Wine issues - audio cd, winamp plugins, MBR wiped

Using applications, configuring, problems
joki

Wine issues - audio cd, winamp plugins, MBR wiped

#1 Post by joki »

think i've narrowed it down it to the Wine 0.9.22 sfs and/or the
Wine-0.9.22-drive_c-and-Wordview.pup

anyone had probs with these? (got from www.dotpups.de) any fixes?

i'm not using grub or anything which makes use of the mbr so an "fdisk /mbr" fixes it but it's a pain to have to boot from floppy.

i have only added one prog in wine (1by1, which didnt need an installer)

If i start puppy 2.12 and dont go into wine my mbr is ok (so that's 2.12 in the clear pretty much). if i run wine the mbr is wiped and i have to boot with a win98 startup disk...

edit: change topic title to reflect the nature of its content a bit more accurately
Last edited by joki on Thu 30 Nov 2006, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Every once in a while I get the "No operating system found". I never have tried to narrow it down to why. But, I just played with wine (wine-0.9.22_211 renamed to 212.sfs) and opened excel + 1by1 and then rebooted with no problems.

Puppy212 / Frugal install using autoexec.bat in WinME to multiple boot.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

joki

#3 Post by joki »

...found the problem - a dodgy winamp plugin i added to 1by1 called "in_cdreader.dll" (version 2.0b3) - why a plugin would reset the mbr i dont know (virus infected?) i got it from free-codecs. of course it could be the innocent party but it does something which wine interprets as "wipe the mbr"

other plugins not working (but not afflicted by the mbr-wipe syndrome) are in_wm.dll (for wma), and in_cdda.dll (for audio cds, hence reason why i tried in_cdreader.dll)

has anyone got cdplayer.exe to work (with an audio cd in) in wine? i keep getting "no cd" errors. if that could work then in_cdda.dll will probably work

ezeze5000

re-dll files

#4 Post by ezeze5000 »

If at first you don't succeed try try again!

edoc

Re: re-dll files

#5 Post by edoc »

I am having trouble with WINE in 2.12

Any reason to *not* throw this in a folder somewhere for WINE to access in case it needs it?

I have original Win95 Full and Win98SE Upgrade CD's if there are DLL's from there I should copy somewhere.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

joki

Re: re-dll files

#6 Post by joki »

edoc, as far as i know the in_cdda.dll and all the in_xxxx.dll 's are winamp plugins. if you are not using an application which supports winamp plugins then these dlls are of no use.
Have you managed to play audio cds in wine? I would like to know how you've managed to do this.

i have an in_cdda.dll already which is being picked up, maybe a newer version may help, but i suspect the problem is with Wine (its config or emulation of the cd drive). had a quick browse around winehq with no luck.

If i could get windows cdplayer.exe to play an audio cd in wine then i reckon evrything else will work.