How to download/install Unleashed/PupGet packages

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
J_Rey

How to download/install Unleashed/PupGet packages

#1 Post by J_Rey »

The Puppy Unleashed page shows how to download all the packages via FTP when using Puppy Linux. But there is no file on the FTP server that describes what the packages are. It doesn't say that if Puppy is already installed that you can use the PupGet package manager included with Puppy and that with it all the available descriptions are listed, and that they are also in a file (included with Puppy) called packages.txt. So, we have some problems to address:

First, we need to answer how someone that wants to download most of the Puppy Unleashed packages without using Puppy is going to access the needed (for many reasons) descriptions, set permissions, and whatever else is needed for the packages to be installed. Yes, I know Puppy Linux needs to be running to install Unleashed but why can't one download first then install? My situation: I have three Winmodems and a USB-connected DSL modem; none work with Puppy, yet. Now, of course, I want to use my high-speed connection instead of dialup....

Second, we need to add info about the three methods of installation on both "official" pages (after that on the PupGet Wiki page and this forum's Howto section). The "three":
  1. Download via FTP and install with Puppy
  2. Download via FTP without Puppy then install with Puppy
  3. After initial install, download and install more packages with Puppy's PupGet Package Manager

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, there are some gaps in the documentation.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

I think every distro has probs with documentation - I feel ours is very good for documentation - though I agree finding is down to alternative indexing systems . . .

Adding material to the wiki is easy
it is worth registering on the wiki - that would show good intent - with a CamelCase name eg CrustyLobster (big case letter at beginning and middle or end)

- though of course most pages you can just edit by doubleclicking on . . .
(no registering needed)

If you have a pet project by concentrating all the info on a wiki - it can serve you and Puppy (the much fabled win - win situation)

:)

PS.
Peace fractal
http://www.zapatopi.net/themes/dactylefractalzoom.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

J_Rey

#4 Post by J_Rey »

Yeah, I agree. With all the time I took writing my first comment, I could have taken the same amount of time and put the needed info on the Wiki pages, but I don't know the answer(s) myself and I can't put packages.txt on the FTP server. Keep up the good work! FYI: My Wiki name is JeyRey. :)