tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#201 Post by bigpup »

When you run menu>>>utility>>resize personal storage file.

Does it give you size options to choose?

Or does it give you this:
Attachments
capture17743.png
(9.94 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

Palemoon installer use to update

#202 Post by bigpup »

This is the Pale moon installer.

Unpack and it contains the installer script and a readme file.

Left click on the installer script file and one of the options is to update Pale moon.

Works great.

I am now updated to Pale moon V25.1.0
Attachments
capture5577.png
(15.18 KiB) Downloaded 952 times
pminstaller-0.1.6.tar.bz2
(95.45 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Regarding pmount problem

#203 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks gyro,

I've copied your suggestion to a file named pmount_problem.txt, which I've saved to the my-notes folder on /mnt/home. Now all I have to remember if a pmount problem pops up again is that I have a note about it on /mnt/home/my-notes.

mikesLr

666philb

Re: Palemoon installer use to update

#204 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:This is the Pale moon installer.

Unpack and it contains the installer script and a readme file.

Left click on the installer script file and one of the options is to update Pale moon.

Works great.

I am now updated to Pale moon V25.1.0
i've added this in latest bugfixes .... although 1 user has reported a problem with palemoon crashing after updating ... we'll see how it goes
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mariojrmatos

resize personal storage file

#205 Post by mariojrmatos »

bigpup wrote:When you run menu>>>utility>>resize personal storage file.

Hi bigpup.

Thank you for your help.

No. The “resize personal storage file

666philb

Re: resize personal storage file

#206 Post by 666philb »

mariojrmatos wrote:
bigpup wrote:When you run menu>>>utility>>resize personal storage file.

Hi bigpup.

Thank you for your help.

No. The “resize personal storage file
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#207 Post by 666philb »

torgo wrote: But in Tahr, XorgWizard doesn't even show "radeon" as an option. The only non-generic driver that shows up is the "ati" one.

Anyone else using on-board Radeon 3000 graphics? Does anyone know if all this might be happening because of different Linux kernels, or changes in XOrgWizard? Or is it a Tahr thing?
i have on-board Radeon 3000 graphics and xorg picks the correct accelerated driver. radeon is loaded automatically using KMS. you can see if it's loaded by typing glxgears into a terminal.

torgo

#208 Post by torgo »

666philb wrote:
torgo wrote: But in Tahr, XorgWizard doesn't even show "radeon" as an option. The only non-generic driver that shows up is the "ati" one.

Anyone else using on-board Radeon 3000 graphics? Does anyone know if all this might be happening because of different Linux kernels, or changes in XOrgWizard? Or is it a Tahr thing?
i have on-board Radeon 3000 graphics and xorg picks the correct accelerated driver. radeon is loaded automatically using KMS. you can see if it's loaded by typing glxgears into a terminal.

I'm sure the driver is there - I copied the xorg.conf file from a Precise 5.7.1 save file where I had set up the radeon driver. Once that xorg.conf file is in place, it's fine.

But I have no idea how to get xorgwizard to recognize that "radeon" is an appropriate driver so that I can set it up within Tahr.

One note: it's actually the HD3000 that is on my two motherboards (an ECS A960M-MV and an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3). One site had listed just "Radeon 3000" for the ECS board, and it's not listed in the user manual, but I checked the specs from the ECS web site and it's HD3000. Not sure if that makes a difference - it should be able to use the radeon driver either way.

Is there any way to choose a specific driver to configure? I'd like to be able to do it from within Tahr rather than having to do it in Precise.

mariojrmatos

Re: resize personal storage file

#209 Post by mariojrmatos »

666philb wrote: hi mariojrmatos

i just tried resizing a savefile on a usb and it worked for me.

what filesystem is on the usb e.g fat,ext3,ntfs ?
how big is the save file at the moment?

save to folder is only available for linux formatted partitions. i've not tried gyros converter yet

Hi 666philb.

Thank you ;-)

I hadn't noticed my USB stick was FAT32... :oops: that was the reason why I couldn't resize my personal storage space... file size limitation... dah! :P

I wrote a small script to perform frugal installations automatically because I (re)install Puppy a lot to develop its portuguese language pack but I forgot to include the line to choose NTFS over the default FAT32 8)
I am not a programmer, I just have some limited knowledge of programing, so, sometimes my first attempt doesn't work perfectly... but it's worth for the effort alone, right? :lol:

I already fixed it and it's running like a charm, as always.

I take this opportunity to thank you and all the people involved in puppy linux 6.0 tahrpup CE and, of course, all of those involved in Puppy's development since its initial release.
I've been using Puppy everyday for many years now and I can't express my gratitude for its great community, hence my commitment to help its expansion by translating Puppy into Portuguese and introducing this small wonderful OS to anyone who could benefit from it.
Last edited by mariojrmatos on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91431]Puppy em pt_PT[/url] | [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93419]Puppy em pt_BR[/url]
[url=http://puppylinuxemportugues.blogspot.com]Blog Puppy Linux em Português[/url]

666philb

#210 Post by 666philb »

torgo wrote:
666philb wrote:

I'm sure the driver is there - I copied the xorg.conf file from a Precise 5.7.1 save file where I had set up the radeon driver. Once that xorg.conf file is in place, it's fine.

But I have no idea how to get xorgwizard to recognize that "radeon" is an appropriate driver so that I can set it up within Tahr.

One note: it's actually the HD3000 that is on my two motherboards (an ECS A960M-MV and an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3). One site had listed just "Radeon 3000" for the ECS board, and it's not listed in the user manual, but I checked the specs from the ECS web site and it's HD3000. Not sure if that makes a difference - it should be able to use the radeon driver either way.

Is there any way to choose a specific driver to configure? I'd like to be able to do it from within Tahr rather than having to do it in Precise.
i have the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard and don't have a problem.... try booting live then run glxgears in a terminal .... if the cogs show the driver is loaded.

you can also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log mine says

Code: Select all

[    17.840] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    17.840] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[    17.840] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    17.840] 	compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[    17.840] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    17.841] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    17.841] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[    17.841] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[    17.847] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    17.847] 	compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[    17.847] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    17.847] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0

torgo

#211 Post by torgo »

666philb wrote:
i have the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard and don't have a problem.... try booting live then run glxgears in a terminal .... if the cogs show the driver is loaded.

you can also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log mine says

Code: Select all

[    17.840] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    17.840] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[    17.840] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    17.840] 	compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[    17.840] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    17.841] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    17.841] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[    17.841] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[    17.847] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    17.847] 	compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[    17.847] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    17.847] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0

Good to know you have the same board. That will help with the diagnosis. I think part of the problem is that something on my SSD drive got corrupted when I had to do a hard reset.

But I also think there's still a problem running xorgwizard.

I started again - with a completely different SSD drive, creating a brand new save folder from the live CD.

Glxgears works. I figured it would and that the radeon driver was loaded because the system works great with the xorg.conf file that I had copied from my Precise save file.

So... the clean save file works great - as long as I never EVER run the xorgwizard.

If I do run xorgwizard, the following happens:

1 = the only listed driver choices are ati (no KMS, requires reboot) and modesetting.

2 = if I click "help", it says that several accelerated drivers were found that would be appropriate, and radeon (KMS required) is one of them.

3 = if I click "cancel" to get out of xorgwizard, then when I get back to my desktop the mouse is dead and I have to do a hard reset/power off.

4 = when I choose "ati (no KMS, requires reboot)" and then 1024x768, it then has to reboot in order to test X.

The test appears to be successful - it gives the "if you can read this then X is working" dialog box. But when I click OK, all I get is a black screen with a blinking line. The system is entirely unresponsive, and I have to do a hard reset/power off.

Unfortunately, after the hard reboot I'm now getting one of those referenced inode deleted errors on my ext2 partition where I had created the save folder.

666philb

#212 Post by 666philb »

hi torgo,

i know xorgwizard has problems in tahrpup (mentioned in the second post), i'm still trying to figure out why ...... the option to pick 'no KMS' seems to be the problem.
but my point is that you shouldn't actually need to run xorgwizard anyway as KMS picks the correct driver automatically ..
yes run xorgwizard if you install the proprietary driver, but as default tahrpup should boot on your motherboard with hardware acceleration enabled via the radeon driver automatically.
Last edited by 666philb on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 00:15, edited 7 times in total.

666philb

#213 Post by 666philb »

kernel 3.17.4 uploaded http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... r/kernels/

hopefully with...
via unichrome graphic support
chomeos touchpad
acer kernel fan control

torgo

#214 Post by torgo »

666philb wrote:hi torgo,

i know xorgwizard has problems in tahrpup (mentioned in the second post), i'm still trying to figure out why ...... the option to pick 'no KMS' seems to be the problem.

Gotcha. I didn't know the second post meant the problem was that extreme - I'm not even changing drivers, and xorgwizard still fails even with the driver that it had already selected.

With that in mind, there might be another problem on top of getting it to list drivers requiring KMS.

Two successes:

(1) confirmed: as you said, just using the preconfigured ati driver instead of the radeon driver does work - as long as the xorgwizard is never used for anything at all.

(2) selecting the radeon driver using xorgwizard in Precise 5.7.1 and then copying the xorg.conf file to the Tahr setup also seems to work. The "quick setup" window lists the radeon driver as the one in use.

I haven't tried that trick yet with the vesa driver or with other drivers requiring KMS, but I may have to play with that on other systems just to see what happens.

knl

Flash issue

#215 Post by knl »

Not sure if I'm in the right place, but ...
I'm playing around with this and can't get pages to use flash in firefox despite it being installed.

I installed using both methods listed at the puppy linux org site, both extracting the tar.gz and using GetFlash.

I guess one question I have is which /usr/lib directory should flash be installed? At root or in the tahrsave on the usb I use to boot? I see libflashplayer.so files in both places. Under root tho, there is no mozilla directory. Do I delete the file at root?

joaomcteixeira

#216 Post by joaomcteixeira »

I there!
Great work on Puppy Tahr! :-)

I have Frugal installed on sda1, and I placed the save file (folder type this time instead of .sf4) on sda3. But, on boot, the system won't reach the save file, perhaps because it is in a different partition?

Is there a way to solve this issue? Or do I really need to keep the save file in the same partition of the boot files?

I am trying to have a small partition for different boots and a big partition for several save files.

Thanks in advance,

Dud

Re: Clicking USB-Key's desktop drive icon only initiates pmount

#217 Post by Dud »

gyro wrote:
mikeslr wrote:clicking the desktop drive icon only brings up pmount. It doesn't initiate rox.
I've just seen this problem again, and even though it wasn't tahr,

In this case the arguments contained in the icon were wrong. They were "drive vfat" when they should have been "drive ext4". Once I edited the arguments in the icon, it worked perfectly.

Next time you have this problem, try checking the icon arguments. Right click on the icon and select "Edit Item", it's the second field.

gyro
I've tried this - it shows ext3 or ext4 as it should - the remove items and clear out pup_event method doesn't help either. There are 5 HD drives on this box, (of which 3 IDE) all affected, and the delay is a real pita.

Non pae, frugal, saving to folder.

Is there some way to wind back to an earlier version?

bigpup

Re: Flash issue

#218 Post by bigpup »

knl wrote:libflashplayer.so files in both places. Under root tho, there is no mozilla directory. Do I delete the file at root?
The mozilla directory in root is a hidden directory.
In Rox file manager.
Click on the eye icon to see hidden directories.

In Firefox->Tools->Add_ons->Plugins

Do you see Flash player and is it active?

When using Getflash.
Did you use menu->Internet->Getflash install Flashplayer?

If you installed Firefox.
How did you do it?
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#219 Post by bigpup »

joaomcteixeira wrote:I there!

I have Frugal installed on sda1, and I placed the save file (folder type this time instead of .sf4) on sda3. But, on boot, the system won't reach the save file, perhaps because it is in a different partition?I
Where exactly is the save directory(folder) on sda3?
Is it on the top layer of partition or inside another directory inside another directory, etc...?
Need specific details.

Also, what boot loader are you using?
Could you post the boot menu entry to see if something there could be the problem.
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#220 Post by musher0 »

joaomcteixeira wrote:I there!

I have Frugal installed on sda1, and I placed the save file (folder type
this time instead of .sf4) on sda3. But, on boot, the system won't reach
the save file, perhaps because it is in a different partition?

Is there a way to solve this issue? Or do I really need to keep the save
file in the same partition of the boot files?

I am trying to have a small partition for different boots and a big partition
for several save files.

Thanks in advance,
Hello joaomcteixeira.

Perhaps you need to insert the psavemark parameter in the grub boot line, as indicated here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ost#584776

That said, it is always more efficient, to boot the Puppy faster, to have all
the Puppy files in the same partition and folder.

For example, this is what I have in my grub menu.lst entry for Puppy Tahr:
title Puppy Tahr-6
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/TahrPup-6/lance/vmlinuz max_loop=9 pfix=copy,fsck root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd pdev=sda7 psubdir=TahrPup-6 loglevel=3
initrd (hd0,6)/TahrPup-6/lance/initrd.gz
boot
Please note the logical order, from larger to smaller:
pmedia -> pdev -> psubdir
type of disk -> partition number -> subdirectory

All my Puppy files, including the pupsave file, are in /mnt/sda7/TahrPup-6.
The typical linux files kernel and initrd are beneath, in
/mnt/sda7/TahrPup-6/lance. They "pick up" the Puppy files in the upper
directory as they launch.

I hope this helps. Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)