slax linux is kinda neat

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Bancobusto

slax linux is kinda neat

#1 Post by Bancobusto »

Hi, I noticed a post somewhere about Slax, and would love to ramble on there but cannot find it again (grumble... search button is not my friend lately...hmmm).

Anyhow, I have a 700mhz P3 with 128mg ram. I've found that any Distro, whether a live CD or not, that has KDE as it's desktop environment runs very poorly on my machine. That's Ok, because I prefer Fluxbox or IceWM, but there's a point to this preamble.

Somehow, KDE runs really nicely on Slax. Things open up reasonably fast (not as fast as Puppy, NO!) - but overall about twice as fast as I'm accustomed to it working.

When I downloaded the YOPER iso, having read about all the benefits of pre-linking, I was a little dissapointed - yeas, KDE seemed to run a little faster, but the machine froze up consistently, so that really didn't work for me.

Slax seems to be what Yoper was supposed to be (in my mind, anyway). It's based in Slackware apparently, where as yoper is (I forget, my brains saying RPM based, anyway).

Hardware detection seemed fine - I don't have anything special here, so that isn't usually a problem for me. Don't know how well it would do for those of you with more exotic hardware.

So I guesse what I'm saying is that overall, I think Slax is a pretty good KDE demo. It really doesn't come with much for it's size, Puppy blows it out of the water in that regard, but I can see Slax as being usefull as a KDE demo to someone who's curious.

Just my thoughts, we all get the typing bug sometimes

:D

Note;

It has an option to install to hard drive, I tried it and was further impressed by it's speeed. However, It doesn't seem to have the option of not taking over the MBR, so for that I wouldn't advise it unless you know what your doing.

Cheers 8)

EarlSmith

#2 Post by EarlSmith »

I tried Slax a while back and it wouldn't print.
There is also a version named Klax mostly setup for Europe I think, wouldn't see my network card or router.

Bancobusto

#3 Post by Bancobusto »

hmmm. . .

I don't have a printer right now, so I didn't notice that. That's a bit of a strike against it.

Oh well....

(where's my little Puppy?) :P