdog. A 64 bit version of this pet is needed. Thank you very much.

* Here is the thread referenced above
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=384393
Last edited by woodymnt on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Running a LIVE system from HDD/USB/Bluray/DVD/CD/SD, either!

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Woodymnt

What you are asking is for a method to run a "Live" system as is done from a CD/DVD. When using the Live approach, no session changes are written until shutdown or manually requested.

One member and an associate has accomplished just this thing. In their accomplishment, the system doesn't care if you are running LIVE from any media. It will save your session's work when selected, once requested.

You might send a PM to @Ted Dog. He has accomplished this very thing. His approach does NOT care if you are running Live from a USB, from a DVD or ... The approach which is useful for the very reasons you mention, has not, yet, gotten developer community adoption.

But, he had taken steps to make this ever so simple.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

Lighthouse has its own builtin way to accomplish the same thing. It is a boot option, pfix=noautosave

http://www.lhpup.org/help/faqs/LH64-boot-options.htm

woodymnt

#4 Post by woodymnt »

Thanks dancytron, the boot option works nicely. In that link I also found sfsauto to be useful.

@gcmartin, hopefully Ted Dog's fix will get more attention for other pups.

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Great! And, thanks @Dancytron. Lighthouse has hurdle this among other things on behalf of the user.

I love "sfsauto" because it allows you to automatically load any SFSs found on the root of the DVD/Bluray/Frugal at boot time. It automatically incorporates them for you so that when it arrives at your desktop, all of the SFSs found will be available for use without user intervention of any kind. This gives the appearance that all was built-in to the system.

Another of those novel approaches which has been around for over 3-4 years but has also gone unnoticed.

Lighthouse offers many hidden gems built into the Base/Mariner versions. It was the first true replacement to arrive in Puppyland that completely replaces an Apple or WindowsXP-Pro system OOTB with equivalent functionality negating any need for any users to install anything for true equivalency. The first followed only PhatSlacko for 32bit PCs on that timeline.

I wish more developers with 64bit PCs would merely boot its Mariner edition ISO just to see the OOTB stuffs that quietly catches one's eye after setting the hostname in FirstRUN. Its a beauty to behold.

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

dancytron wrote:Lighthouse has its own builtin way to accomplish the same thing. It is a boot option, pfix=noautosave
...But this only works for that session.
The developer told me he intended to include [in his next version] a startup command that made it permanent...
But he never did issue "the next version".
I've been waiting for it. :(

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

If I'm not mistaken, you can set it in the menu.1st file.

For example,

Code: Select all

title Lighthouse64 Linux 602 frugal in sda3 dir L64-602 ataflash noautosave
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /L64-602/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=L64-602 pfix=noautosave
initrd /L64-602/initrd.xz
That's for frugal install on a hard drive. Not sure if "ataflash' is actually necessary. It's been a while, so I'm not sure how it would translate to other installs.

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

dancytron wrote:That's for frugal install on a hard drive. Not sure if "ataflash' is actually necessary. It's been a while, so I'm not sure how it would translate to other installs.
I'm no expert, but I'd guess it IS necessary.
I use pmedia=ataflash in the isolinux.cfg file in the ISO used to make the "live" Puppy optical disk so as to make the Puppy treat the pupsave file on an internal HDD partition as if its a pupsave file on a partition on a Flash Drive.
That then produces the means to choose to manually "Save..." during the session and disable auto-save.
BUT...it doesn't work with any 64-bit Puppies I tried. :(

2. I don't use a bootloader [just boot a "live" CD-RW], so there's no menu.1st file.

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

If using Base/Mariner on LH64, the CD/DVD bootmanager uses "grub.cfg" on the root of the disc. You can use ISOmaster to replace that from an ISO of your current system (Remaster one).

Hope this helps.
BTW, this would have been a good set of posts for the LH64 thread.

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

Using Lighthouse64-6.02-B2_Mariner.iso

1. Copied the grub.cfg file from the ISO to a handy folder.
Opened it using leafpad.
Here is, I believe, the entry that may need to be modified:

Code: Select all

menuentry "1 Lighthouse64" {
    linux /vmlinuz
    initrd /initrd.xz
To what should it be changed?
I would be using a L64save.3fs file made previously, but generally/previously unused.
...And booting using the above menu entry.

2. Here is the address of the /mnt/home/08-Lighthouse64/L64save.3fs file.

3. I know how to use ISOMaster to replace grub.cfg on the ISO with the modified copy.

gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Try the recommendation offered by @Dancytron. You can test what he offers by hitting the "tab key" when the boot menu appears and change the line at the bottom on the boot screen to have the parms you deem appropriate for boot. In fact, you can make a boot time change for ANY one of those boot options as you deem appropriate for system boot.
Question
With the savesession file that you have, using option 1 at bootmenu, doesn't it get found by LH4 at boot time? If so (it how it works for me), what is needed is @Ted Dog to recommend how to turn off constant session updating until session end, where you would have a choice of save to that savesession file or not.

Am I understanding correctly?

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

1. Am I understanding correctly?
YES.

2. "Try the recommendation offered by @Dancytron. You can test what he offers by hitting the "tab key" when the boot menu appears and change the line at the bottom on the boot screen to have the parms you deem appropriate for boot."
a. OK, his suggestion [plus your instructions] will give me a rough idea of what and how to use commands at boot time.

b. Right now, my only "Lighthouse64-6.02-b2_Mariner" is a multi-session DVD+RW.
I guess I could choose item-1 on the menu rather than item-4, and hit the tab key, and type commands.
Would that seek and find the existing save file I wonder.
I expect so.
I'll experiment, and report back on results.

BUT...
3. Assuming the commands produce the desired result....
Exactly how should those commands look when included in the grub.cfg file?
I'd be like a Gorrilla with a hand grenade.
More likely to do harm than good.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

1. Regarding 2a above:
The commands appeared to do their job.
a. pmedia=ataflash produced a "Save..." icon on the desktop.
b. pfix=noautosave produced a "save or no-save?" dialog at shutdown.

2. Regarding 2b above:
a. Lighthouse OS found the save file, and used it methinks, BUT...
a1. When I told it to copy the SFS file to sit beside the save file, the OS FAILED to load to the desktop.
SO...
a2. I rebooted, and next time I told it to NOT copy the SFS file, but instead load it from the optical disk, and then it booted OK.
a3. I'll try using a 2nd Puppy to copy the SFS file to sit beside the save file, and see if it succeeds in booting that way.
It may be there is a version mismatch between the save file and the SFS.
This succeeded in booting to the desktop [typing this from it now], BUT...
All is not well, e.g. Xfe doesn't run = and "no such file or directory" if command entered in console.
Aha, I loaded it on-the-fly as an SFS, and it's a 32-bit SFS!
So I've unloaded it, and it has gone from the menu system.

3. Regarding 3 above:
a. So now I really am unsure how the commands aught to look in the grub.cfg file.
I'd be purely guessing.

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Great @Sylvander. I think you've gotten the hang of it now.

The first steps you are mastering as you find the combinations of what works for your configuration and what doesn't. Once you arrive at the final set of boot time parms that you feel most closely matches your desires you are ready to finalize your DVD via ISOmaster.

I would like to offer a recommendation. Would you consider, once you have the general command you feel represents, go to the Lighthouse thread and post the "boot-time command line" asking, there, for a recommendation or confirmation of what the .cfg file changes should look like. I offer such as other members may enhance the answers you need.

Expect swift results, there, and all to come clean.

Here to help