Getting information on individual packages

Booting, installing, newbie
lesliek

Getting information on individual packages

#1 Post by lesliek »

I thought of trying to create my own custom version of Puppy 2.12 by using Puppy Unleashed. (I'm keen on using that version because it contains a module needed on my computer for audio.)

I've looked very cursorily at all the packages available for download, but didn't notice any information about the contents of each of them apart from its name.

Does there exist in some convenient form a description of the purpose of each individual package, which description I can look at in advance of starting the exercise?

Thanks,

Leslie

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

Check packages.txt in the root of the directory you get when you unTar Unleashed. There are a few short descriptions in there.

As there are many packages you will need by default, I would recommend just downloading them all and places them in the packages directory if possible.

lesliek

#3 Post by lesliek »

Thanks very much for replying, John.

I hadn't thought of selecting in advance which packages I'd download. I will download them all, but was just curious, not having realised, till confronted with the list of them, just how many packages went into the distribution.

I'll leash my curiosity till I can get to the packages.txt file.

Thanks again,

Leslie

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you rest the mouse over them, it will pop up a short description sometimes. Otherwise, just type the name in google and see what comes up.

I found that the best thing to do is remove only several things at a time, and document them. Then you can see if it breaks or not and fix it if it does.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

lesliek

#5 Post by lesliek »

Thanks very much for replying, Pizzasgood.

Your suggestion to document what you do is so sensible. I can't count the number of times I've done something computer-related and then said to myself, "Well, I won't have to think about that ever again", only to find that I have had to, haven't kept a record of what I did the first time around and can't for the life of me remember what it was I did before!

Thanks again,

Leslie

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:If you rest the mouse over them, it will pop up a short description sometimes. Otherwise, just type the name in google and see what comes up.

I found that the best thing to do is remove only several things at a time, and document them. Then you can see if it breaks or not and fix it if it does.
You should mention that the tooltip thing is in PupGet… what it shows you is the same as the second field in the packages.txt file, which is info and dependencies (and size).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind