Should I send my nana in India a Puppy CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
mthakur2006

Should I send my nana in India a Puppy CD?

#1 Post by mthakur2006 »

Hi guys,
My nana lives in India, and he does not know anything about computers. But he brought a computer with the following specs:

Cyrix M-II 233 Mhz
64 MB Ram
10 GB HDD
SiS Video Card
Soundblaster Audio Card
Samsung 40X CD Drive
1.44" Floppy Drive
56K Modem External
No USB Ports.

It had Win 98 on it but it was too slow and kept crashing so he left the idea of computers. But I want to get his computer working back up again so that he can enjoy it . The problem is I live in UK. I have burnt a xubuntu - alternate cd for him and planning on sending it by post to him. I am not very confident as to whether this would work...also if it does, then he will need to load those codecs to listen to cds (which is one of the things he wants to do..). Any suggestions as to how I can help him.

P.S. He doesnot have broadband as the computer is too old for it
Thanks in advance.
Hello :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You could try sending him a bootable CD of Puppy 2.12, but without a swap partition on his hard drive it might not boot. Puppy seems to work best with at least 128 MB of combined RAM/swap memory. Some people have reported success booting Puppy with less than that, so it's worth a try. If the Puppy CD does boot, he will be able to listen to CDs using Gxine that comes with Puppy.

randiroo76073

#3 Post by randiroo76073 »

I'm not sure but what Ubuntu wouldn;t be a little slow on that machine also, I would send him a copy of Puppy too & let him see which does best on his computer, I'm betting on Puppy, it's a whole lot lighter & has all the apps he'll need :) Is it possible to upgrade his ram?
Randy
aka: randiroo76073

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!

barriew

#4 Post by barriew »

I couldn't get Ubuntu live to load on my 128mb laptop! Puppy does though.

Barrie

Ganymedes

#5 Post by Ganymedes »

Eh, since you asked for suggestions .... maybe you should send him a Puppy Live-CD AND 128 Mbytes of memory. That kind of memory does not cost anything if you find somebody who is trashing his computer(s) (or a company, but that may be too late for that kind of memory). That would be 4 32 Mbyte SIMMs or 8 16 Mbyte SIMMs - with some digging you might be able to send him several options for the correct memory.

I am sure that he could find somebody who would install that memory for him.

... just an idea ...

mthakur2006

Thanks

#6 Post by mthakur2006 »

Thanks a lot for the reply guys...I'll get back to you as soon as I can as to what I actually did later....... :) :)

mthakur2006

#7 Post by mthakur2006 »

I am......going to india to set it up for him! :D