Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 11 Nov 2019, 20:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to open ROX desktop shortcuts with keyboard? [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2014, 05:37    Post subject:  How to open ROX desktop shortcuts with keyboard? [SOLVED]  

I'm stumped: After booting into the ROX desktop nothing seems to have focus. Pressing TAB sets focus to the first desktop icon, usually "file". How can I open it using the keyboard? Pressing ENTER or SPACEBAR lets the description flicker, but nothing else happens. I would find it strange if clicking an icon has no keyboard equivalent. Or is it only me?

P.S. Using individual keyboard shortcuts for desktop icons (defined in their "Edit Item" menu) is not what I am after.

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 00:38; edited 1 time in total
trapster

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2014, 13:15    Post subject:  

The closest I can get you... if you're using jwm wm, use 'Alt F1' for the menu and then use the arrow keys to navigate.

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 21:50    Post subject:  

Thanks, but that's not an option. My real target is one of the drive icons, which would make your workaround an awfully long ride Crying or Very sad
musher0

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2014, 01:24    Post subject:  

Hi, MochiMoppel. How are you doing?!

Simple: Bring your cursor over the "file" or "ROX-Filer" icon -> do a
right-click -> do a left-click on "Edit object": a panel opens.

In this panel, click on the long button just above the "locked" square.
Another little window opens. Type your key combination, such as
"Alt-Ctrl-F". The little window now closes and the key combo now
appears on the long button in the panel. Click "ok" or "Validate".
The panel closes.

Works for me! Smile Smile

Just be careful to use different key combinations for each desktop icon.

BFN.

musher0
ROX-keys_2014-11-11_00.17.13.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.43 KB
 Viewed   322 Time(s)

ROX-keys_2014-11-11_00.17.13.jpg

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2014, 21:09    Post subject:  

Merci beaucoup, but it's not an option. See P.S. in my first post Wink
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2014, 21:56    Post subject:  

Hmmm, hadn't noticed that before. I see what you mean. I wonder if it requires some kind of "action" to be specified in the PuppyPin file??

Also noticed that the 'tab + enter + icon flicker' appears semi-random - in the sense that it almost scans across the top line, then the second row down, then the third etc, but not quite - it jumps around slightly. Can't tell exactly what determines the order that the tab key uses to jump to the next icon. EDIT : Now that I think about it, it might be tiny differences in the vertical position of the icons that determines which icon the tab jumps to. They are probably not perfectly lined up across identical pixel rows on my desktop. Bad eyesight.

Are you using a singleclick environment? Does setting doubleclick offer any other options you can use?
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2014, 00:07    Post subject: Re: How to open ROX desktop shortcuts with keyboard?  

MochiMoppel wrote:
I'm stumped: After booting into the ROX desktop nothing seems to have focus. Pressing TAB sets focus to the first desktop icon, usually "file". How can I open it using the keyboard? Pressing ENTER or SPACEBAR lets the description flicker, but nothing else happens. I would find it strange if clicking an icon has no keyboard equivalent. Or is it only me?

P.S. Using individual keyboard shortcuts for desktop icons (defined in their "Edit Item" menu) is not what I am after.

My apologies if I reacted too quickly, MochiMoppei.

On what Puppy are you, with that problem, please? I have a similar
problem -- of ROX "simili" freezing -- on the new TahrPup-6, immediately
after boot. I have to do Alt-Ctrl-Backspace to go back to main console
and issue the usual command : xwin jwm -- or xwin pekwm, etc.

And then the ROX desktop behaves as usual.

BFN.

musher0

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2014, 21:38    Post subject:  

I've now tested various Puppies and all options. Conclusion:
ROX doesn't allow the use of the keyboard.

The reason why I was asking: I boot all my Puppies frugally from USB, no savefile, not remastered or altered in any way. The first thing after booting is to run my setup script, a file outside of Puppy on the USB stick. To get there as quickly as possible I would like to apply a key sequence. Starting with 2 times Alt+F4 to get past the initial screens is easy, but then I need to hit the sdb1 drive button. Kind of tricky using the mouse when the screen is rotated to portrait and the screen content is still landscape...
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2014, 23:00    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
I've now tested various Puppies and all options. Conclusion:
ROX doesn't allow the use of the keyboard.

The reason why I was asking: I boot all my Puppies frugally from USB, no savefile, not remastered or altered in any way. The first thing after booting is to run my setup script, a file outside of Puppy on the USB stick. To get there as quickly as possible I would like to apply a key sequence. Starting with 2 times Alt+F4 to get past the initial screens is easy, but then I need to hit the sdb1 drive button. Kind of tricky using the mouse when the screen is rotated to portrait and the screen content is still landscape...

the solution can't involve any modification to the pup? because if it's really that annoying to you, maybe it'd be worth it to open up the main sfs and add the program and shortcut to jwm-personal and a bin folder. wouldn't take very long and you could probably write a script that does it automatically for future use/other pups.
Jasper

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2014, 06:52    Post subject:  

Hi MochiMoppel.

My understanding is partial and poor, though

IF say, your sdb1 button appears to be at point "x" but is really at point "y" - then if you were to compute/find "y" as say, "672 696" might that be used with say,

Code:
xdotool mousemove 672 696
sleep 0.2
xdotool click 1

My regards
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2014, 14:51    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
To get there as quickly as possible I would like to apply a key sequence. Starting with 2 times Alt+F4 to get past the initial screens is easy, but then I need to hit the sdb1 drive button..
If you are already running a script that applies a key sequence, I presume you could add commands that will mount sdb1?

Or is the key sequence simply manual taps on the keyboard rather than the use of xdotool or similar?
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2014, 15:12    Post subject:  

Hey Jasper.. YOU-da-MAN! I knew your post would work the minute I saw it. CoolWink
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2014, 22:12    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
If you are already running a script that applies a key sequence, I presume you could add commands that will mount sdb1?
That's impossible. As I said I'm booting into a pristine Puppy and my goal is to run my first script. How could I possibly scriptify this step? That would be black magic Laughing

Quote:
Or is the key sequence simply manual taps on the keyboard ....
Correct! Sorry if this wasn't clear in my initial post ("How can I open it using the keyboard?"). Manual and fully analog Wink

@ Puppus, Jasper: This is a minor issue and not worth to customize the original Puppy sfs. I'm not awfully annoyed by the inability to use the keyboard for a basic task, only surprised. If all this mousing and key tapping would be unbearable I would probably put my setup script into /root/Startup.
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2014, 23:14    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:

@ Puppus, Jasper: This is a minor issue and not worth to customize the original Puppy sfs. I'm not awfully annoyed by the inability to use the keyboard for a basic task, only surprised. If all this mousing and key tapping would be unbearable I would probably put my setup script into /root/Startup.

aw, i was hoping to see what the script that decompresses the puppy.sfs, inserts a line in one file and a script in one directory and then recompresses the sfs looks like. Crying or Very sad

on a semi related note, i just put a few start up scripts in a bunch of remasters and found i had to manually click on two or three of them to get them to run at first boot. since your scenario is essentially always first boot, i was hoping to spare you from a potential annoyance. also figured you could reuse the thing. anyway, since coming across this thread, i sometimes find myself sitting at the machine annoyed i can't access the desktop icons with the keyboard.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov 2014, 01:41    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
anyway, since coming across this thread, i sometimes find myself sitting at the machine annoyed i can't access the desktop icons with the keyboard.
Me too. It's bugging me now. However I have found a way to do this. Boot the puppy without savefile, use Alt+F4 twice as suggested by Mochi, then pick the keyboard up off the desk, nudge the mouse till the pointer is in position over sdb1, then smash the keyboard down on the left click mouse button. Depending on the puppy you may need to do this last step twice in quick succession.

Its a quite satisfying way to overcome the lack of any other keyboard method of accessing the icons. Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: